Packers Rank #4 In NFL Power Rankings

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams was a decent #3 receiver behind Nelson and Cobb during his rookie season. Not surprisingly he wasn't ready to fill Jordy's shoes last year though.

I'm confident that with Belson returning in 2016 Adams' performance will improve as well.

I'm confident he ends up demoted. But we shall see. Can't keep using Jordys loss as an excuse. We shall see.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would it surprise you guys that Davante has significant more catches and yards in
his first two seasons than Jordy? Yes, Jordy had more competition back in 2008
and 2009, but I'm sure many of us felt he was a major disappointment early in
his career. Sometimes it takes a couple of years for receivers to adjust to the pro
game.
Receptions. Yards. Avg. TDs

Davante Adams 88. 929. 10.6. 4

Jordy Nelson. 55. 686. 12.4. 4

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting back to the rankings thing, I just saw this poll. While interesting to look at I don't put much stock in these types of polls because they tend to look backward more than forward. meh
http://pro32.ap.org/poll

I think that poll was published at the end of the 2015 regular season.

Would it surprise you guys that Davante has significant more catches and yards in
his first two seasons than Jordy? Yes, Jordy had more competition back in 2008
and 2009, but I'm sure many of us felt he was a major disappointment early in
his career. Sometimes it takes a couple of years for receivers to adjust to the pro
game.
Receptions. Yards. Avg. TDs

Davante Adams 88. 929. 10.6. 4

Jordy Nelson. 55. 686. 12.4. 4

I´ve mentioned that repeatedly but it´s also true that Adams (160 targets, 55.0% catch rate) has had way more chances to be productive during his first two seasons in the league than Nelson (85 targets, 64.7% catch rate).

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would really love to line up against Carolina again for a little revenge. Living in Carolina, was really tired of the bandwagon hype surrounding the Panthers last year. Granted they were a strong team, would love another shot at them and see how quickly the "dab" gets laid to rest.
I am a Packer fan living in Charlotte myself. Yeah, the whole dab thing got really annoying. If they have an 8-8 year, these fans will fold.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucky Brooks doesn´t think Packers are one of the 10 most talented teams in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...e-10-most-talented-teams?campaign=Twitter_atn
So now you reference an expert who is negative towards the Packers.

But when I provide a link that is positive about the Packers level of talent you argue:
You just don't get it, eh??? I don't care what the experts think.

Heres what Bucky thought last year:

http://www.nflcdn.com/news/story/0a...ets-and-eagles-among-nfls-most-talented-teams

Bills were more talented than the Broncos.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not to be flip, but who the heck is Bucky Brooks? I've never heard of the guy.

Brooks is a former NFL player who currently works as an analyst for NFL.com and NFL Network.

There about 4-5 other teams that I want to see how well they do playing a 1st place sschedule this year.

First place teams only play two different opponents than the other teams in a division. It doesn´t make that big of a difference.

I like how he has Jason Pierre Paul and Jimmy Graham as elite players given the
injuries they suffered last year.

Pierre-Paul returned last season and according to Pro Football Focus played well in more than 500 snaps.

So now you reference
an expert who is negative towards the Packers.

But when I provide a link that is positive about the Packers level of talent you argue.

I don´t care about what Bucky Brooks thinks about the Packers just wanted to share that not every expert believes in the team being one of the most talented in the league.

BTW I don´t agree with him at all and have Green Bay as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl in 2016 but I´m convinced you keep ignoring that like you always have.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm stepping out on a limb and saying that Brooks is an outlier. I'm thinking that most current NFL scouts probably rate our talent level higher than Brooks does. Some of his blue chip players had me scratching my head. He certainly is entitled to his opinion and has a platform for expressing it but I don't agree with some of his thoughts. Our free agent compensation leads me to believe that important decision makers don't agree with Brooks as well.

Last edited:

Sky King

Reaction score
Brooks is a former NFL player who currently works as an analyst for NFL.com and NFL Network.
That piqued my curiosity so I looked him up. Former CB apparently. His name still does not ring a bell with me.

No offense to him but his assessment lacks insightfullness and accuracy. If this typifies his brand of quality journalism then there are much better alternatives to be found elsewhere for getting NFL news. Personally, I lack the time to read or watch everything put out there. Choosing reliable informational sources is essential to me and he's not not very likely to be one of those few that I will take the time to read.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there are so many questions about Adams and if he can perform at a high level then he shouldn't be the #3 wr. Period. James Jones excelled at the #3 wr when he was behind Driver/Jennings and then Jennings/Nelson. Maybe TT made a mistake by not at least bringing him back for one more season. I like Nelson/Jones/Cobb better than Nelson/Adams/Cobb.

That keyword "was" is important here my friend. I know where you're coming from on this but considering that Jones is about to be 32 and looked like he'd lost a few steps last year, I think the smart call was to move on from him. Sure at times the old James Jones was back out there making some plays that we remember him for, but seemed like a lot of times he was totally invisible and other times he seemed to stop running on his deep routes. It's possible our WR core was more beatup than we thought, or that our lack of coaches at that position last year caused this problem, but it just seemed to me that James Jones's time here had about come to a close.

As was mentioned, Adams can be a real playmaker and a guy who if he just gets back to doing what he did his rookie season, he'll be tough to stop. Just needs to catch that ball and turn it upfield.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would really love to line up against Carolina again for a little revenge. Living in Carolina, was really tired of the bandwagon hype surrounding the Panthers last year. Granted they were a strong team, would love another shot at them and see how quickly the "dab" gets laid to rest.

Good news is I think we would beat them and beat them bad if we played them this year. I say that because they lost Josh Norman off that roster and that's grounds enough to prove that.

Losing that guy for them would be as bad as Seattle losing both Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. Norman was able to free up safeties and linebackers underneath because of his ability to go 1 on 1 on the outside with a team's best receiver and not need any help. With him gone the Panthers have nobody who can do that, and a largely unproven secondary as a whole too now that those old farts peanut Tillman and Roman Harper are gone. Linebacking corps will still be tough for them, but Thomas Davis is now 33 and will be on his last year (or close to it) in his career with that brutal injury he suffered last year, and overall their D is not going to be as lucky to escape injuries this year as it did last year I'd say.

They might still be tough, but I think Atlanta just might move into the south's drivers seat now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Good news is I think we would beat them and beat them bad if we played them this year. I say that because they lost Josh Norman off that roster and that's grounds enough to prove that.

Losing that guy for them would be as bad as Seattle losing both Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman. Norman was able to free up safeties and linebackers underneath because of his ability to go 1 on 1 on the outside with a team's best receiver and not need any help. With him gone the Panthers have nobody who can do that, and a largely unproven secondary as a whole too now that those old farts peanut Tillman and Roman Harper are gone. Linebacking corps will still be tough for them, but Thomas Davis is now 33 and will be on his last year (or close to it) in his career with that brutal injury he suffered last year, and overall their D is not going to be as lucky to escape injuries this year as it did last year I'd say.

They might still be tough, but I think Atlanta just might move into the south's drivers seat now.

Losing Josh Norman for sure hurts the Panthers but you´re exaggerating the effects. They´re still the team to beat in their division and most likely in the NFC. After Carolina beat us soundly last season I don´t feel comfortable about the Packers chances to defeat them bad if we end up playing them again in 2016.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confident he ends up demoted. But we shall see. Can't keep using Jordys loss as an excuse. We shall see.

Since when can anyone be "confident" about anything surrounding a guy who has played only two seasons, one of which was plagued by injury? I don't recall Jordy Nelson blowing up the league in his first two seasons. Golden Tate wasn't a whole lot better than Adams through his first two seasons.

And why exactly can't Jordy's loss be used as an excuse? I mean, if it was relevant once then it can ALWAYS be used as an excuse because it actually happened...the past doesn't change just because it gets repeated. I mean, if we're not using Jordy's loss as an excuse then we need to also apportion blame to Rodgers and Cobb as well as Adams...and Rodgers and Cobb deserve far more criticism because those two are established stars while Adams was a second year player.

And, no, wasn't just Jordy's loss (though that was a huge part of it). It was also a terrible coaching job by not changing receiver routes when it was obvious that modern passing schemes would be hugely beneficial and it was also on Lacy for being terrible out of shape and getting himself hurt due to being out of shape (not to mention that all that extra weight wasn't exactly helpful in getting over injury).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Josh Norman for sure hurts the Panthers but you´re exaggerating the effects. They´re still the team to beat in their division and most likely in the NFC. After Carolina beat us soundly last season I don´t feel comfortable about the Packers chances to defeat them bad if we end up playing them again in 2016.

I don't know, I kind of think that the Cardinals are probably the team to beat. They were very good last year, and remember at the end they were missing Defensive Player of the Year Candidate in Mathieu, and they added another very good pass rusher in Chandler Jones.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know, I kind of think that the Cardinals are probably the team to beat. They were very good last year, and remember at the end they were missing Defensive Player of the Year Candidate in Mathieu, and they added another very good pass rusher in Chandler Jones.

I agree that the Cardinals are a team to be reckoned with in the NFC. In my opinion the other favorites include the Packers, Panthers and Seahawks.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1- stay healthy
2-Nelson picks up where he left off
3-Lacy returns to form
4-past proven players- I'm looking at you, guys who play offence- return to form
5-Some youngsters improve and contribute
6-their best players play like their best players. Guys like Rodgers and Matthews need to be big.
This is accurate. Stay healthy and execute.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's just something about this year that really makes me feel we're going to do it, that we're going to be heading to Houston next February.

I feel like a lot of phony experts are writing off Rodgers just because he had one bad year last year, even with 31 Tds to 8 ints, and he's going to make them eat it and eat it bad. I think the O is going to really take off this year and once again strike fear into the hearts of those trying to stop it, especially with Cook in the mix now.

Now I get it, I know I gotta be careful about drinking too much green coolaid. Maybe I can't completely dismiss last season's problems or just assume that a magic wand's going to wave them away, but at the same time they aren't unfixable. Now if Rodgers is throwing too many errant passes over the middle, missing or way off target on back shoulder throws or comeback routes or we're seeing nobody able to shake defenders loose again, I'll raise the alarm. But I think this year's offense, coupled by a defense that's getting better is out to prove something and prove it big time.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's just something about this year that really makes me feel we're going to do it, that we're going to be heading to Houston next February.

I feel like a lot of phony experts are writing off Rodgers just because he had one bad year last year, even with 31 Tds to 8 ints, and he's going to make them eat it and eat it bad. I think the O is going to really take off this year and once again strike fear into the hearts of those trying to stop it, especially with Cook in the mix now.

Now I get it, I know I gotta be careful about drinking too much green coolaid. Maybe I can't completely dismiss last season's problems or just assume that a magic wand's going to wave them away, but at the same time they aren't unfixable. Now if Rodgers is throwing too many errant passes over the middle, missing or way off target on back shoulder throws or comeback routes or we're seeing nobody able to shake defenders loose again, I'll raise the alarm. But I think this year's offense, coupled by a defense that's getting better is out to prove something and prove it big time.

I´m not worried about Rodgers´ performance at all as long as he stays healthy and the wide receivers and tight ends are able to get separation from opposing defensive backs. Hopefully Nelson returning healthy, adding Jared Cook and having a designated position coach in Luke Getsy results in a better performance by the unit.

Members online

Latest posts