Packers Rank #4 In NFL Power Rankings

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just getting to the playoffs with Rodgers isn't a mark of being a terrific front office, it's a mark of not being incompetent.
Bingo. And that goes for the coaching as well. Remember: you only have to be a bit above average to get into the playoffs, given that 37.5% of the teams are in the tournament. It will only get easier when they expand the field. Front offices and coaches will be fired for not WINNING in the playoffs as much as for not making them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get that Sunshine I do. However, you seriously cannot expect Super Bowls...you can only build a team that can compete for one...ala making it to the playoffs.

I am right there with you that in AR's time slot we should in my personal opinion have more or have been to more....however take into consideration some pretty ****** occurrences no coach or GM can control. Bostick's bonehead move cost us an appearance, last year despite SUCKING AR and injured team nearly made it past ARZ to push a chance...and that is just the two recent memories.

I get it, frustration when you have the best QB in the league by some definitions of not winning more SBs exists...however if it were easy Peyton would have won more in Indy, Brees in NO and Marino in Miami....having a great QB doesn't equal SBs sometimes no matter what the organization does.

I make no excuses or justifications for this team and it's runs during ARs time here. We've been in position to win SBs nearly every year...
GB has been far from the best team each year. If the opposition must play the worst game of their lives (Russell Wilson in Seattle in 2014) in order for us to have a chance, and we still lose, there are major problems. The only way I will feel confident in a SB trip is if we have the best roster...the coaching is going to do absolutely no favors.

I feel like Cook will open up the offense some more so the great defenses don't just have to worry about stopping 1 guy, but I don't see any changes on defense other than providing sustainability through the draft. We had solid young players do well last year, but so did every other team, and Arizona added a double digit sack guy and top 10 talent to their DL on a team that was already better than GB. And Carolina is having their #1 WR come back on a team that was already better than GB. And so on. And both teams are more well-coached.

I feel like we are still at a disadvantage, and that TT didn't do enough to put us in a better position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has been far from the best team each year.

Never said we were...as a matter of fact I'd say in AR's tenure IMO we were arguably the best team once...hottest team (in playoffs) one year and we won the SB that year.

Arizona added a double digit sack guy and top 10 talent to their DL on a team that was already better than GB.

Better, only because they beat us? They were definitely better than the GB they faced...but that is due to injuries, Lacy being fat and lack of adjustments by coaching staff...2016 GB "should be" (no guarantee) a lot better team....we will see if that means better than any specific team though.

And Carolina is having their #1 WR come back on a team that was already better than GB. And so on. And both teams are more well-coached.

I feel like we are still at a disadvantage, and that TT didn't do enough to put us in a better position.

Honestly, there were not many FA's out there that we could justify or afford to do more this off season than TT did. He brought in a TE threat which was dire need, he has attempted (draftees can go both extremes and only time will show) to plug the gap left by Raji, find a ILB that can cover, added another speedster at WR and brought in potential starter and solid depth along the OL. He also went and got McCray which has potential as well.

Only time will tell if it all pans out and plugs or fixes all the spots...but I seriously don't see anything TT should have done or could have done more of (outside of arguing who he should have drafted)??

D

Deleted member 6794

Please provide highlighted text in Pikers post where he states there are posters predicting the Packers wont make the playoffs in 2016.

Did I miss something??? Last time I checked 12 and not 29 teams make the playoffs.

I'm still waiting for one of you to provide a link to a post indicating the Packers are the fourth worst team in the league.

Honestly, there were not many FA's out there that we could justify or afford to do more this off season than TT did. He brought in a TE threat which was dire need, he has attempted (draftees can go both extremes and only time will show) to plug the gap left by Raji, find a ILB that can cover, added another speedster at WR and brought in potential starter and solid depth along the OL. He also went and got McCray which has potential as well.

Only time will tell if it all pans out and plugs or fixes all the spots...but I seriously don't see anything TT should have done or could have done more of (outside of arguing who he should have drafted)??

There were several inside linebackers available in free agency who would have provided a much needed upgrade. But Thompson decided to not even pick up the phone to call them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I miss something??? Last time I checked 12 and not 29 teams make the playoffs.

I'm still waiting for one of you to provide a link to a post indicating the Packers are the fourth worst team in the league.

There were several inside linebackers available in free agency who would have provided a much needed upgrade. But Thompson decided to not even pick up the phone to call them.

I concur on the ILB but how much cash did he have to spend? Also it'd been a "rent-a-year" type situation because we all know about next year's looming contract endings which are going to leave some tough decisions money wise and contract wise on the table.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I miss something???
Yes. Yes you did.
Why? I never made such a claim. Neither did the Pikebadger in the post you apparently didn't read very carefully.
Please provide a link where someone states Barrington and Ryan are HOFers and cannot be upgraded.

