Packers Release 20, Place Three On I.R., Trade For Grant

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers released 20 players, placed three on injured reserve and traded for another player Saturday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, defensive end Larry Birdine, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver David Clowney, cornerback Patrick Dendy, wide receiver Chris Francies, linebacker Tim Goodwell, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, linebacker Rory Johnson, guard Travis Leffew, safety Marquand Manuel, fullback Brandon Miree, safety Alvin Nnabufie, kicker Dave Rayner, wide receiver Calvin Russell, guard Adam Stenavich, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Safety Tyrone Culver, linebacker Abdul Hodge and guard Tyson Walter were placed on injured reserve.

The Packers acquired running back Ryan Grant from the New York Giants for an undisclosed future draft pick. Grant, a graduate of Notre Dame, spent the 2005 season on the Giants' practice squad and the 2006 season on injured reserve.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
QB

• Paul Thompson

RB

• Corey White

FB

• Brandon Miree

WR
  • Shaun Bodiford
    David Clowney
    Chris Francies
    Calvin Russell

TE

• Clark Harris
    Zac Alcorn

Guard

• Adam Stenavich
    Travis Leffew

Tackle

• Orrin Thompson

DE

• Larry Birdine

LB

• Tim Goodwell
    Spencer Havner
    Rory Johnson

DB

• Patrick Dendy

Safety

• Marquand Manuel
    Alvin Nnabufie

K

• Dave Rayner

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow there sure are a few suprises on that list.

But it is good to see they are dumping Thomson and going with 2 QB's and freeing up a roster space. Not to meantion dumping Manuel It's about time he's gone.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Wow there sure are a few suprises on that list.

But it is good to see they are dumping Thomson and going with 2 QB's and freeing up a roster space. Not to meantion dumping Manuel It's about time he's gone.

I was half surprised but all thrilled to see his name.

Thompson isn't afraid to admit his mistakes. Atleast that's what I'm getting from these type of moves.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deshawn Wynn makes the final roster?

5 halfbacks now including Grant as well as Morency, Herron, and Jackson.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Corey White better than Wynn.

Oh well, I trust TT\MM.

I think the big news here is Patrick Dendy was cut!

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol

I must say I'm surprised Miree is gone. Does this mean we could start TWO rookies in the backfield? Jackson AND Hall? Hall being a former LB'er right?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm correct, we are "light" at QB with 2, tight end with 2 and linebacker with 5.
The roster includes 6 CBs and 11 defensive linemen.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol

I must say I'm surprised Miree is gone. Does this mean we could start TWO rookies in the backfield? Jackson AND Hall? Hall being a former LB'er right?

Maybe TT\MM have their eye on a newly waived player, and will bring him in to share the FB duties with Hall.

I don't think this ends with Ryan Grant.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm correct, we are "light" at QB with 2, tight end with 2 and linebacker with 5.

Makes sense to keep a lot more defensive players. That's probably because we are pretty well set, talent and depth wise, at all the offensive positions.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:

Makes sense to keep a lot more defensive players. That's probably because we are pretty well set, talent and depth wise, at all the offensive positions.

Are you saying we need 3 QBs?

Why do you have to come in here and **** in our cheerios?

But to answer your question Pack93z, my guess is that yes, we'll be active. As long as it doesn't cost us any draft picks.

Is that right, Lare?

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Wynn will become the second fullback.
I be surprised if they don't sign another TE and possibly put Williams on the pratice squad. I mean even the emergency TE Moll has injury problems.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Birdine, Clowney, Harris, Havner, Thompson, Stenavich/Thompson on practice squad?

They will pickup players from other teams and put them on practice squad too so I would expect some new faces on the practice squad as well as some old ones.

I can't believe they kept DeShawn Wynn. In my opinion he's gone IF Koren is allowed back and once Morency gets healthy.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:

Normally I'd get pissed off at that kind of statement.

But that was really really REALLY funny!!

I LOL'd. :lol:

Reaction score
I think Wynn will become the second fullback.

I think that too.

Makes sense since the FB reads are really similar to HB reads in the ZB scheme.

But I wonder how the newly acquired RB Grant fits in to all of this... that's 6 HBs in total currently on our roster.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers released 20 players, placed three on injured reserve and traded for another player Saturday. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, defensive end Larry Birdine, wide receiver Shaun Bodiford, wide receiver David Clowney, cornerback Patrick Dendy, wide receiver Chris Francies, linebacker Tim Goodwell, tight end Clark Harris, linebacker Spencer Havner, linebacker Rory Johnson, guard Travis Leffew, safety Marquand Manuel, fullback Brandon Miree, safety Alvin Nnabufie, kicker Dave Rayner, wide receiver Calvin Russell, guard Adam Stenavich, tackle Orrin Thompson, quarterback Paul Thompson and running back Corey White.

Safety Tyrone Culver, linebacker Abdul Hodge and guard Tyson Walter were placed on injured reserve.

The Packers acquired running back Ryan Grant from the New York Giants for an undisclosed future draft pick. Grant, a graduate of Notre Dame, spent the 2005 season on the Giants' practice squad and the 2006 season on injured reserve.

I'm glad we're going with 2 QBs. That's all we need. Will free up another position.

Now, we don't have a burner WR. My guess is our peeps know that Koren will be coming back, which is a good thing.

My only question though is we have only 2 TEs, right? Can we make due with only 2? Maybe we'll pick one up.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's keep in mind that there will be more personnel moves in the next few days. The cuts mostly make sense to me. I would rather have two fullbacks, though. Maybe Wynn will fill that role, but I don't know that he's played at fullback at all yet in practice.

Mostly I'm glad Manuel is gone, and I'm glad Peprah made the cut (at least so far). It was time for Dendy to go. He was getting beaten constantly in practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts