Packers release Kirksey and Wagner

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see maybe why we picked up Kirksey for depth but the plan for him to start from Day 1 was attrocious, and if that is still the plan at any price I'm not for it. Let him go. Wagner should've never been signed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see maybe why we picked up Kirksey for depth but the plan for him to start from Day 1 was attrocious, and if that is still the plan at any price I'm not for it. Let him go. Wagner should've never been signed.

Are you lost? They got released, literally not a Packer any comments or is this comment from 2020.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not surprised by Kirksey's release, but I thought there might be a possibility they would hang on to Wagner.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT depth a need going into next year. Bak could be out several weeks going into next season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two cap casualties but both players had significant injuries last year making their retention for 2021 cloudy to say the least. The Packers can get much or most of their remaining salary cap burden by extending and restructuring Adam's and cutting Josh Jackson and Dean Lowry, both of whom don 't have the production to match their salary cap hit.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fite GUTe!

If you are going to build through FAs, you can't afford to miss on guys.

To be fair we got what we needed out of them both for the first year, neither of these guys were world changers and not a soul thought so. Low risk structured contracts with team friendly outs after first year. Wasnt a miss or a hit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope they return at a lower price.

I highly doubt the Packers are interested in bringing either of them back.

The Packers can get much or most of their remaining salary cap burden by extending and restructuring Adam's and cutting Josh Jackson and Dean Lowry, both of whom don 't have the production to match their salary cap hit.

Those moves would be enough to get under the cap but not allow the Packers to make any moves.

To be fair we got what we needed out of them both for the first year, neither of these guys were world changers and not a soul thought so. Low risk structured contracts with team friendly outs after first year. Wasnt a miss or a hit.

The Packers paid Kirksey more than $6 million for one season in which he had very little production. I would definitely consider the signing a miss.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it means that we will be looking to take care of both positions in the draft. With the OT going first. I have read that OT is pretty strong this year and am hopeful Gute can come up with an inside backer to compliment Barnes or at least for depth. Don't really want to get a vet that is mediocre. That would be just more of Kirksey.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tackle is very strong this draft, especially if you include RTs in the discussion.

LBs are very top heavy when it comes to sure things IMO...but I think Gute and Co are quite confident in Kamal and Barnes and will build additions to them - message of Kirksey leaving confirms this. There is an outside chance that if Kirksey gets no action, GB could bring him back quite cheap and arguably he might be worth that if draft doesn't fall our way in addition.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it means that we will be looking to take care of both positions in the draft. With the OT going first. I have read that OT is pretty strong this year and am hopeful Gute can come up with an inside backer to compliment Barnes or at least for depth. Don't really want to get a vet that is mediocre. That would be just more of Kirksey.
It was probably a conversation during the interview going over each player and what Berry rhinks, needs or wants. Maybe they are targeting Zaven Collins with their first pick.

I will be curious to see what we do at CB. I think that's a bigger need for our team and there are a bunch of interesting one in this draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is going to be a very odd year of Free Agency, one like the NFL has never seen before. Teams will be releasing players that in a normal year, they may have hung on to, but with the reduced cap, they take the cost savings.

The Packers shouldn't blow their load on one specific player. I think due to there being less money available and probably a lot more free agents to pick from, you pull a page out of the Ted Thompson Free Agency playbook this season and wait for the bargains, there will be plenty of them.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it seems the Packers agree with neither of you... and both of you... and released them both lol.

I was just saying I thought Wagner was more valuable than Kirksey this past year.

I wouldn't have brought either back. We need to get under the cap, and they're some of the easier choices when it comes to that. Had we loads of money, I doubt they release Wagner right away.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Wagner was a great signing. They viably replaced Bulaga inexpensively and with a deal that they can now get out of without a lot of damage.

Members online

Latest posts