Packers release punter Jacob Schum

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knew it. I had Vogel beating out Schum. They still have ample time to bring in another punter.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not so sure Vogel beat him out (just yet), sounds like the Packers released Schum due to a back injury that he has been battling. If he goes unclaimed, they might IR him?

✔@RobDemovsky
Schum was waived injured because of the back, according to his agent @OSMG_LLC. He will revert to IR if not claimed off waivers.

Let's just hope there aren't any Tim Masthay sighting in Green Bay anytime soon. :coffee:

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Not so sure Vogel beat him out (just yet), sounds like the Packers released Schum due to a back injury that he has been battling. If he goes unclaimed, they might IR him?

✔@RobDemovsky
Schum was waived injured because of the back, according to his agent @OSMG_LLC. He will revert to IR if not claimed off waivers.

Let's just hope there aren't any Tim Masthay sighting in Green Bay anytime soon. :coffee:

I hope during his time away Masthay has homed his skills or something if he decides to lurk about Green Bay.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Who was that local kid that Masthay beat out a few camps ago? If he stayed with the kicking schools, he may have improved enough for another shot.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're talking about Mortell - Holder Of The Year

I hope that he gets another shot. I thought that it was a coin flip on who was better last year.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kinda surprised they didn't keep him around through camp. They must really like Vogel like Nate said above, or they want to bring in someone else to compete with Vogel through camp.

H

HardRightEdge

✔@RobDemovsky
After which they would seek an injury settlement.

Reaction score
Who was that local kid that Masthay beat out a few camps ago? If he stayed with the kicking schools, he may have improved enough for another shot.
Exactly what also came to mind. Wasn't his dad like the clock operator or something? He seemed pretty decent

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm a bit surprised the Packers decided to release Schum that early but it seems injury at least played a part in the move. While he didn't put up great numbers by any means he had the lowest percentage of punts returned in the league last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Despite some of the statistics, I think Schum was a big improvement over Masthay. Was he a "great" punter? No, but for the most part he limited returns as well as was pretty accurate with his "inside the 20" punts.

I am excited about Vogel. He isn't a guy with a huge leg, so we won't be seeing 60 yard punts every time, but he is a guy known for his hang time and accuracy, two attributes which I think are more critical to have with a Punter. IMO, you want a punter who can limit return yards (hang time) as well as pin a team inside their own 20 yard line (accuracy) and I hope to see that from Vogel.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Despite some of the statistics, I think Schum was a big improvement over Masthay. Was he a "great" punter? No, but for the most part he limited returns as well as was pretty accurate with his "inside the 20" punts.

I am excited about Vogel. He isn't a guy with a huge leg, so we won't be seeing 60 yard punts every time, but he is a guy known for his hang time and accuracy, two attributes which I think are more critical to have with a Punter. IMO, you want a punter who can limit return yards (hang time) as well as pin a team inside their own 20 yard line (accuracy) and I hope to see that from Vogel.

I'm not convinced that Vogel will be the Packers punter entering the season. I expect another player to compete with him for the job in training camp.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Masthay had a low punt return & yards average too in his final season. Both of these punters show that we've had both very good coverage teams and an offense that moved the ball somewhat down the field to make easier punts. the newspaper guys already talked up our gunners over the past few seasons. Seeing two marginal-at-best punters succeed in the same statistic pretty much seals the deal.

Someone said that Vogel doesn't have a big leg. I have never watched him play but Michael Cohen wrote differently:
Vogel was a second-team All-ACC selection as a senior at Miami last season. He built a reputation for having a big leg, averaging 43.8 yards per punt in 13 games last season. He was a directional kicker for the Hurricanes, and that’s what Zook will ask him to do in Green Bay.
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...packers-release-punter-jacob-schum/362171001/

The Packers will surely bring in camp competition. He will not be handed the job. I expect Mortell to be brought back and likely another.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Masthay had a low punt return & yards average too in his final season.

Opponents returned 50.6% of Masthay's punt in 2015, which is a significantly higher number than Schum's (28.6%) last season. They didn't have success doing so because of the Packers having had an excellent coverage unit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I have no stats to back up this statement, but from what I can recall from Masthay's last few years in GB, he was not very consistent at "flipping the field." Meaning he seemed to get his worse kicks (short and/or returnable) when kicking from the Packer side of the 40 yard line. While getting some of his better kicks (for distance) from the 50 on in, with many of those going into the endzone (netting 20 less yards).

I think Schum was a guy I didn't worry too much about last year, he was consistently...average and performed pretty well down the stretch and in cold weather.

Vogel hasn't won the job yet by any means, but if he can continue what he was accomplishing for the Hurricanes, I like the possibilities.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the knock on Mortell was his hang time.

I didn't have much confidence in Schum early on, but by the end of the season he seemed pretty solid. Sounds like the injury was a big factor in his release.

Members online

Latest posts