Packers release Greg van Roten

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

accoding to overthecap his cap number for 2014 was $570k. but the Packers gain about only $150k in salary cap room if JSO is right. What am I missing?

Van Roten didn´t receive a signing bonus when he signed the contract in 2012, so there won´t be any dead money counting against the Packers cap because of his release.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't find anything specific about his foot injury. Maybe that is the deciding factor in his release.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This feels eerily like the QB situation from 2013 in terms of depth at center.

I assume that the Packers had a good reason for releasing GVR, most likely his foot injury not improving. However, the timing of GVR's release strengthens EDS' bargaining position and therefore costs us money. Why not keep GVR until we've re-signed EDS? I'm also curious about our plan. I assume that TJ Lang is the #1 backup at center but this is not ideal. It's a position that has been in flux for a few years now, with 2013 being the only solid season.

I'm a bit nervous but hopeful.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Van Roten didn´t receive a signing bonus when he signed the contract in 2012, so there won´t be any dead money counting against the Packers cap because of his release.

But that's whats confusing to me as well. If his cap # was 570K and there's no dead money, why is the savings only 150K? If someone has a detailed breakdown of how contracts work, I would LOVE to read it. I want very much to understand this back and forth but haven't found a great source yet that breaks it down.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

But that's whats confusing to me as well. If his cap # was 570K and there's no dead money, why is the savings only 150K? If someone has a detailed breakdown of how contracts work, I would LOVE to read it. I want very much to understand this back and forth but haven't found a great source yet that breaks it down.

The Journal Sentinel article just got it wrong. The salary cap number is actually the total of a player´s salary, workout and roster bonuses plus the prorated bonus a player received as a signing bonus.

The prorated bonus is normally spread out over the entire length of a contract (maximum of five years though).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some additional insight from Cheeseheadtv website:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packer...m_campaign=Feed:+CheeseheadTv+(Cheesehead+TV)
“I spoke to them, and they felt like they wanted to get bigger,” agent Bill Baldini is quoted as saying. “They didn’t think he’d be in their plans for the immediate future, so they decided it would be better for him if they let him go now. It’s a shame because he loves the Packers organization and loves the town.”

Van Roten had decent height at 6-3, but is a little on the light side at 303 lbs. The Packers became more of run-oriented offense this past season with the addition of Eddie Lacy, so it could be a case where they’re looking to continue to move in that direction.

It’s doubtful Van Roten’s release has anything to do with Dietrich-Smith’s future in Green Bay one way or the other, although it remains to be seen how much the incumbent starter will make on the open market, or for that matter, how the Packers would replace him if he leaves.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with the linked article: GVR's release has nothing to do with EDS's negotiations. Also my guess is Tretter is the leading candidate to replace EDS if he's not re-signed. I think the bottom line on this release is as simple as they don't think he's good enough.

H

HardRightEdge

accoding to overthecap his cap number for 2014 was $570k. but the Packers gain about only $150k in salary cap room if JSO is right. What am I missing?
During the off season, only the top 51 cap hits count against the cap under the so called "Rule of 51". Dropping Van Roten's $570,000 is offset by elevating a minimum salary $420,000 guy to the top 51. Ergo, $150,000 savings.

H

HardRightEdge

"Wanting to get bigger" at center seems to be an annual thing. McCarthy has expressed this desire going back to when Wells was the starter, to the evident aggravation of that player one might add. And still, who are the guys we've had on the roster in recent years?

Wells - 6'2", 302 lbs.
Saturday - 6'2", 295 lbs.
EDS - 6'2", 308 lbs.
Gerhardt - 6'1", 310 lbs.
Van Roten - 6'3", 303 lbs

Given that list, it's hard to know what to make of this "getting bigger" claim.

There's been little done about it so it's difficult to take it too seriously. On the other hand, if it's a matter of just not finding the right guy in that mold, then EDS certainly is not the kind of guy they'll want to hand a 4 or 5 year contract.

Tretter may be the first bona fide effort to fulfill that promise. He's listed at 6'4", 307 lbs., the biggest in terms of height/weight combination we've had in recent years. A few cheeseburgers might get him to the "big" threshold; NFL centers tipping over 310 lbs. are in the minority.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Van Roten just signed a contract with Seattle. Guess he's good enough for them.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't mean he'll play in a game for them.
That's true, but I find it interesting that the current best team in the NFL apparently sees something that our offensive line coaches (or whomever makes these decisions) don't. It's not as if our o-line is a dominant one in the league, and hasn't been for the last 7 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts