1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers RELEASE A PLAYER!!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by PackerLegend, Mar 19, 2007.

1. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Packers Release Kurt Campbell

03/19/2007

The Green Bay Packers Monday released linebacker Kurt Campbell, a seventh-round selection in the 2005 NFL Draft. Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement.

Damn to bad it wasnt Robert Ferguson or Marquand Manuel

2. millertime

millertime Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    His presence will be missed . . .

3. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, the cap hit ramifications!!!!!!

4. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT obviously doesn't know you have to add players to win. Not cut them.

5. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing too earthshattering here. To me it just looks like TT is getting an early start at the process of releasing past draft picks in order to make room for the 11-12 he'll be bringing in this year.

6. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Every vineyard needs pruning and cultivation to produce a winning wine.

Haste makes waste, slow and steady.

R.P.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    In order to bring in new guys, someone has to go. And if it's someone you don't think can contribute, they are gone. Good business sense to me.

8. Lare

Lare Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Oh I don't disagree with the concept cheesey. I'm just pointing out that five of the 11 guys he drafted the year before last and a couple of the guys he drafted last year are now gone. A couple more before the end of training camp and he should have plenty of room.

9. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

lolololol

10. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Cheesey,

Good point my friend.

There are ONLY 1,800 players in the N.F.L. That indeed means for every signing there must be a cut, because there can only be 1,800. Eighteen Hundred of the best of the best, who don the NFL colors.

This is why I could personally never trash a player, or make a snide comment about any player who made it.

It actually makes me sad when I read someone on any forum who trashes a player who has done his best, been a good citizen and got the most of out his athletic skills and genes.

The bottom line is this.... He gave it his shot. Fell short from an NFL standard, but accomplished more that so very many.

When I read a smart *** post about a cut like "What a loss?" I laugh, because if the guy who posts a comment like that had a even a cousin who was a 7th round draft pick by the Green Bay Packers he would be bragging about his cousin to every chick he was trying to bang in Bob's Bar and Grill every day after work.

Well Done Kurt Campbell, you are one of the best, no one can take that away from you ever.... and I never read about you being pulled over for a D.U.I. or beating you girl.

R.P.

11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,479
    Very good post RP....

Althought Franks Bar and Grill would work better for this story

:thumbsup:

12. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    "Very good post RP....

Althought Franks Bar and Grill would work better for this story."

Do not thank me for a good post longtime... Thank Cheesey!

Cheesey made the point, not I.

13. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer for Campbell. As I recall, Thompson and the coaching staff really liked him, but he had to spend his first two seasons on IR with severe leg injuries. Maybe he'll beat the odds and succeed like Mike Flanagan did after a similar start to his career--but it will have to be with another team.

This is already the 12th response to this post. Obviously we are all desperate for something, ANYTHING, to write about.

14. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's better than having a percentage of around 1/3 of your draft picks out of the NFL.

15. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    With the offseason conditioning program starting this guy is just awaiting another accident to on IR for yet another unproductive year.

Cutting him is cheaper than the IR.

16. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    RP - You, Sir, are a class act.

I consider myself extremely athletic. Whenever we have corporate challenges, I run circles around the competition and usually help my team at least place, whatever the sport (except baseball).

I played some sandlot with a few boys in semi-pro football and got my *ss kicked. Those boys knew if they played a day in the NFL, they'd get their *sses kicked. ANYONE IN THE NFL is a tremendous athlete, and deserves our utmost respect. It's easy to sit back in a chair and belittle professional athletes, but when you actually get out there and work out with them, you get a whole new experience.

17. BlueMoose

BlueMoose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good post, RP.

18. chibiabos

chibiabos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:fftopic: AS the world turns remember:

CODA: To sum up:
    1. The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
    2. Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it.
    3. Religion is the theory that the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him the ride.
    Printed in the; Smart Set Dec. 1920
    by H.L. Mencken

19. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    This is a GREAT point! My counter point would be........how many times have we seen GM's KEEP players they drafted, just because their "egos" won't allow them to admit they made a mistake in drafting a guy? I'd MUCH rather have a GM that will cut his losses, making room for the next draftees coming in, then to hold onto people that in the end only cost the team, and don't help it. Now they have roster spots, and more money for the new guys. Now, if TT had to cut ALL his picks because they didn't make the team, then i would say he wasted the draft. But like i have stated before, NO GM hits on all picks. If 50% make the team, it's pretty good in my opinion.

20. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with others here RP......CLASS ACT!
    You took my point and elaborated on it quite elloquently!
    GREAT post!