Packers Rookie of the Year

Which guy will be our D rookie of the year?

• Total voters

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it's waaaaay early.

That being said, which guy will be our D Rookie of the Year this year?

Jerel Worthy (Warren Sapp clone), or
Nick Perry (Brian Orakpo clone)?

I seriously doubt Hayward or Daniels has a realistic chance so I am only putting the 2 studs in here to vote on. Both of them should be instant starters and will have a lot of opportunities to wreak havoc in the backfields, getting after QBs.

JEREL "James" WORTHY
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NICK "Governor" PERRY
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Voted for Perry. He will be the starter from day one. Worthy will play but not as much and won't have same impact.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Worthy busting thru the middle..... Matthews sack #'s will go way up as teams now will have to account for the other OLB spot.... I don't see Nick getting tons of sacks.... but Worthy will penetrate like a Warren Sapp in there with focus on the edges, and with BJ Raji being fresher than ever. Hargrove having to be accounted for, and the rookie Daniels a John Randle clone.

I hope Clay gets 14 sacks, Perry gets 7, Worthy gets about 6, causes some fumbles, makes a few highlight plays, stuffs....
Can't wait for this defense.
Please stay healthy fellas.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Perry is in the best spot to put up the numbers to back up the Rookie of the year title, more so because of his position. We will have a lot of guys fighting to play the 3 and a lot of times 2 DL spots and with the new additions via draft and free agency there will be a lot of guys rotating in and out during a game. I think Perry will be the starter at OLB and unless he really falls off in his pass coverage he wont be seeing a lot of rotating as the season progresses

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone should make a similar thread about guessing where our total defense will be ranked.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone should make a similar thread about guessing where our total defense will be ranked.
I like the way you think.... but instead of total defense, it's passing defense. We were dead last at #32 last year allowing the most yards passing ever by any team in one season, in the history of the National Football League!

And our sack % was #32 last year among the 32 teams!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like Daniels and McMillian belong in that poll as well...

Edit: My vote's for Daniels.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked Worthy. I'm a little bit worried that Perry will have some adjustment problems moving to more of a OLB position, although I think Capers will have defensive schemes that allow Perry to play an elephant end role as well.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I"m going Perry, even if both crack starting rotation, Perry will see alot more snaps. DL rotation will limit Worthy's looks.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy's impact will go hand in hand w/ Perry's, most likely will be playing on the same side. Worthy won't collect stats as often as Perry, but if you watch w' your football-head instead of your fan-head...I betcha Worthy will bring a presence on the DLINE when he's coupled w/ BJ RAJI, PICKETT, & Co....now after spelling that out...if worthy really is this "first-round-talent", that DLINE is looking SWEET!

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is really all subjective on what you think is more important. I believe Jerel Worthy will crack the starting lineup and be in there with Pickett and Raji. The down lineman in a 3-4 are supposed to occupy blockers and allow the linebackers to rush freely. They aren't really supposed to make tackles or sacks unless its an obvious passing down or they are running the ball and hopefully stop them at the line of scrimmage or behind it. If I had to say who would get more tackles and sacks its obviously going to be Nick Perry. If I had to say who would be more important to the team I think it might be Jerel Worthy. Him playing the opposite end from Clay Matthews might make them think twice on using a tight end and running back to constantly chip Matthews. The best part is going to be how exciting it will be watching these two players compete.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy's impact will go hand in hand w/ Perry's, most likely will be playing on the same side. Worthy won't collect stats as often as Perry, but if you watch w' your football-head instead of your fan-head...I betcha Worthy will bring a presence on the DLINE when he's coupled w/ BJ RAJI, PICKETT, & Co....now after spelling that out...if worthy really is this "first-round-talent", that DLINE is looking SWEET!

I should have read the post directly above mine, basically saying the same thing. :doh

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I think Manning might be our biggest surprise. I voted for Worthy as manning wasn't listed.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These two gentleman will have different criteria for why they would be selected rookie of the year.

Worthy's will be on 1) how well he stops the run and 2) how well he is at flushing the QB out of the pocket

Perry's criteria will simply be how well he gets to the QB. He's not going to be asked to cover the flat very often, which I believe he'll be asked to do more often his 2nd year.

With that said, I think it'll be a close one. Perry's production will be contingent upon Worthy's, but I gotta go with Worthy on this. As others alluded to, he's not asked to change the way he plays as radically as Perry will.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Worthy will have an outstanding rookie season because he will be playing where he played in college. That said, Agent P. will do just fine. (My kids watch way too much Phineas and Ferb!)

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Worthy busting thru the middle..... Matthews sack #'s will go way up as teams now will have to account for the other OLB spot.... I don't see Nick getting tons of sacks.... but Worthy will penetrate like a Warren Sapp in there with focus on the edges, and with BJ Raji being fresher than ever. Hargrove having to be accounted for, and the rookie Daniels a John Randle clone.

I hope Clay gets 14 sacks, Perry gets 7, Worthy gets about 6, causes some fumbles, makes a few highlight plays, stuffs....
Can't wait for this defense.
Please stay healthy fellas.
I'd like to see CM3 get 15+sacks. Jared Allen got 22 last year. Back in 2010 CM3 got robbed of the Defensive Player of the Year award. Polamolu missed like 3-4 games that year. CM3 may not have gotten the DPY award but he got the trophy the counts. So in your face Troy

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With TT's success at signing UFAs that contribute, I'm withholding my vote because I expect another UFA to outshine the draft class

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gonna go with the wildcard Hayward, because if he does as good as TT hopes....Woodson moves to Safety and that my friends would be the biggest impact any rookie could have on defense....albeit not necessarily his play doing it. (I do think Perry is a beast ready to be unleashed though)