Packers reach deal with Finley

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was just thinking the same thing. It's still a risk tagging Flynn but if it pays off, it FRIGGIN pays off.

If we get a top 10 pick for Flynn we have our choice of pretty much any defensive player on the board.

Keep dreaming. Flynn is gone. Period. He has left the building. Time to accept that fact and move on. There absolutely will not be any tagging of Matt Flynn. You can take that to the bank.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could very well stay put. Lots of potential FA centers. Might make it a soft market for him. Being small is going to hurt his stock. GMs like measurables.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
He's under contract with the team until March 13th, THEN he becomes a FA. They can talk to whoever they want about trading him without it being against the rules.
No they can't. The NFL put in rules to prevent that from happing. Between the end of the regular season or the end of the trade date, and the start of FA they put in rules that players cannot be traded and that talks of trades cannot be discussed. Otherwise people would be trading pending FA's to teams before the FA period begins.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Wells is a Pro bowl center. He is the Captain and anchor of the O line. He's not big but he plays like he is.We lose him and we have a big hole at one of the most important positions on the line. I hope we keep him or we better get someone in FA to replace him. We need to start getting some stability on that O line if we are going to keep the scoring machine soaring and keep the franchise upright and healthy, not to mention have a credible run game.

JTheGreat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is every1 was complaining on here about how finley was all about the $$. 10 of his 15 million was structured so that he wouldnt make the 10 mill until his 2nd year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep dreaming. Flynn is gone. Period. He has left the building. Time to accept that fact and move on. There absolutely will not be any tagging of Matt Flynn. You can take that to the bank.
Why? Out of curiousity, why would TT just walk away from a free high (high 2nd at the worst) draft pick?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better if we Franchise Wells instead of Flynn? I mean yes, we can tag Flynn and get a trade ... but look at it this way, we could franchise Wells like that he would actually be beneficial for the team, he would even be older by a year so it might even help with negotiations. It would even give us that 1 year laps that we could draft / produce a center even he wouldn't want to return the year after.

Assuming we do Franchise Flynn ... what are we looking @ getting back ... moving up the draft? If it's moving up the draft about 10-15 spots then I'm all for it ...

Would this trade be possible? ... Flynn and our 2nd round for the Seattle pick?

$8M is a lot of paper for a center

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Why? Out of curiousity, why would TT just walk away from a free high (high 2nd at the worst) draft pick?
It's not cricket. That's not what the Franchise tag is for and I doubt TT is going to break the spirit of the rule or deny Flynn his chance to play the market. It doesn't fit his style.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not cricket. That's not what the Franchise tag is for and I doubt TT is going to break the spirit of the rule or deny Flynn his chance to play the market. It doesn't fit his style.

That's ridiculous. Do you think TT would hinder the Packers to not break "the spririt of the rule". What you said makes absolutley no business sense.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can do it. But Flynn has to cooperate.
The best situation for him is Miami and that is probably the easiest trade to pull off as well. Flynn would play ball if all signs pointed to miami. It would mean that teams wouldn't be able to get into a bidding war but being in the right situation is probably more valuable than a few extra dollars to play for say the Redskins.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
If they tag him then aren't they allowed to talk with all teams and him regarding a trade?
Only once he signs. If the non-exclusive rights tag is used. The player who does not sign the tag right away has the right to check out other teams. The team does not. IF he signs the tag, the team has the right to trade him, he has no real say in who they trade him to. His only leverage would be his willingness to redo the $14 million for one year with his new team. And there is nothing that requires him to do so. Matt Cassel didn't redo his contract until 3-4 months after being traded to the Chiefs. Cory Williams as far as I can tell is the only player to ever be franchised and then traded right after the FA period began. Like 2 minutes into FA.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is a lot of misinformation/misunderstanding about just how a "tag and trade" scenario would work. I know I don't toally understand what can be don by whom and when...there seems to be ots of variables.

The big factor here is Flynn and his agent...if they are willing to work with the Packers here there's no reason at all why this doesn't happen. There would be low risk, there will be teams willing to trade for him, it's just a matter of how much Thompson can get. I would think at least a 2nd rounder...maybe more depending on how many teams are interested and how bad they want him.

The question that no one knows the answer to is...will Matt Flynn play ball?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Who said they were willing to give up a high 2nd round pick for him? I haven't seen anything from Miami, Seattle, Cleveland, Washington or anywhere else indicating they would be willing to trade a high draft pick for him. Don't tell me about Matt Cassel. He had 15 starts under his belt before NE traded him. Flynn has TWO.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The question that no one knows the answer to is...will Matt Flynn play ball?

Why would he? Or for that matter, why should he? Why would he just give away a large portion of his own market value to the Packers in the form of a draft pick? The only way a team will give up a pick for him is if they think they can pay him less by trading for him. If I'm Flynn, I sure as hell wouldn't "play ball" when I have nothing to gain from it.

It's just a game that has too many variables and is too much of a gamble for all involved for it to ever happen. I would absolutely bet my bottom dollar that there will be no sign and trade because it simply isn't in the cards in this situation.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said they were willing to give up a high 2nd round pick for him? I haven't seen anything from Miami, Seattle, Cleveland, Washington or anywhere else indicating they would be willing to trade a high draft pick for him. Don't tell me about Matt Cassel. He had 15 starts under his belt before NE traded him. Flynn has TWO.
What does number of games have to do with it? 2 teams are going to draft Luck and RG3 who have zero NFL starts between them.

Seattle gave up 3rd and 4th (basically) for Whitehurst who had zero starts.

Wolf gave up a mid 1st for a sophmore QB with zero starts.

Why would he? Or for that matter, why should he? Why would he just give away a large portion of his own market value to the Packers in the form of a draft pick? The only way a team will give up a pick for him is if they think they can pay him less by trading for him. If I'm Flynn, I sure as hell wouldn't "play ball" when I have nothing to gain from it.

It's just a game that has too many variables and is too much of a gamble for all involved for it to ever happen. I would absolutely bet my bottom dollar that there will be no sign and trade because it simply isn't in the cards in this situation.
I don't think there is any relation to how high a pick is traded with how much do we have to pay him.

Of course Flynn will play ball. Not that he needs to. But if a team is going to pay him $15m guaranteed; get a big chunk of that now; and have the opportunity to start - why wouldn't he sign? As opposed to waiting till mid September for a $830k check. And I didn't even get into the being grateful for the Packers for developing him and giving him the opportunity to showcase his talents in that final game.

And please explain where there is even an iota of risk involved? They can always cut him. You think there isn't a team that will give up a minimum of a 2nd for him? Even a third (which is better than compensatory pick)? Thats absolutely crazy. I expect us to get at worst the Seattle's 2nd round pick.

Members online

Latest posts