Packers RB James Starks Noticed by Falcons

szpjbb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before Sunday, most people have not heard the name, James Starks, the Green Bay Packers' rookie running back, but now, the Atlanta Falcons have noticed him after Starks rushed for 123 yards in Green Bay's 21-16 playoff victory at Philadelphia.

"He came out of nowhere," Falcons middle linebacker Curtis Lofton said. "I'd never heard of Starks. I'd never seen him on film until the past two weeks. But he's a talented back."

But obviously, the Falcons were not willing to allow some rookie to have a big performance in Saturday's playoff game at the Georgia Dome. But they just can not ignore this young guy.

Before Sunday, James Starks was a sixth-round pick out of Buffalo who had struggled to get on the field due to injuries and inconsistent practice habits. But last game vs. the Eagles, Starks rushed for 123 yards, helping the Packers got the 21-16 playoff victory.

Now, according to Packers coach Mike McCarthy, Starks has earned a bigger role in the offense. And Starks says he's ready.

"If you love this game, you love having the ball in your hands," Starks said. "I would love to have that but I'm grateful for whatever I can get. I'll take whatever I'm offered."

But even the Packers admit that Starks' breakout performance doesn't necessarily mean they have solved their season-long running game problems.

The Packers lost running back Ryan Grant to an ankle injury in Week 1, and after that they spent most of this season struggling to run the ball and leaned heavily on quarterback Aaron Rodgers and his wide receivers.

Maybe Starks could be the difference, but nothing is for sure. Rodgers said that every week, you never know who's going to get the majority of the carries. And Starks' inconsistent practice habit is the problem.

For all the guys on the Packers' offense, including James Starks, they need to do as they can in the practice in order to give the team confidence. Starks said that he had got the message. So let's see whether Starks will duplicate last week's performance.

View the whole article...

Members online

Latest posts