Packers Promote FB Miree, Release LB White

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers Tuesday promoted fullback Brandon Miree from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and released linebacker Tracy White. Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations, made the announcement.

Miree (my-REE), a 6-foot, 236-pound player in his second year out of Pittsburgh, had joined the team's practice squad Sept. 4. Miree will wear No. 40.

A seventh-round selection by Denver in 2004, he spent his first season on the Broncos' injured reserve. Miree spent all of 2005 on Denver's practice squad and was released in the team's final roster reduction following 2006 training camp.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Does this mean they are unhappy with White or Henderson?

White got caught in a draft numbers game and Henderson's skills have been rapidly declining. I hope Miree can be an adequate FB, as our running game is showing, we really need one.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe this weird little "tight-end-as-fullback" experiment is coming to an end. I wonder if this guy is any better than Vonta Leach, who they let go a couple weeks ago. Doesn't seem likely, considering that he was on the practice squad. Another odd move by Thompson.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was evident leach wasnt gonna be the FB in green bay.

Maybe this guy will be (not likely), but you have to look at people.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I wanted Manning kept over White. White really isn't needed by the team but having somone back up Henderson besides David Martin is more important.

I'm starting to admire the way Tory Humphrey has been sticking on the roster. An inactive 4th TE who has survived several roster moves. He may get his 4th "game" check this week. Good job Tory.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Maybe this weird little "tight-end-as-fullback" experiment is coming to an end. I wonder if this guy is any better than Vonta Leach, who they let go a couple weeks ago. Doesn't seem likely, considering that he was on the practice squad. Another odd move by Thompson.

It doesn't make sense to me either. Then again, I am not surprised by anything at this point. We have so many players just clinging on to the roster and they let Leach go who actually played and quite well at that.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, so does David Martin......oh wait, he stinks.

Vonta was the best blocking FB on our roster, thats what FB's do, not catch balls more than 1-2 times a game. If you want to talk about drops there are plenty of WR on this roster who sure the hell have thier fair share.

Another Sub Par rushing game for the Pack. Obviously Ted thinks he needs a FB on the roster other than Willy. To bad he wasn't smart enough to figure it out 2 weeks ago when he let the best one we had walk.

Funny you don't use the "he's young" excuse for former Packers like you do for current ones. Actually, it's par for the course

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyle why are you so in love with Vonta Leach he was our back up FB yes i understand he may have been the best blocker but why are you like in love with him. When ever something happens with our FB's you go back to Vonta.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in love with him, but he was our best FB. I love Willy but he has been going downhill for the better part of 2 years. Vonta had surpassed him, and it was mentioned by many people other than me.

I love FB's. I played FB for the better part of 3 years. They are the most hard-nosed guys on the team and never get the credit they deserve. Vonta had a nice showing week 1 in Chicago. He looked like he was making huge strides. Then he was released while roster clingers like Martin were kept around.

On to of that, I like to see who knows excatly what the FB is intended to do. I laugh when I hear "he can't catch". That is just stupid. Lorenzo Neal can't catch either but he is pretty damn solid.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when TT cuts someone, he is the best player ever (according to pyle)

I've never seen so much hubub over a mediocre backup FB. he wasnt going to be our fullback.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see William Henderson be great again I really would, I like him a lot but he is getting older and skills as everyone else said declining, hopefully maybe this year or the next he can maybe rush and receive a little more to the extent of surprising some of us.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
when TT cuts someone, he is the best player ever (according to pyle)

I've never seen so much hubub over a mediocre backup FB. he wasnt going to be our fullback.

Hubub over mediocre players? Isn't that what this message board is about? If we can't hubub over mediocre players we would be left strictly talking about Brett Favre, Driver, Harris, and Barnett.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miree was a Crimson Tider for a brief stint. He was behind a guy, ohh what's his name, Shaun Alexander. Also riding pine behind Santonio Beard, Ahmaad Galloway, and Shaud Williams before he transferred to Pittsburgh. Quite a fast runner for his size, and obviously he has RB moves even though he's listed as a FB in the NFL. I'm assuming he'll be used as a nice change of pace back/bruiser if the running game is stalling.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I'm not in love with him, but he was our best FB. I love Willy but he has been going downhill for the better part of 2 years. Vonta had surpassed him, and it was mentioned by many people other than me.

I love FB's. I played FB for the better part of 3 years. They are the most hard-nosed guys on the team and never get the credit they deserve. Vonta had a nice showing week 1 in Chicago. He looked like he was making huge strides. Then he was released while roster clingers like Martin were kept around.

On to of that, I like to see who knows excatly what the FB is intended to do. I laugh when I hear "he can't catch". That is just stupid. Lorenzo Neal can't catch either but he is pretty damn solid.

Heh. Agree with you about fullbacks. Never met a fullback I didn't like. They're some of the most humble people you'll ever meet, and yes, very underappreciated.

Back to the Packers, weren't we trying to convert Gado to a fullback? What happened to that? It's kind of a shame we traded him because I wonder if he could have been a decent fullback. I know his rushing skills in pre-season and the first game left much to be desired, but did we even give him a chance at being a fullback?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was worked out at fullback and didnt impress ....

Gado didnt impress in the zone scheme as a running back or a full back.... i loved the guy but not enough to keep him on and deny a possible trade for a guy who might be better for us.

Looks like this miree kid will be the starter before too long. Coaches are really impressed with his natural ability... ill post the article soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts