Packers Quarterback Situation Going Forward

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that many of us have had the necessary time to get over the QB problems in Green Bay. They've been well documented so I won't go into a review. My question is where do you all see us going from here? Obviously Rodgers is the starter. There are three guys behind him: Flynn, Tolzien, and Wallace. Flynn and Wallace are FAs.

My thinking is that resigning Flynn for the veteran minimum is as good or better than bringing in somebody else's backup into our system. Flynn can win games for us, we've seen that. I like Tolzien as a development QB to eventually be the backup.

What do you think?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn to a min deal. Nobody else is going to bite on him and he's a damn fine backup for us.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought there was talk that Tolzien had enough interest around the league that the Pack would need to make a serious play on him (commitment to give him the back-up job) to keep him.

Flynn has been in the league long enough and played enough now that, for him to make the mistakes he makes on reads, can not be blamed on experience any more. There are 3 or 4 times every game that he has monumental breakdowns. I will never forget against Dallas, the Cowgirls gave away a blitz early. Flynn was looking right at the blitzer... didn't move protection that way....didn't throw that way to the open space... he literally dropped back, curled up...and got sacked by the guy!!! That's one of those times I would love to be able to ask him.."OK, what in gods name were you thinking here?" ... they showed Rodgers on the sideline after that play and he had this look like ..."Really?, Are you kidding me"?

I don't know if those mistakes are offset enough by the plays he does make. I just think he is who he is and that's not a very consistantly servicable QB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought there was talk that Tolzien had enough interest around the league that the Pack would need to make a serious play on him (commitment to give him the back-up job) to keep him.

Tolzien is under contract for next season. You really have these things figures out.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien is under contract for next season. You really have these things figures out.

lol ... I must admit... the Packer's back up QB contract situation is not something first on my mind.

Good job captain! Tolzien is under contract for next season. You-are-on-it!

A little stung are ya? lol

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't worry, it wasn't that important in 2013.

Nope... I agree that it's very important that the Packers take it seriously. It will in fact be very interesting to see what they do withthe back-up situation.

...but...unlike you....I don't lose sleep over what Ted Thompson does with any contracts, much less the back-up QB contracts.

Having said that... if they put him on the practice squad, they still can lose him even with the contract he signed, correct? He can still get signed off the practice squad, correct? I'm sure you know the answer either way...being the world class GM you are. Maybe you should drop Ted a line to let him know.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody saw how this team sunk like the Titanic when Godgers went out.
Tolzien was one of the guys who crashed and sunk.

Flynn already has had his chances to start anywhere and he's a proven failure.
That's all good for us because we'll keep both of those guys without worry of anyone stealing either.

Tolzien may or may not have a bright future. I would say 98% no on that so no worry about him either way.
He reminds me of a quicker version of Randy Wright.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to see a competition between between Flynn and Tolzien. IMO Tolzien's arm strength gives him an important advantage in McCarthy's offense. I will be very interested to see how he does after an off season in the playbook and in McCarthy's QB school: He has the reputation of being very dedicated and smart. I wouldn't invite Wallace to camp but would bring in an undrafted FA QB.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming that we head into camp with three QBs and probably an UDFA, for those thinking that Flynn sucks....who are the other options?

I agree that Flynn doesn't have starter qualities, but was Doug Pederson really some stud QB. I'd think that most teams expect a backup to come in and win at least half of the games. Heck, some teams wish that their starter could do that. I wonder if our expectations are a bit high for the backup spot. Certainly an unexperienced combination of Wallace and Tolzien was a mistake, but Flynn and Tolzien now have experience and should be capable of winning some games in Rodgers' absence next season, if needed.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn works in Green Bay as a back-up, if no where else. Tolzein had some nice stats but didn't win and has to change that 1 to 5 td to int. ratio. It's tough to get better back-ups in a situation where the guy knows he has no chance to start and little opportunity to play with Rodgers there. The Packers are still in better shape here now than at this time a year ago when the options were Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Flynn works in Green Bay as a back-up, if no where else. Tolzein had some nice stats but didn't win and has to change that 1 to 5 td to int. ratio. It's tough to get better back-ups in a situation where the guy knows he has no chance to start and little opportunity to play with Rodgers there. The Packers are still in better shape here now than at this time a year ago when the options were Graham Harrell and B.J. Coleman.

agreed....and like el guapo said, they should be better tested and ready. bottom line... the pack is burdened with one of the best qbs in the nfl...hence...one of the biggest qb contracts in the nfl...so...there's no way we're going to spend a ton on a better more proven back-up qb. so we might as well roll with these guys. heck, we just won the division yet again even with rodgers down for half the year.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Make Rodgers starter and keep it that way for a while, I think we have the highest chances of winning with Rodgers as starting QB.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Why should Flynn sign for the vet minimum? If he is good enough to play when Rodgers goes down then he should be good enough to make more than minimum. As a backup, I am sure some other team will offer more than minimum.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should Flynn sign for the vet minimum? If he is good enough to play when Rodgers goes down then he should be good enough to make more than minimum. As a backup, I am sure some other team will offer more than minimum.
Vikings ?:D

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
keep Flynn and Tolzin ..... Then Draft Quinn Kahler next year .... let him learn..then replace Rodgers in 5 years....

Defense92

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that many of us have had the necessary time to get over the QB problems in Green Bay. They've been well documented so I won't go into a review. My question is where do you all see us going from here? Obviously Rodgers is the starter. There are three guys behind him: Flynn, Tolzien, and Wallace. Flynn and Wallace are FAs.

My thinking is that resigning Flynn for the veteran minimum is as good or better than bringing in somebody else's backup into our system. Flynn can win games for us, we've seen that. I like Tolzien as a development QB to eventually be the backup.

What do you think?

I agree. Rather than bringing in another backup from another system, keep Flynn who is comfortable and can succeed in this system to back up Rodgers. Keep Tolzien to develop and cut Wallace.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts