Packers re-sign TE Tory Humphrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
FLA your having a bad morning aren't you.

TT has a budget and he will spend it, just has he has every year prior, as Sherman did before that, etc. If he didn't spend it at years end then yes, you can complain about his not spending. Last year at this tinme he didn't spend either. He will. Remember, a lot of good players will get realeased by June 1 for bonus reasons.

When you are sick, do yo allow a doctor to make sure he diagnoses you properly, even if that takes time. Or do you demand he give you a shot, any ole shot, just as long as he looks like he is working?

Haste makes waste....usually.

Im having a good morning actually. Its just hard to sit back and smile when good teams are getting better and we are just sitting on our hands smiling as good player after good player go by. While our general manager is visiting draft picks we have no intention of getting. While Bubba Franks is still #1 on the depth chart.

Maybe that is fun for you and you like to think long term progress like 5 years from now we will be good. But honestly, that is not true either.

todays NFL is a now league. Win now, not later. Look what happened with our offensive linemen who left and Javon Walker who left.

Are we going to develop our young players just to have them walk on us again? Because it wasnt fun the first time it happened.

I disagree with it being a win now league. The strategy that GB is employing is much like that of the better teams. While you might not win the SB every year you are in the playoffs with a chacne to win it most years. GB was like that for most of the last 15 years. Denver is like that. NE, Seattle too. Free agency is a great hole filler when you have most of your core good players. then you go out and get the one or two that can put you over the edge. Would you have been happy if we resigned Ahman and used up almost half our cap?

It is possible that what TT saw in our current players improvement from the 1st game to the last left him with the feeling that he likes most of what we have. No one on the Packers said we need to replace Miree. Yet here, everyone is clamoring to have smith here and pay him starter money. TT has pulled the trigger before to sign big contracts for the right players.

I also think he has tried to get it done this year. But overpaying does not do the team good. Wash. is a perfect example.

I have faith in Bob Harlan. He is who brought us back to respectability. He hired TT so I have put my faith in TT as Harlan has.

If you really feel that TT is so bad, call Bob Harlan. Go ahead. He will answer your call, talk to you. But maybe, just maybe, you would realize it might not be such a good idea becasue now you are talking to a recognized authority.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes FLA.........but have you really seen an impact player of White's stature available? I sure haven't.
So...........should TT just HURRY UP and spend the money on guys that really arn't that great, just so he LOOKS good?
Or should he really make sure that it's money well spent?
I have seen people at store sales run up and grab stuff that was on sale, JUST because it was there. They were pushed because of everyone else also running to get it quick, before someone else gets it! (The old "feeding frenzy!") It reminds me of the bidding wars i see NFL GM's do every year. They all run, with their money in their hands to get some guy quick, before someone else gets him!!!
And just like the people in the store, later they end up scratching their heads and saying "Man, did i waste he money on THAT junk!"

Cheesey,
Were you one of them fighting over the Cabbage Patch Dolls? Or was it the "Tickle Me" Elmo?

Or we'll just say it was the new Playstations, right?

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free agency is a great hole filler when you have most of your core good players. then you go out and get the one or two that can put you over the edge. Would you have been happy if we resigned Ahman and used up almost half our cap?

We have most of our core good players and i was very happy we let Ahman Green go, his time was done here. I think a Jamal Lewis would be nice for 2 years at the bargain price Cleveland got him for otherwise, i dont think you pay big money to a running back unless he is a Ladanian Tomlinson type back.

It is possible that what TT saw in our current players improvement from the 1st game to the last left him with the feeling that he likes most of what we have. No one on the Packers said we need to replace Miree. Yet here, everyone is clamoring to have smith here and pay him starter money.

I liked what i saw out of Miree. I think once he got injured our running game went into the crapper and i dont think it would be a good idea to pay big money to a free agent fullback. And, depth will be easily had so im not worried here.

TT has pulled the trigger before to sign big contracts for the right players.

I also think he has tried to get it done this year. But overpaying does not do the team good. Wash. is a perfect example.

True, Washington is a big joke but we are not Washington. Picking up Randy Moss does not make us Washington.

Yes, TT went out and got Woodson & Pickett last year and i was very happy we got those guys. That being said, in my opinion, this team is close to being competitive with anyone in the league. I believe Moss & tight end & safety & a couple of draft picks that can contribute something(maybe on special teams or an offensive lineman) would turn this team from mediocre to a superbowl contendor.

Maybe im just putting up a big fuss because im hoping our message as fans will somehow get to Packer management and they will do something. I guess im just stupid to think that but football is the only sport i watch, and the Packers are the only team i like. And i cant stand losing to the jets & bills. I mean, we could have conceivably won 3 or 4 more games if not for breakdowns during the game.

We were dominating the Eagles in the first half last year, we dominated the Saints & bills and we just broke down and lost games that were money in the bag. I dont look at this team as an 8 - 8 team, i look at it as a team that should have had 10 - 11 wins and we are a couple of key acquisitons from being a dominant force in the NFC.

Excuse me for my optimism

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with it being a win now league. The strategy that GB is employing is much like that of the better teams. While you might not win the SB every year you are in the playoffs with a chacne to win it most years.

We had a guy here that did that by the name of Mike Sherman. That wasn't god enough for people, however 4-12 and 8-8 is. It's odd.

It is possible that what TT saw in our current players improvement from the 1st game to the last left him with the feeling that he likes most of what we have. No one on the Packers said we need to replace Miree. Yet here, everyone is clamoring to have smith here and pay him starter money. TT has pulled the trigger before to sign big contracts for the right players.

Yes, except we have lost our RB and have a very average FB. I also find it hard to believe that he saw the Safety and TE play and said "We don't need help there".

think he has tried to get it done this year. But overpaying does not do the team good. Wash. is a perfect example.

How come we bring up Washington only? What about the Saints who brought in Drew Brees? For every example there is another that favors the other side.

I have faith in Bob Harlan. He is who brought us back to respectability. He hired TT so I have put my faith in TT as Harlan has.

If you really feel that TT is so bad, call Bob Harlan. Go ahead. He will answer your call, talk to you. But maybe, just maybe, you would realize it might not be such a good idea becasue now you are talking to a recognized authority.

Detroit has also put faith in Matt Millen. Harlan is giving him a chance. It does not make TT great on the fact alone. In the end you got to win games, period

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
I disagree with it being a win now league. The strategy that GB is employing is much like that of the better teams. While you might not win the SB every year you are in the playoffs with a chacne to win it most years.

We had a guy here that did that by the name of Mike Sherman. That wasn't god enough for people, however 4-12 and 8-8 is. It's odd.

Yes, except we have lost our RB and have a very average FB. I also find it hard to believe that he saw the Safety and TE play and said "We don't need help there".

think he has tried to get it done this year. But overpaying does not do the team good. Wash. is a perfect example.

How come we bring up Washington only? What about the Saints who brought in Drew Brees? For every example there is another that favors the other side.

Detroit has also put faith in Matt Millen. Harlan is giving him a chance. It does not make TT great on the fact alone. In the end you got to win games, period

the Saints didn't bring in tons of expensive FA's like you want the Packers to do, therefore they aren't an example of what you would like to see. The Packers also brought in a few key veterans, Pickett and Woodson.

However Washington signed a lot of expensive veterans, just like you want the Packers to do, so they are a good example, so please, don't use the Saints as an example, it's just plain wrong.

Also, Mike Sherman took over a talented team and slowly killed the team untill we were 4 - 12. They imploded from within, if you think he did a good job as a GM, well then I don't know what to say about you.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
trippster said:

the Saints didn't bring in tons of expensive FA's like you want the Packers to do, therefore they aren't an example of what you would like to see. The Packers also brought in a few key veterans, Pickett and Woodson.

However Washington signed a lot of expensive veterans, just like you want the Packers to do, so they are a good example, so please, don't use the Saints as an example, it's just plain wrong.

Also, Mike Sherman took over a talented team and slowly killed the team untill we were 4 - 12. They imploded from within, if you think he did a good job as a GM, well then I don't know what to say about you.

Please go find where I said I wanted alot of expensive veterans. Don't put words in my mouth buddy because you need them to fit your argument.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which quality key veteran player did we need in this year's FA?

Did we need to sign a CB to an 80 million contract?

Why in the world do you want to sign mediocre players to big contracts? We already have mediocre players at the positions we need, we don't need more.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:
pyledriver80 said:
trippster said:

Please go find where I said I wanted alot of expensive veterans. Don't put words in my mouth buddy because you need them to fit your argument.

I will try again

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
which quality key veteran player did we need in this year's FA?

Did we need to sign a CB to an 80 million contract?

Why in the world do you want to sign mediocre players to big contracts? We already have mediocre players at the positions we need, we don't need more.

Man, you are like my girlfriend.

You dont know what you are talking about.

You do not use reason and facts to support your arguments.

you twist other peoples words to suit your arguments.

Just stop talking, you dont know what you are talking about

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I use reason and facts to support my arguments,

you don't even have arguments, so you come up with this, this is getting ridiculous.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Redskins brought in Mark Brunell to their team. Any idiot could have seen that his time was past 8 years ago and he was washed up. That does not mean we are looking at Brunell. We want Moss for 3 - 4 years until he fully erodes then we can cut him and spend the money elsewhere. Or we can sit on a big pile of money and show it to all our friends.

The Saints have brought in plenty of expensive players over the years and have 2 running backs on the roster with huge contracts. Get your facts straight. You also forgot to mention, the Saints have sucked with no shot at a superbowl almost every year for the last 16 years except for last season. So even if your argument was correct, they are a bad example for what you are trying to prove.

Do you even know what your point is???

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randy Moss isn't a free agent.

The Saints didn't bring in a lot of expensive mediocre players last season, they signed one key FA, Drew Brees and he's a quality player.

There's a difference between signing quality players to expensive contracts and signing mediocre players to expensive contracts.

Expensive doesn't mean good.

This FA hasn't been loaded with quality players and a lot of mediocre players have been signed to outrageous contracts, mediocre o-linemen signed to top contracts.

Why do you want to sign mediocre players to expensive contracts?

Since when did expensive = good?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then there is no problem, because how big difference do you think it would make if we did sign Griffith? How much difference do you think it would make if we signed Roderick Hood to nickelback instead of Frank Walker?

Do you think signings like these make or break the season for a franchise? I can't see any quality FA's available at positions the Packers badly needed, when there are only mediocre players available and these are being overpayed I would rather keep the Packers own mediocre players that are contracted to fair contracts.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griffith seems to be one of the main FA's we "lost" in your opinion. Well, not signing a FB doesn't seem like a big loss to me.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well then there is no problem, because how big difference do you think it would make if we did sign Griffith? How much difference do you think it would make if we signed Roderick Hood to nickelback instead of Frank Walker?

Do you think signings like these make or break the season for a franchise? I can't see any quality FA's available at positions the Packers badly needed, when there are only mediocre players available and these are being overpayed I would rather keep the Packers own mediocre players that are contracted to fair contracts.

So we can't sign Big Name guys because they are expensive?
And then we can't sign other guys because they are not Big Names?

Griffith is not mediocre by any means man and he was paid a very affordable amount. As were Grant, Hamlin, Etc

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if you learned to read sometime it says in my post that we can sign quality players to expensive contracts, however this year there were mediocre players at the positions we needed that were signed to expensive contracts.

And Griffith is not a big loss, lol, we're talking about a FB here, get real.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we can't sign Big Name guys because they are expensive?
And then we can't sign other guys because they are not Big Names?

Wow, could it possibly have be said any better than that??? I think not. .................................HI FIVE

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We have most of our core good players and i was very happy we let Ahman Green go, his time was done here. I think a Jamal Lewis would be nice for 2 years at the bargain price Cleveland got him for otherwise, i dont think you pay big money to a running back unless he is a Ladanian Tomlinson type back.

I dnt think Lewis could have fit here...He reminds me more of Davenport

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:

I dnt think Lewis could have fit here...He reminds me more of Davenport

Something about Jamal Lewis when i watch him run. It just excites me how he has those quick feet. When he has holes opened up for him, i really enjoy watching him play. His feet move like a ballerina dancer in the hole then he runs over you like a mack truck when he has a full head of steam.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yet he has barely been able to rush for 1000 yards since he was overloaded with that 2000 yard nearly 400 carry season. He has absorbed too many hits and had too many carries, he's not a very good back anymore.

washed out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yet he has barely been able to rush for 1000 yards since he was overloaded with that 2000 yard nearly 400 carry season. He has absorbed too many hits and had too many carries, he's not a very good back anymore.

washed out.

I wouldnt say washed out, more that I dont think he would fit what the Packers are looking for

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

washed out.

Man, you are like my girlfriend.

You dont know what you are talking about.

You do not use reason and facts to support your arguments.

you twist other peoples words to suit your arguments.

Just stop talking, you dont know what you are talking about

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just look at his numbers, he isn't the back he once was.

2000 Baltimore Ravens 16 13 309 1364 4.4 45 6 8 62
2001 Baltimore Ravens 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0
2002 Baltimore Ravens 16 15 308 1327 4.3 75 6 10 63
2003 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 387 2066 5.3 82 14 16 83
2004 Baltimore Ravens 12 12 235 1006 4.3 75 7 5 47
2005 Baltimore Ravens 15 15 269 906 3.4 25 3 3 48
2006 Baltimore Ravens 16 16 314 1132 3.6 52 9 3 46

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts