Packers re-sign WR Martin to one-year deal for $445,000

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN
MILWAUKEE -- Wide receiver Ruvell Martin signed a one-year, $445,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers as an exclusive rights free agent, his agent said Tuesday.

The signing was first reported by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on its Web site. The Packers do not announce routine transactions, and Martin was expected to return anyway, as he was not eligible to negotiate with another team.

Martin, who will become a restricted free agent after the 2008 season, played in 15 games and made 16 catches for 242 yards and four touchdowns among a group of receivers that included Pro Bowler Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Koren Robinson.

Martin is the biggest of the Packers' wide receivers at 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds and caught two touchdown passes against Minnesota on Nov. 11.

After being a four-year starter at Division II Saginaw Valley State, Martin was signed as an undrafted free agent by San Diego, but failed to catch on there despite two training camps and a stint in NFL Europa.

The Packers signed him to their practice squad for seven weeks in 2005, and Martin won a spot on the 53-man roster in Green Bay in 2006. That season, he caught 21 passes for 358 yards and a touchdown.

Nice to have him back. He's a hard worker. Wouldn't mind seeing him dangled on draft day for a mid round pick? I think K-Rob is clearly a better player.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to have him back. He's a hard worker. Wouldn't mind seeing him dangled on draft day for a mid round pick? I think K-Rob is clearly a better player.

I doubt the Packers would get a draft pick for him. That and I'd rather have him stay.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have the depth.

We have 6 WRs including Bodiford. We lost Holiday. I'd like to go into '08 with 6 WRs.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly he's the tallest WR we got and he's also pretty physical. Not a bad guy to have on the depth chart.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver, Jennings, Jones, Robinson, Martin we dont need no one else. Best 5 WR set in the entire NFL.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Year 3 seems to be the test for most wr's playing in the WC offense(G. Jennings being the exception).
I think Ruvall has the size and speed, and now the experience to turn some heads this year. He will be a nice option to go to when needed.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i am glad that we resigned martin also i think hes a pretty good receiver and he does work very hard. its hard for him to get playing time with the rest of our receivers playing as well as they have but this is great depth and you just never know

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy would be a riot in the locker room... Definitely worth the keep.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ruvell is a legend and epitomises the likeability and charisma the young Packers like GJ, Jarrett Bush, AJ, NB and co. have. Hope to see him stay around for a few years.

OP
OP
M

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ruvell is a legend and epitomises the likeability and charisma the young Packers like GJ, Jarrett Bush, AJ, NB and co. have. Hope to see him stay around for a few years.

Jarrett Bush???

I prefer Tramon Williams.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you see this........first day of training camp, in the Packer locker room.
Aaron Rodgers comes in, and Martin cuts loose with (in Brett Favre's voice) "Hey Rodgers, your back on the bench, i'm unretired!" :lol:

Members online

Latest posts