Packers-Raiders Postgame: 3 wins away from perfection

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a 46-16 win over Oakland, the Packers need wins over Kansas City, Detroit and Chicago to finish the year undefeated.

That's the easy part (with no disrespect to those teams).

Now the proverbial "to rest or not to rest starters" debate goes to the top of the agenda.

The Packers clinched a first-round bye in the NFC playoffs on Sunday. They practically have home-field advantage wrapped up. Technically they could lose lose home-field advantange that if they were to lose their final three games and the 49ers win their final three games. That's not likely to happen so the Packers are almost guaranteed two playoff games at Lambeau. They have reached their goal. Unless of course the goal is now to go 16-0.

"It’s all about Kansas City," said coach Mike McCarthy after the game.

"This is the target. This is the next mile marker. Our goal is home-field advantage all the way through, make sure we’re playing playoff games at Lambeau Field. I know that’s where my mind is at. I don’t think the players are quite there yet. We have a midnight rule and I’m sure they’ll enjoy this until midnight. Hopefully only until midnight. But it’s about the Chiefs. And to get to 14-0, we’ll be able to accomplish our goal of home-field advantage."

When asked about whether he would rest his starters in the coming weeks, McCarthy said Sunday night, "We don't play scared".

B.J. Raji had this to say after the game, via ESPN, "I think I can speak for coach in that he's going to try to go for this thing (go undefeated)."

Raji continued "You don't win a Super Bowl by being scared. You just play. That's the message [McCarthy] is preaching. Just play the game because … that's the way you're supposed to play it. You're not supposed to be playing a game and looking at all of these scenarios of who you want to play. That's not how football is supposed to be played. Generally, if you do things the right way, hopefully you get some luck in the injury thing."

Charles Woodson said, via SI.com, "We'll play to win every game. What that means as far as who's playing, I'm not sure.''
Sunday Aaron Rodgers finished with 281 yards, 2 TDs and an interception on 17 of 30 passing, in about three quarters worth of work.

It was a great day for Ryan Grant, a revival of sorts, making the most of carries in the absence of James Starks. Grant totaled 85 yards on 10 carries and scored 2 TDS. Grant’s 47-yard TD run in the first quarter was his longest run since a 56-yard TD run vs. Seattle on Dec. 27, 2009. It was also his first TD of the season and the Packers’ longest run of the season.

Eight players caught passes, led by Donald Driver for four catches on 75 yards.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts