Packers re-sign Neal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

raj34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Putting the band back together!

Could be a good move if he can prove last year's durability wasn't an anomaly. I wonder what the terms are.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing Demarcus Ware just signed for 3 years 30 million so essentially the same 10 million per year Shields is getting now. Ware got 5 million more guaranteed. Who would help our defense more Sam or Demarcus? And we could have fit both in under cap but choosing one I would choose Ware all day. Now the numbers on Neal's contract haven't come out yet but we better not find out its for 5 million a year or something why you would not just spend the extra money to get a top 5 3-4 OLB is over my head.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing Demarcus Ware just signed for 3 years 30 million so essentially the same 10 million per year Shields is getting now. Ware got 5 million more guaranteed. Who would help our defense more Sam or Demarcus? And we could have fit both in under cap but choosing one I would choose Ware all day. Now the numbers on Neal's contract haven't come out yet but we better not find out its for 5 million a year or something why you would not just spend the extra money to get a top 5 3-4 OLB is over my head.

A lot of things must be over your head since you didn't have the sense to post this in the Ware thread.

In a nutshell, he cost too much and wanted too many years.

Ware isn't a top five 3-4 OLB. He's 32-years old and coming off two injury-plagued seasons. The value wasn't there. Get a grip.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Shields had a much, much better year last year than Ware. He's also a ton younger. Also, as annoying as it is, we still don't know how good Perry can be on two good feet or how high Neal's ceiling is at OLB. A real fast cover corner was a much bigger need than an aging OLB that may be past his prime.

Don't get me wrong, for 5mil or something I'd have loved to give Ware a shot, but for the crazy money he got from the broncos there's no way we should have gone near him.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm curious to see Neal's deal. Since we just started trying him as a hybrid OLB/DE, I really prefer this short contract to a long one where we may get stuck with a tweener. Two years will catch his physical prime and give us enough time to see if he really can be a wildcard out there.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will bet you that Ware gets at least 10 sacks in 2014 and Von miller will have at least 15. He signed a 3 year 30 mil deal but only 20 is guaranteed so it's really a 2 year 20 million deal. He is 31 not 32, Reggie White was 31 when we signed him and that worked out pretty well. Being over 30 does not mean the guy can't play anymore. And he was miscast as a 4-3 de last season. He didn't have a good season but 6 sacks isn't terrible it was still 1 more than Perry and 1 more than Neal. When playing in a 3-4 his worst sack total was 8 and that was in his rookie year, 2005. Starting in 2006 he totaled 11.5, 14, 20, 11, 15.5, 19.5, and 11.5 in his most recent 3-4 season 2012. He is the kind of player that paired with Clay could have made our defense dominant.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever. IMO your valuation of Ware is warped and reflects little understanding of the salary cap ramifications.

BTW, Ware's b-day is in July. The quibbling over his age is stupid since he'll be 32 during the 2014 season.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will bet you that Ware gets at least 10 sacks in 2014 and Von miller will have at least 15. He signed a 3 year 30 mil deal but only 20 is guaranteed so it's really a 2 year 20 million deal. He is 31 not 32, Reggie White was 31 when we signed him and that worked out pretty well. Being over 30 does not mean the guy can't play anymore. And he was miscast as a 4-3 de last season. He didn't have a good season but 6 sacks isn't terrible it was still 1 more than Perry and 1 more than Neal. When playing in a 3-4 his worst sack total was 8 and that was in his rookie year, 2005. Starting in 2006 he totaled 11.5, 14, 20, 11, 15.5, 19.5, and 11.5 in his most recent 3-4 season 2012. He is the kind of player that paired with Clay could have made our defense dominant.

I wouldn't guarantee $20 million to a guy coming off the worst year of his career that was filled with injuries. Yes, we was very good before the season, but he could just certainly keep regressing and never return to his former ability.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Please dont compare Ware to arguably the greatest DL to ever play the game..White was a special player Ware cant even sniff Reggies jock strap.

Ware started 13 games and played in 13....6 sacks

Perry started 6 games and played in 11...4 sacks---Ware had two more, not one as you stated..But Ware was in 2 more games

Neal started in 10 and played in 16...5 sacks

Still way to much $$$ for Ware

JacobInFlorida

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually for most it pretty much does. Very few players have a high priced impact after that age.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually excited to see what Jerell Worthy can bring to the table now. After a lack luster rookie season and being injured last season, maybe he puts it together. It would be nice to see some of that Michigan State tape show up on the Packer's reel.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad they re-signed Neal assuming the contract is reasonable. He showed flashes last year, he stayed healthy, and he looks like a potentially strong contributor to this defense.

If he and Perry and/or Datone Jones...if 2 of those 3 can really show us something next year, that would make a pretty big difference. We might actually have a real pass rush.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of things must be over your head since you didn't have the sense to post this in the Ware thread.

In a nutshell, he cost too much and wanted too many years.

Ware isn't a top five 3-4 OLB. He's 32-years old and coming off two injury-plagued seasons. The value wasn't there. Get a grip.

I completely agree with everything you said here regarding Ware. I wanted him badly because when healthy I believe he is still a difference maker. That being said, he got way too much $ from a team that is clearly going for it. Could end up being a great move for Denver but $20M guaranteed is an insanely high # for him right now.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please dont compare Ware to arguably the greatest DL to ever play the game..White was a special player Ware cant even sniff Reggies jock strap.

Ware started 13 games and played in 13....6 sacks

Perry started 6 games and played in 11...4 sacks---Ware had two more, not one as you stated..But Ware was in 2 more games

Neal started in 10 and played in 16...5 sacks

Still way to much $$$ for Ware

This is why I'm not ready to give up on Perry yet. In 17 career games he has 6.5 sacks, while that number isn't what you'd like from a guy you drafted where we took him, I really believe he will have a spot on this team as a very nice situational pass rusher.

Neal also led the team in QB hurries and I believe he had 11 more then the next closest Packer. Very happy bringing him back, would like to see the #'s on this one though. Anyone have any idea what these are?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This is why I'm not ready to give up on Perry yet. In 17 career games he has 6.5 sacks, while that number isn't what you'd like from a guy you drafted where we took him, I really believe he will have a spot on this team as a very nice situational pass rusher.

Neal also led the team in QB hurries and I believe he had 11 more then the next closest Packer. Very happy bringing him back, would like to see the #'s on this one though. Anyone have any idea what these are?

I´m glad as well the Packers re-signed Neal, there´s no information so far about how much money he´ll receive. Perry has shown some flashes, the problem is though that he seems more natural rushing from the right side and I´m not sure he´ll get a lot of chances there.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m glad as well the Packers re-signed Neal, there´s no information so far about how much money he´ll receive. Perry has shown some flashes, the problem is though that he seems more natural rushing from the right side and I´m not sure he´ll get a lot of chances there.

See but this is my problem and it's the same problem I have with Raji... I get that these guys have natural position completely but this is the NFL and they're getting paid a lot of money to do a job. Both of these guys were drafted in the 1st round so it's not like they are talentless. Both IMO should be able to figure it the hell out and adapt to their situations. Raji has no excuse for his inability to be effective in a new position IMO, but Perry has been injured so I will give him a slight pass as his development has been stunted somewhat.

Josh Sitton was a RG, they flipped him over to LG and he admittidly said that it was a weird transition at first but guess what he figured it out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

See but this is my problem and it's the same problem I have with Raji... I get that these guys have natural position completely but this is the NFL and they're getting paid a lot of money to do a job. Both of these guys were drafted in the 1st round so it's not like they are talentless. Both IMO should be able to figure it the hell out and adapt to their situations. Raji has no excuse for his inability to be effective in a new position IMO, but Perry has been injured so I will give him a slight pass as his development has been stunted somewhat.

Josh Sitton was a RG, they flipped him over to LG and he admittidly said that it was a weird transition at first but guess what he figured it out.

I think Perry being injured a lot hasn´t helped his development at OLB. I hope he´ll be able to stay healthy and contribute whereevery the Packers want to play him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's being reported that Neal's deal is for $8M with $2.5 to sign. Fair deal IMO

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It's being reported that Neal's deal is for $8M with $2.5 to sign. Fair deal IMO

If he´ll be the starting OLB the deal seems to be fair. If he turns out to be only a backup that would be a lot of money.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Clarification on this... 300K roster bonuses in each year and a $1M roster bonus due next March according to Tom Pellisero

Members online

Latest posts