Packers release Nate Palmer

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
H

HardRightEdge

Yet another case of the Packers trying to drive square pegs into round holes.
Well, they first tried to pound this square peg into a square hole, and he didn't fit there either.

This move surprises me not in the least, but the timing is curious. I guess they're deep enough into the draft analysis to find they can easily replace a very poor inside linebacker.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Palmer didn't do much but he was only a 6th round pick. He played at the level that you would expect from a 6th rounder. The chance that he would make a big impact is about the same as an UFA.

H

HardRightEdge

Palmer didn't do much but he was only a 6th round pick. He played at the level that you would expect from a 6th rounder. The chance that he would make a big impact is about the same as an UFA.
Palmer was dreadful. He should not have been on the field. If a 6th. rounder is resigned to ST core, fine. But he was put on the field, as a 3-down player no less. I don't blame the player.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Palmer was dreadful. He should not have been on the field. If a 6th. rounder is resigned to ST core, fine. But he was put on the field, as a 3-down player no less. I don't blame the player.

This. And it took how many years to figure it out?

H

HardRightEdge

Or maybe this means they'll take a second shot at putting Bradford at ILB. Just kidding.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This. And it took how many years to figure it out?
All of one. He did a position switch his rookie year, lost his entire second year due to injury after another position switch. Got beat out as an injury replacement by midseason last year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe
Or maybe this means they'll take a second shot at putting Bradford at ILB. Just kidding.

Maybe not so funny. Why is a guy that has been unable to make the game day roster at a position of need headed into his 3rd year here?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of one. He did a position switch his rookie year, lost his entire second year due to injury after another position switch. Got beat out as an injury replacement by midseason last year.

Try three. Drafted, a LB his entire time here.

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe not so funny. Why is a guy that has been unable to make the game day roster at a position of need headed into his 3rd year here?
This is another mystery. They cut Bradford once resulting in $215,000 dead cap, then brought him back.

As it stands the current ILB roster is:

Ryan
Barrington coming off injury
Joe "Dime" Thomas who wasn't very good in that limited role
Bradford perhaps

The Packers don't need an ILB. They need 2 of them, and they can't just be 6th. round picks and UDFAs.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is another mystery. They cut Bradford once resulting in $215,000 dead cap, then brought him back.

Ryan
Bradford perhaps

The Packers don't need an ILB. They need 2 of them, and they can't just be 6th. round picks and UDFAs.
It must make you think TT and staff have come close to finalizing their draft board and this is perhaps a sign of what they see and have made a decision on strategy. I now don't see them going 2 rounds without their first LB. I see at a minimum 2 and quite possibly 3.

Converting a 3-4 DE for OLB...Moving an OLB like Schobert inside? I know they showed interest in Beniquez Brown earlier in the process. Maybe they see something and think they can get him later.

This is going to be one interesting Draft. Heavy on D and potential OL's. TE is looking more and more of a later round pick or even a longshot.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really weird timing on this for me. Granted, not much of a loss but I'm surprised they wouldn't want him as a camp body. This either means they literally see nothing in him, or something happened to provoke them cutting him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
*waits to read that the Vikings picked up Palmer*. I guess TT just showed his hand as to what he will be doing in the draft. I didn't see Palmer or Thomas on the team in 2016, but have to think that the timing of this cut was something more then just Palmer not being that good.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The problem is that Palmer isn't an isolated case. The inside linebacker position has been in dire need of an upgrade for four years running.

Ryan
Bradford perhaps

Any Packers fan taking a look at the depth chart at the position and is feeling comfortable about is being completely delusional. Even if you're fine with Barrington and Ryan starting the team currently is one injury to any of them away from having to play Thomas or Bradford on nearly every down. Thompson has to add a prospect ready to contribute from week 1 on and another one being an upgrade over the current backups.

Converting a 3-4 DE for OLB...Moving an OLB like Schobert inside?

I'm stromgly advocating for finally adding an inside linebacker who has played the position for several years in college. Schobert is an intriguing outside linebacker prospect who has been extremely productive at UW but there are concerns about his lack of size and because of it his ability to beat NFL tackles. I would be fine with drafting him in the middle rounds though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe now is the time to ditch the 3-4 and roll with a permanent nickel package 3-3-5. Tweener safety at the other ILB. :tdown:
Darn it Eli, what was in those brownies you sent me!
Ducks out of the room until the dust clears

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm super relieved that there is absolutely no chance Nate Palmer will be running around lost in a Packers jersey next year (unless he's wearing a Packers jersey in a flag football league or something, but that's out of the Packers control)

H

HardRightEdge

Even if you're fine with Barrington and Ryan starting the team currently is one injury to any of them away from having to play Thomas or Bradford on nearly every down.
As noted previously, I'd be OK with Ryan and Barrington, assuming the latter is 100%. That's a big if...season ending foot injuries are often quite troublesome. I haven't seen specifics on that injury, but if it's a Lisfranc or even a turf toe, that could spell real trouble. And this also assumes Ryan will continue his progression, about which I am optimistic.

But with no guarantees with respect to those two starters, and the current guys behind them needing upgrades, 2 ILBs are needed as you say. If Barrington can't play, make it 3 ILBs.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm super relieved that there is absolutely no chance Nate Palmer will be running around lost in a Packers jersey next year (unless he's wearing a Packers jersey in a flag football league or something, but that's out of the Packers control)
...or falling down in the hole or overrunning it or not managing a deep enough drop....

Reaction score
I think our 1st or 2nd pick will be a LB or someone who we see as gifted enough to play week 1. The other ILB will initially be whoever wins the battle between Barrington and Ryan by the season opener. The other pick will very possibly be a solid DT will fill BJs role

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ryan
Bradford perhaps

I'm confident a true ILB will be drafted in the first 2 rounds. This move only strengthens that belief. I see DL/ILB in the first 2 rounds either position going in either round. Preferably ILB since the DL is do deep this year. I'll be surprised if this isn't their line of thinking.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confident a true ILB will be drafted in the first 2 rounds. This move only strengthens that belief. I see DL/ILB in the first 2 rounds either position going in either round. Preferably ILB since the DL is do deep this year. I'll be surprised if this isn't their line of thinking.

I'm a bit less confident than you are. There are barely even 2 true ILB worth selecting in the 1st two rounds this year.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Especially considering we don't need a thumper... We need the rang-ey athletic, play in space type that can cover.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts