Packers re-sign TE Tory Humphrey

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers re-signed exclusive rights free agent TE Tory Humphrey.

A former NFL Europe player, Humphrey is a favorite of the scouts in Green Bay. He'll compete for more playing time next season.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Humphrey doesn't get more PT this year, he's a complete washout. Hell, he has NO real competition. I've never seen a team with more deadwood at TE.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without signing anyone as free agents, the Packers needs in the draft are compounded. We need a running back first, another wide receiver, tight end, corner back, depth on the offensive line, and probably a safety too. If they can get something out of Humphrey that would be good, but I ask, how often does a street guy like Humphrey makes it big in the NFL?

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went on the Packers website and looked how the team was built and I found this very interesting. Look at how many street free agents really play a prominent role.

1992 QB Brett Favre (Atl)

1997 LS Rob Davis
1999 WR Donald Driver D7b

2000 TE Bubba Franks D1
T Chad Clifton D2
T Mark Tauscher D7a
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (D5a-00)
2001 WR Robert Ferguson D2

2002 DE Aaron Kampman D5a
T Kevin Barry
2003 LB Nick Barnett D1
CB Al Harris (Phil)

2004 DT Corey Williams D6
DT Colin Cole
DE/DT Cullen Jenkins
C Scott Wells (D7-04)
2005 QB Aaron Rodgers D1
S Nick Collins D2a
S Marviel Underwood D4a
LB Brady Poppinga D4b
G/T Junius Coston D5a
DE Michael Montgomery D6a
CB Patrick Dendy
RB Noah Herron
TE Tory Humphrey
TE Donald Lee
2006 LB A.J. Hawk D1
G/T Daryn Colledge D2a
WR Greg Jennings D2b
LB Abdul Hodge D3a
G/C Jason Spitz D3b
CB Will Blackmon D4b
QB Ingle Martin D5a
T/G Tony Moll D5b
DT Johnny Jolly D6a
S Tyrone Culver D6b
WR Carlton Brewster (Cle)
RB Vernand Morency (HOU)
TE Zac Alcorn
DT Kenderick Allen
RB Arliss Beach
S Atari Bigby
QB Todd Bouman
T Josh Bourke
WR Chris Francies
LB Spencer Havner
DE Jason Hunter
G/T Travis Leffew
WR Ruvell Martin
FB Brandon Miree
S Alvin Nnabuife
RB P.J. Pope
WR Calvin Russell
P Jon Ryan
G Adam Stenavich
T Orrin Thompson
T/G Tyson Walter
LB Tracy White
CB Tramon Williams
LB Ben Taylor UFA (Cle.)
CB Charles Woodson UFA (Oak.)
S Marquand Manuel UFA (Sea)
DT Ryan Pickett UFA (StL)
2007 LB Tim Goodwell
P David Lonie
CB Antonio Malone
LB Marcus Randall
DT Devarick Scandrett
CB Frank Walker

Waivers (6): WR Carlyle Holiday (Ari), 2006; CB Jarrett Bush (Car), 2006; WR Shaun Bodiford (Det), 2006; K Dave Rayner (Ind.), 2006; S Charlie Peprah (NYG), 2006; G/C Tony Palmer (StL), 2006

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still have Bubba Franks, he's a decent TE and maybe he can start catching again too.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me it's worth taking the chance, as it doesn't cost much to see if the guy can make it. If he can't he can be cut loose at little cost.
And like Retired said, he really has no competition. I'd LOVE to see Bubba revert to OLD form, and start being a player again. But we sure can't depend on that happening.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba has the skills, it's all in his head, the Packers should make him work on the mental aspect of catching.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba has the skills, it's all in his head, the Packers should make him work on the mental aspect of catching.

What are your thoughts on Olsen?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so, and i hope they can straighten him out. Favre could sure use that red zone ability that he showed in the past.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went on the Packers website and looked how the team was built and I found this very interesting. Look at how many street free agents really play a prominent role.

1992 QB Brett Favre (Atl)

1997 LS Rob Davis
1999 WR Donald Driver D7b

2000 TE Bubba Franks D1
T Chad Clifton D2
T Mark Tauscher D7a
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (D5a-00)
2001 WR Robert Ferguson D2

2002 DE Aaron Kampman D5a
T Kevin Barry
2003 LB Nick Barnett D1
CB Al Harris (Phil)

2004 DT Corey Williams D6
DT Colin Cole
DE/DT Cullen Jenkins
C Scott Wells (D7-04)
2005 QB Aaron Rodgers D1
S Nick Collins D2a
S Marviel Underwood D4a
LB Brady Poppinga D4b
G/T Junius Coston D5a
DE Michael Montgomery D6a
CB Patrick Dendy
RB Noah Herron
TE Tory Humphrey
TE Donald Lee
2006 LB A.J. Hawk D1
G/T Daryn Colledge D2a
WR Greg Jennings D2b
LB Abdul Hodge D3a
G/C Jason Spitz D3b
CB Will Blackmon D4b
QB Ingle Martin D5a
T/G Tony Moll D5b
DT Johnny Jolly D6a
S Tyrone Culver D6b
WR Carlton Brewster (Cle)
RB Vernand Morency (HOU)
TE Zac Alcorn
DT Kenderick Allen
RB Arliss Beach
S Atari Bigby
QB Todd Bouman
T Josh Bourke
WR Chris Francies
LB Spencer Havner
DE Jason Hunter
G/T Travis Leffew
WR Ruvell Martin
FB Brandon Miree
S Alvin Nnabuife
RB P.J. Pope
WR Calvin Russell
P Jon Ryan
G Adam Stenavich
T Orrin Thompson
T/G Tyson Walter
LB Tracy White
CB Tramon Williams
LB Ben Taylor UFA (Cle.)
CB Charles Woodson UFA (Oak.)
S Marquand Manuel UFA (Sea)
DT Ryan Pickett UFA (StL)
2007 LB Tim Goodwell
P David Lonie
CB Antonio Malone
LB Marcus Randall
DT Devarick Scandrett
CB Frank Walker

Waivers (6): WR Carlyle Holiday (Ari), 2006; CB Jarrett Bush (Car), 2006; WR Shaun Bodiford (Det), 2006; K Dave Rayner (Ind.), 2006; S Charlie Peprah (NYG), 2006; G/C Tony Palmer (StL), 2006

Uh, i think you missed a couple:

Reggie White
Sean Jones
Ingram
Rison
Keith Jackson

no superbowl without these guys. Open your eyes TT

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes FLA.........but have you really seen an impact player of White's stature available? I sure haven't.
So...........should TT just HURRY UP and spend the money on guys that really arn't that great, just so he LOOKS good?
Or should he really make sure that it's money well spent?
I have seen people at store sales run up and grab stuff that was on sale, JUST because it was there. They were pushed because of everyone else also running to get it quick, before someone else gets it! (The old "feeding frenzy!") It reminds me of the bidding wars i see NFL GM's do every year. They all run, with their money in their hands to get some guy quick, before someone else gets him!!!
And just like the people in the store, later they end up scratching their heads and saying "Man, did i waste he money on THAT junk!"

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes FLA.........but have you really seen an impact player of White's stature available? I sure haven't.
So...........should TT just HURRY UP and spend the money on guys that really arn't that great, just so he LOOKS good?
I have seen people at store sales run up and grab stuff that was on sale, JUST because it was there. They were pushed because of everyone else also running to get it quick, before someone else gets it! (The old "feeding frenzy!") It reminds me of the bidding wars i see NFL GM's do every year. They all run, with their money in their hands to get some guy quick, before someone else gets him!!!
And just like the people in the store, later they end up scratching their heads and saying "Man, did i waste he money on THAT junk!"

I understand not spending for that reason.

BUT....there is a way to spend money in the current year or the next 2 or 3 years without ******** ourselves for the future. They are just being cheap *****. There is no excuse for us to enter the season again like last year with that much cap room and so many holes to fill. Its just stupid.

Picking up Randy Moss isnt going to hurt us for the next 20 years are you kidding. He is even willing to restructure his contract. We could easily sign him to a deal and cut him after 3 years if we wanted to while not strapping our cap for the next 5 years. They are just trying to put a few bucks in stockholders pockets or something. It makes no sense to me.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stockholders of the Green Bay Packers make no money on their investment in the organization flapack.

Look man, i dont want to hear it. Someone IS keeping that money we are not spending. It aint me or you, it aint the fans/players/coaches. Someone is pocketing this money and i guarantee you that person either is TT or has influence on TT's decision making.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers organisation is keeping that money. It works very much like a foundation.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's ridiculous to claim TT isn't spending because he's putting the money in his own pocket, loooool!

The TT bashers have gone completely insane. You've got no arguments, so you have to hoax some.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers organisation is keeping that money. It works very much like a foundation.

Cool, so while my packers suffer through another 8 - 8 season at least i can be happy that the fking packer foundation saved a few bucks. Who gives a damn. Its not my money.

Is it your money? Are you a member of the packers organization trying to defend lack of free agency activity on a packers forum ???

If not, i dont understand your posts or logic.

Am i supposed to get excited about "Packers re-sign Tory Humphrey"

I never even heard of Humphrey.

Who the hell cares about a 4th string/practice squad tight end. he will not improve this team this year so who cares. Why make a freaking thread about this

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FLA your having a bad morning aren't you.

TT has a budget and he will spend it, just has he has every year prior, as Sherman did before that, etc. If he didn't spend it at years end then yes, you can complain about his not spending. Last year at this tinme he didn't spend either. He will. Remember, a lot of good players will get realeased by June 1 for bonus reasons.

When you are sick, do yo allow a doctor to make sure he diagnoses you properly, even if that takes time. Or do you demand he give you a shot, any ole shot, just as long as he looks like he is working?

Haste makes waste....usually.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score

TT has a budget and he will spend it, just has he has every year prior, as Sherman did before that, etc. If he didn't spend it at years end then yes, you can complain about his not spending. Last year at this tinme he didn't spend either. He will. Remember, a lot of good players will get realeased by June 1 for bonus reasons.

When you are sick, do yo allow a doctor to make sure he diagnoses you properly, even if that takes time. Or do you demand he give you a shot, any ole shot, just as long as he looks like he is working?

The problem is alot of FA's who could have helped this team are gone. This team needs to much help to cross your fingers and hope some good players get released after June 1st, especially when TT could have made a move to get guys in the last few weeks.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Im having a good morning actually. Its just hard to sit back and smile when good teams are getting better and we are just sitting on our hands smiling as good player after good player go by. While our general manager is visiting draft picks we have no intention of getting. While Bubba Franks is still #1 on the depth chart.

Maybe that is fun for you and you like to think long term progress like 5 years from now we will be good. But honestly, that is not true either.

todays NFL is a now league. Win now, not later. Look what happened with our offensive linemen who left and Javon Walker who left.

Are we going to develop our young players just to have them walk on us again? Because it wasnt fun the first time it happened.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

Im having a good morning actually. Its just hard to sit back and smile when good teams are getting better and we are just sitting on our hands smiling as good player after good player go by. While our general manager is visiting draft picks we have no intention of getting. While Bubba Franks is still #1 on the depth chart.

Maybe that is fun for you and you like to think long term progress like 5 years from now we will be good. But honestly, that is not true either.

todays NFL is a now league. Win now, not later. Look what happened with our offensive linemen who left and Javon Walker who left.
Are we going to develop our young players just to have them walk on us again? Because it wasnt fun the first time it happened.

I'm sorry but we did not lose that much with Wahle and Rivera leaving. I see the Panthers play every week and their line is not very good at all -- either running the ball or giving Delhomme time to throw.

Rivera's career in Dallas is just about over due to injuries and the signing of Leonard Davis will most likely shove him on out.

So, we could have signed 2 players 2 years ago that had reached their peak and were beginning their downhill slide for a lot of money or moved on to cheaper, younger players with a lot more long term potential.

I think Ted saw that they were reaching the pinnacle and did not want to overpay just for a couple of years (much like Ahman Green's situation).

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cheesey,
Were you one of them fighting over the Cabbage Patch Dolls? Or was it the "Tickle Me" Elmo?

Or we'll just say it was the new Playstations, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts