Packers Rank #4 In NFL Power Rankings

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a Skip Bayless wannabe, in other words he only cares about being provocative, not in giving insightful fact-based insights on teams.

Oh well, least I can I say that the more wrong these pundit nutjobs are about reading things into this team, the greater I'll say our chances are we shock them with a trip to H-Town come February.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those that want a more rosy opinion on the Packer's talent level, ESPN Insider has an article from PFF that ranks the Packer's talent as second best behind only the Patriots. They also specifically state that if the Packers hit on the 2016 draft then they should jump to #1.

They say that if Spriggs proves better than Bakh then the Packers will have one of the best olines in the NFL (they already state that the interior oline is among the best). They point to Barrington, Bakh, Jake Ryan, Guion and Cook as starters that could use improvement....bear in mind that if those are the guys that they think could be upgraded, the Packers are REALLY good at the other positions. I mean, Cook is certainly not a bad TE (though I do think there's a little too much hype surrounding him) but for him to be considered one of the weaker starters means that the others are really solid.

For those who might be curious, the Vikings come in at #10 on the list. They basically site the potential for the Vikings D to make the jump to elite great players at every level of the defense in Smith, Barr and Joseph and mentioning that Rhodes and Floyd have shown the ability to join that elite group. Lions are 24th and Bears are 30th in the list.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...anking-rosters-all-32-teams-2016-depth-talent

D

Deleted member 6794

For those that want a more rosy opinion on the Packer's talent level, ESPN Insider has an article from PFF that ranks the Packer's talent as second best behind only the Patriots. They also specifically state that if the Packers hit on the 2016 draft then they should jump to #1.

They say that if Spriggs proves better than Bakh then the Packers will have one of the best olines in the NFL (they already state that the interior oline is among the best). They point to Barrington, Bakh, Jake Ryan, Guion and Cook as starters that could use improvement....bear in mind that if those are the guys that they think could be upgraded, the Packers are REALLY good at the other positions. I mean, Cook is certainly not a bad TE (though I do think there's a little too much hype surrounding him) but for him to be considered one of the weaker starters means that the others are really solid.

For those who might be curious, the Vikings come in at #10 on the list. They basically site the potential for the Vikings D to make the jump to elite great players at every level of the defense in Smith, Barr and Joseph and mentioning that Rhodes and Floyd have shown the ability to join that elite group. Lions are 24th and Bears are 30th in the list.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/stor...anking-rosters-all-32-teams-2016-depth-talent

I agree that this article lists a more realistic assessment of the league´s rosters. Not surprisingly the author lists inside linebacker and tight end as the Packers positions in most need of an upgrade. Unfortunately that was already the case entering the offseason and Thompson didn´t address those with enough talent.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except what are they grading Cook on? He hasn't even played a snap for our O yet. Just don't think you can project his being an upgrade or a downgrade because the Rams run a different scheme than us and they don't have Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

My question about him would probably be whether or not he can be effective on some of those shorter patterned routes where he'd need to shake the LB or break a tackle and pick up the extra yards, something RR isn't exactly suited for. If he can, I could very much see him becoming a big asset to the O. Hopefully this foot surgery has no setback though and he can be running full speed by week 1.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that this article lists a more realistic assessment of the league´s rosters. Not surprisingly the author lists inside linebacker and tight end as the Packers positions in most need of an upgrade. Unfortunately that was already the case entering the offseason and Thompson didn´t address those with enough talent.

Very early to say the positions haven't been addressed properly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Except what are they grading Cook on? He hasn't even played a snap for our O yet. Just don't think you can project his being an upgrade or a downgrade because the Rams run a different scheme than us and they don't have Aaron Rodgers as their QB.

The Packers desperately needed an athletic tight end capable of stretching a defense and Cook fits the bill. I guess that´s the main reason fans expect him to be an upgrade.

Very early to say the positions haven't been addressed properly.

It´s possible Cook and Martinez end up being an improvement at the two positions in most dire need of an upgrade entering the offseason but they aren´t the players I hoped the Packers would bring in.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its fun to talk about stuff, but for those that needed a reminder, last year should have taught you that the seasons unfolds how it unfolds. For everything you account for, 100 other things happen. Some are expected or probable, and some are just head scratchers. I think this team is in a very good position as it sits right now. I would not be surprised at all to be in the Super Bowl when Feb. rolls around, but i'm fully aware there are a million variables that will challenge that thought. :)

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers desperately needed an athletic tight end capable of stretching a defense and Cook fits the bill. I guess that´s the main reason fans expect him to be an upgrade.

Right, I meant on that article that said he had to improve as a starter, or whatever that was.

I'm pretty high on Cook so .... I don't know if we'll get a big Jermichael Finley play out of him, but I think he can be that extra pair of wheels that comes in when you need a bit of lightning to strike.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm pretty high on Cook so .... I don't know if we'll get a big Jermichael Finley play out of him, but I think he can be that extra pair of wheels that comes in when you need a bit of lightning to strike.

Cook wasn't my favorite choice at the position entering the offseason but I'm optimistic he ends up improving the overall performance of the unit.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its fun to talk about stuff, but for those that needed a reminder, last year should have taught you that the seasons unfolds how it unfolds. For everything you account for, 100 other things happen. Some are expected or probable, and some are just head scratchers. I think this team is in a very good position as it sits right now. I would not be surprised at all to be in the Super Bowl when Feb. rolls around, but i'm fully aware there are a million variables that will challenge that thought. :)

True, I think many of us want the concerns about the WRs to be put to bed and feel that they will be. We'll have to see the actual 2016 season get underway before assuming all the kinks have been jetted out of this group, but there's some good reason to believe our WR production will be at a much higher level this season over last.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Very insightful post Mondio. Fans have a tendency to think in very static (on paper) terms in assessing the relative merits of teams. We've got a strong organization with proven capable people that have built a talented, deep roster of players. Many challenges lie ahead. I'm optimistic like you that the challenges will be met.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, getting closer. Thank god this year we get to play in the Hall Of Fame Game very early in August, getting a chance to end our offseason doldrums very early.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM usually only has one, maybe 2 preseason games this year, that he actually uses as a regular season tuneup game, and I suspect apart from those games, he'll use his starters very sparingly.

D

Deleted member 6794

MM usually only has one, maybe 2 preseason games this year, that he actually uses as a regular season tuneup game, and I suspect apart from those games, he'll use his starters very sparingly.

McCarthy mostly uses preseason games to give key backups significant playing time as well as to evaluate the players on the bubble of making the roster. I guess the starters will get most snaps in the team's fourth one at San Francisco.