Packers release Nate Palmer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm super relieved that there is absolutely no chance Nate Palmer will be running around lost in a Packers jersey next year (unless he's wearing a Packers jersey in a flag football league or something, but that's out of the Packers control)

I will be super relieved at the time Thompson finally will have improved the position. Releasing Palmer doesn't achieve that.

I'm confident a true ILB will be drafted in the first 2 rounds. I'll be surprised if this isn't their line of thinking.

Thompson has ignored the position early in the draft so I wouldn't be shocked if he continues to do so this year. Disappointed yes, but not surprised.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some have said the situation is not dire at ILB with Barrington and Ryan. I would say that the fact that we just released one of the starting ILBs last year (for significant portions of the season, anyway), in April, with no salary significance, is a pretty good illustration of just how dire our ILB situation is.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Some have said the situation is not dire at ILB with Barrington and Ryan. I would say that the fact that we just released one of the starting ILBs last year (for significant portions of the season, anyway), in April, with no salary significance, is a pretty good illustration of just how dire our ILB situation is.
And it looks like he cleared waivers. I haven't heard of a waiver claim for him.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Actually I think that the Packers releasing Palmer may indicate the front office doesn't feel the same way for whatever reason. Thompson addressing the position in free agency would have suggested he agrees with most of us.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I think that the Packers releasing Palmer may indicate the front office doesn't feel the same way for whatever reason. Thompson addressing the position in free agency would have suggested he agrees with most of us.

It could, or it could just mean they think Palmer is that bad.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It could, or it could just mean they think Palmer is that bad.

There's no doubt in my mind Palmer is terrible. The Packers not having anyone better at the position for most of last season so he had to start is even worse though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need to find a complete ilb like four years ago. Ryan is scrappy but he is not the answer there. He is horrible in pass coverage, and definitely not a 3 down ilb.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have one ILB on our roster that would be a 53 man roster spot lock for every NFL team.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we have one ILB on our roster that would be a 53 man roster spot lock for every NFL team.

Unfortunately...which is why you have to take your best pass rusher and stick him on the inside where he is less effective. Imsure we can all agree Clay Matthews on the outside is better than Clay Matthews in the inside. TT and co. haven't been very good at drafting ilbs either. I'd dare someone to debate that fact. As a matter of fact don't. Just look at who played most the Reps inside last year. Two olb's....prior to that? AJ Hawk who also was a converted olb. He also was forced inside due to lack of depth and ability at that spot...and was average to below average for several years.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be super relieved at the time Thompson finally will have improved the position. Releasing Palmer doesn't achieve that.

Thompson has ignored the position early in the draft so I wouldn't be shocked if he continues to do so this year. Disappointed yes, but not surprised.

I realize that releasing Palmer doesn't solve the problem at inside. I'm just happy that his release guarantees that Palmer won't play a single snap as a member of the Packers defense next year. Palmer was so bad that just by taking him off the field the defense improved.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with Barrington, but not Ryan. I think Ryan would make over 75% of the rosters in the league, albeit as a backup and special teamer on most, but definitely not a starter. We don't have anyone to groom him under, so he was thrown into the fire here. We'll see how he does. I'm kind of excited to see if he progresses and turns into a serviceable ILB for us. I think its possible.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

AJ Hawk who also was a converted olb. He also was forced inside due to lack of depth and ability at that spot...and was average to below average for several years.

Hawk was drafted to play outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. There's no way he could have played that position in Capers scheme though.

I realize that releasing Palmer doesn't solve the problem at inside. I'm just happy that his release guarantees that Palmer won't play a single snap as a member of the Packers defense next year. Palmer was so bad that just by taking him off the field the defense improved.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Palmer was terrible. But if the Packers end up having to play Thomas or Bradford, who are currently the only backups on the roster, for an extended period that would be even worse.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A familiar sound is beginning to emanate from the empty seats of Lambeau Field. In year just past, the Green and Gold watched as two of their players, at a position already of need, leave just prior to the draft. In said subsequent draft, Cheeseheads abroad were shocked by the names presented to them from the first two rounds picks. This day, previously mentioned Cheeseheads now know well those two names, and in the estimation of this said Cheesehead, acquitted themselves admirably with hope for even better in the year that lies ahead.

As to the day and the situation at hand, namely the release of one Nate Palmer and the serious need of talent at the ILB position, we find ourselves in familiar territory I see. So what manner of devise do we scheme to turn the tables once again as in the year last? This fellow bovine extract headgear wearing mates, is the drama that makes for superior spectating.

H

HardRightEdge

Cheeseheads abroad were shocked by the names presented to them from the first two rounds picks.
No kidding. Nobody expects the WR, CB, edge rusher or OT that Thompson will draft in the first 2 rounds. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A familiar sound is beginning to emanate from the empty seats of Lambeau Field.

Empty seats? I thought people lived in those? When did this happen? I'm number 588,968 on the season ticket list and didn't get notified! :coffee:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Tennessee Titans picked up Palmer off of waivers. The Packers play the Titans this year. The Packers should just run Jared Cook directly at Palmer on every play.

H

HardRightEdge

The Tennessee Titans picked up Palmer off of waivers. The Packers play the Titans this year. The Packers should just run Jared Cook directly at Palmer on every play.
I'd bet Palmer is not very happy he got picked up by a team playing 3-4. You'd have to think getting a reboot as a strong side 4-3 OLB, or even DE, would have been his preference.

If the curious timing of his release was a result of him asking for it, he'd be doubly unhappy with the outcome.

If the Titans only signed him for "intelligence" regarding how the Packer scheme functions, that would be triply disappointing for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the titans care that much about the Packers scheme? That move wouldnt make much sense imo

H

HardRightEdge

Why would the titans care that much about the Packers scheme? That move wouldnt make much sense imo
Because the Packers play the Titans this season.

It's not uncommon for teams to pluck guys off the practice squad of an opponent to gain intelligence. Common enough that they implemented a rule preventing it for some period prior to the two teams playing each other. I think it's a week but I'm sure the Captain could say.

This move seems a bit early for that, but I'm reaching for a reason why a 3-4 defense would want this guy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Common enough that they implemented a rule preventing it for some period prior to the two teams playing each other. I think it's a week but I'm sure the Captain could say.

It´s either less than five days before the game, or nine days during a bye week.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think its that, honestly. I could see it for a division yeam to want the intel but i just hve a hrd time believing a non conference opponent would pick him up for that. He clearly didnt understand the defense anyway. My guess is he's a camp body, and a decent camp body because he has 3-4 experience.

Members online