D

Deleted member 6794

I concur on the ILB but how much cash did he have to spend? Also it'd been a "rent-a-year" type situation because we all know about next year's looming contract endings which are going to leave some tough decisions money wise and contract wise on the table.

Thompson overpaid to re-sign several of the team's own free agents and because of it didn't have any money to spend on an inside linebacker.

Why? I never made such a claim. Neither did the Pikebadger in the post you apparently didn't read very carefully.

Once again, Pike said that the tone might lead you to believe we are ranked 4th from the bottom. I was asking him to provide a link to a single post justifying this assessment. Why you felt the need to get involved in this discussion without providing any meaningful information is beyond my understanding.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we overpaid Crosby...arguably Perry to an extent....who else.....wait what'd Starks get?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
OK. Please provide posts where the tone indicates missing the playoffs.
The tone indicates darkness and foreboding for the future (2017) (perceived cap problems). Imo the general tone would indicate that this is a Titans, Bills, Eagles, saints board. It doesn't seem to jive with an elite franchise's board. The tone of posts is what I'm referring to. I get it that some despise Thompson and enjoy taking snarky shots at him. Not everyone likes charismatic blowhards (tic), I get that.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, Pike said that the tone might lead you to believe we are ranked 4th from the bottom. I was asking him to provide a link to a single post justifying this assessment.
First reading comprehension, now writing comprehension. That isn't what you asked.

If you really wanted to discuss something you wouldnt have been using a strawman. And really, it doesnt bother me and I doubt Piker really cares. But there is no need to get pissy when you get called on it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm convinced. People are spoiled. Just like Badger football fans who think we should be better than Ohio State every year. In both cases, the deck is stacked against us.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we overpaid Crosby...arguably Perry to an extent....who else.....wait what'd Starks get?

Starks got $6 million for two years, too much for a backup running back.

The tone indicates darkness and foreboding for the future (2017) (perceived cap problems). Imo the general tone would indicate that this is a Titans, Bills, Eagles, saints board. It doesn't seem to jive with an elite franchise's board. The tone of posts is what I'm referring to. I get it that some despise Thompson and enjoy taking snarky shots at him. Not everyone likes charismatic blowhards (tic), I get that.

Ignoring facts isn't a smart way to look at things. HRE has done a good job analyzing the Packers cap situation yet you continue to disregard the information because Thompson has done a good job managing the cap in the past.

I don't think a lot of posters despise Thompson but some of us are able to evaluate him in an objective way and not agree with every single move he makes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Starks got $6 million for two years, too much for a backup running back.

Ignoring facts isn't a smart way to look at things. HRE has done a good job analyzing the Packers cap situation yet you continue to disregard the information because Thompson has done a good job managing the cap in the past.

I don't think a lot of posters despise Thompson but some of us are able to evaluate him in an objective way and not agree with every single move he makes.
I'm not ignoring facts and I'm not disregarding the information. I feel that both of you have done a good job of presenting facts and information. I also think that both of you have come to a premature negative conclusion that 2017 is going to bad. Both of you in the past have habitually disregarded the potential progress of skill development in our young players and you continue to do so imo. I don't really care if some of our guys end up signing with another team. I believe in player replacement and I believe Thompson will put together a roster in 2017 that will be successful and again be in championship contention. And no, I don't agree with everything Thompson does, but he's got access to a lot more information than any of us do and I'm willing to defer to him on most aspects of his job. He's one of the most respected GM's in the league by both his peers and industry insiders. That means he has a lot more credibility than any fan board poster anywhere, anytime.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also think that both of you have come to a premature negative conclusion that 2017 is going to bad. Both of you in the past have habitually disregarded the potential progress of skill development in our young players and you continue to do so imo. I don't really care if some of our guys end up signing with another team. I believe in player replacement and I believe Thompson will put together a roster in 2017 that will be successful and again be in championship contention.

First of all let me be clear about my expectations for the Packers in 2017. I'm absolutely convinced the team will be a Super Bowl contender as long as Rodgers is healthy. There's no denying that the offensive line and outside linebacker have to be addressed next offseason. Unfortunately the team won't have a lot of cap space available to achieve that goal.

While it's possible young players develop to adequately replace veterans leaving in free agency it doesn't work out that way all the time. Just take a look at the safety positions some years back or inside linebacker over the past few seasons.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ignoring facts and I'm not disregarding the information. I feel that both of you have done a good job of presenting facts and information. I also think that both of you have come to a premature negative conclusion that 2017 is going to bad. Both of you in the past have habitually disregarded the potential progress of skill development in our young players and you continue to do so imo. I don't really care if some of our guys end up signing with another team. I believe in player replacement and I believe Thompson will put together a roster in 2017 that will be successful and again be in championship contention. And no, I don't agree with everything Thompson does, but he's got access to a lot more information than any of us do and I'm willing to defer to him on most aspects of his job. He's one of the most respected GM's in the league by both his peers and industry insiders. That means he has a lot more credibility than any fan board poster anywhere, anytime.

That sounds pretty close to what would be the death knell for a sports forum - if he's more credible that us, we have no reason to be allowed contrary opinions. With the extra free time, we could concentrate on MM, but, no, that wouldn't work, because he a respected coach. There are still a lot of players, but a lot of them are hard workers, may have injuries we don't know about, and are respected. Perhaps a list of things/people/positions that are fair game for criticism would be helpful.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
First of all let me be clear about my expectations for the Packers in 2017. I'm absolutely convinced the team will be a Super Bowl contender as long as Rodgers is healthy. There's no denying that the offensive line and outside linebacker have to be addressed next offseason. Unfortunately the team won't have a lot of cap space available to achieve that goal.

While it's possible young players develop to adequately replace veterans leaving in free agency it doesn't work out that way all the time. Just take a look at the safety positions some years back or inside linebacker over the past few seasons.
Agree. Sometimes it doesn't work out, sometimes it actually works out better to let guys go.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty close to what would be the death knell for a sports forum - if he's more credible that us, we have no reason to be allowed contrary opinions. With the extra free time, we could concentrate on MM, but, no, that wouldn't work, because he a respected coach. There are still a lot of players, but a lot of them are hard workers, may have injuries we don't know about, and are respected. Perhaps a list of things/people/positions that are fair game for criticism would be helpful.
There's always Dom Capers, Brad Jones, John Kuhn, jarrett Bush, AJ Hawk, Michael Bostick, Don Barclay, Estus Hood et al. :D

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1- stay healthy
2-Nelson picks up where he left off
3-Lacy returns to form
4-past proven players- I'm looking at you, guys who play offence- return to form
5-Some youngsters improve and contribute
6-their best players play like their best players. Guys like Rodgers and Matthews need to be big.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1- stay healthy
2-Nelson picks up where he left off
3-Lacy returns to form
4-past proven players- I'm looking at you, guys who play offence- return to form
5-Some youngsters improve and contribute
6-their best players play like their best players. Guys like Rodgers and Matthews need to be big.

Yeah, Adams is probably the biggest "?" there. If he can just get back to catching what's thrown his way the offense should be able to start being the efficient one that it was designed to be. Hopefully having a receivers coach this year means this thing is going to get jump-started.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, Adams is probably the biggest "?" there. If he can just get back to catching what's thrown his way the offense should be able to start being the efficient one that it was designed to be. Hopefully having a receivers coach this year means this thing is going to get jump-started.

Nelson hopefully returning to full strength should take a lot of pressure of every other receiver on the roster. Cobb and Adams have to significantly improve their performance.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson hopefully returning to full strength should take a lot of pressure of every other receiver on the roster. Cobb and Adams have to significantly improve their performance.

And the coaching staff, knowing the issues they had without Nelson, must be better prepared to deal with those issues from day one, especially since it appears we'll have the same group of people this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

And the coaching staff, knowing the issues they had without Nelson, must be better prepared to deal with those issues from day one, especially since it appears we'll have the same group of people this year.

Hopefully having a designated receivers coach will help improve the unit's performance this season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there are so many questions about Adams and if he can perform at a high level then he shouldn't be the #3 wr. Period. James Jones excelled at the #3 wr when he was behind Driver/Jennings and then Jennings/Nelson. Maybe TT made a mistake by not at least bringing him back for one more season. I like Nelson/Jones/Cobb better than Nelson/Adams/Cobb.

D

Deleted member 6794

If there are so many questions about Adams and if he can perform at a high level then he shouldn't be the #3 wr. Period. James Jones excelled at the #3 wr when he was behind Driver/Jennings and then Jennings/Nelson. Maybe TT made a mistake by not at least bringing him back for one more season. I like Nelson/Jones/Cobb better than Nelson/Adams/Cobb.

Adams was a decent #3 receiver behind Nelson and Cobb during his rookie season. Not surprisingly he wasn't ready to fill Jordy's shoes last year though.

I'm confident that with Belson returning in 2016 Adams' performance will improve as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts