Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Because people are entitled to opinions ? I read it that way and commented, I didn`t dump on anybody. Sorry if came across that way, but I don`t believe AR is the god some see him as. There will be a time we lose him.

I did notice that you're spelling defense with a "s", Bill.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Found this interesting. Looked at PFF player rankings and the Packers only had 1 base 3-4 starter who ranked below average.
Elite - none
High quality - 2 -Clark and Daniels
Above average - 4 - Perry, Clay, Martinez, and Ryan
Average - 4 - Dix, Burnett, Randall, Lowry
Below Average - 1 - House

The biggest issue seemed to be depth. Brooks was the only backup above poor. This team needs more depth. This team needs top end talent. This team needs a defense that can make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. Even when guys were healthy capers couldn't do that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I did notice that you're spelling defense with a "s", Bill.

Screw you with a capital "S" :D. That`s how you damn Yankies spell it so it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"One NFL source said McCarthy was extremely impressed with cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt’s interview for the defensive coordinator job, but he wanted someone with experience as a coordinator. That would explain McCarthy’s decision to bring Whitt back and give him a promotion and new title. While he’s expected to still coach the cornerbacks, Whitt will have added responsibilities as the Packers look to improve on their 23rd-ranked pass defense and increase their interception numbers from 11 in 2017, tied for 20th in the league."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One NFL Fan reports that he hasn't been impressed with any of the players that Whitt has worked with except maybe Shields and Tramon....let's hope that was mostly due to TT and Dom.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I was thinking I probably need my tail end kicked for unleashing that sorry excuse for a response...but hey, you had my back against the wall man. I was desperate and took the easy way out. :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, seems strange, doesn't it?

Considering all the problems the Packers have had with CB's, despite the draft picks, yes.

Can't blame Whitt for losing Shields though and had Shield remained healthy, our issues at the position might not be so bad. TT might have given him a couple of bad lemons with Rollins and Randall. Maybe the Packers like that he seems to be getting through to Randall?

I know far less about Whitt than the people hiring him, so guess I have to trust he is as good as they are saying and if he wasn't, now would have been the time they got rid of him, as well as not interviewed him for the DC job.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My initial thought is clean house, because everyone who's been there is part of the problem, not the solution. But I'll defer to the coaches and players on Whitt. Maybe a case of a good coach stuck in a bad situation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My initial thought is clean house, because everyone who's been there is part of the problem, not the solution. But I'll defer to the coaches and players on Whitt. Maybe a case of a good coach stuck in a bad situation.

Some said the same about Capers ;)

swampthing69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure what to think about the Pettine hire. On one hand, I’m ecstatic that Capers is gone. But everything I’ve read talks about Pettine having a complex and varied scheme, something Capers was known for. That approach didn’t work before. Not to say it won’t work under a different coach, but it makes me a bit nervous.

That said, I felt like any DC that could get these guys to be able to line up properly with 11 guys on the field and not have to break out the chemistry set and refer to the farmers almanac and Mayan calendar plus refer to the periodic table to know who to cover, this defense probably would be ok. Not great, but ok.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GB is somehow drafting dumber players than everyone else. Bitbfor whatever reason his schemes weren't being conveyed well, taught well, or didn't play to strengths. Probably a combination of all of the above plus some.

I think we have guys with enough intelligence to learn and nfl defense.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GB is somehow drafting dumber players than everyone else. Bitbfor whatever reason his schemes weren't being conveyed well, taught well, or didn't play to strengths. Probably a combination of all of the above plus some.

I think we have guys with enough intelligence to learn and nfl defense.

You would hope so. But to date , their performance leaves it up for debate.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"One NFL source said McCarthy was extremely impressed with cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt’s interview for the defensive coordinator job, but he wanted someone with experience as a coordinator. That would explain McCarthy’s decision to bring Whitt back and give him a promotion and new title. While he’s expected to still coach the cornerbacks, Whitt will have added responsibilities as the Packers look to improve on their 23rd-ranked pass defense and increase their interception numbers from 11 in 2017, tied for 20th in the league."
I've listened to Joe Whitt press conferences and he talks a good game but his secondary is a total fail, IMO. Joe Whitt needs to go.

swampthing69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've listened to Joe Whitt press conferences and he talks a good game but his secondary is a total fail, IMO. Joe Whitt needs to go.

He seemed like a rising star years ago with the success stories of shields and Williams, but there hasn’t been anyone since those two.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I was thinking I probably need my tail end kicked for unleashing that sorry excuse for a response...but hey, you had my back against the wall man. I was desperate and took the easy way out. :whistling:

THAT you agree with...everything else, you want to argue over. Are you a difficult person when not in front of a keyboard?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But everything I’ve read talks about Pettine having a complex and varied scheme, something Capers was known for. That approach didn’t work before.

Jim Leonhard, who played under Pettine for both the Jets and Bills, addressed that issue. He said Pettine is flexible and will go more complex with a veteran defense (Jets) or less complex with a less experienced defense (Bills).

I'm feeling better and better about Pettine. I picture him on Ron Jaworski-like video benders looking at the talent he has and thinking about how he can fully unleash it.

Reaction score
There was an article I came across comparing Minnesota's Defense to Green Bay's by comparing the rounds players were selected in and claiming GB missed talent at nearly every level. But did we miss that bad or did Minnesota also have better choices?
2017 Minnesota D consists of: 2017 Green Bay D:
1ST ROUND:

5th pick overall 21st pick overall
9th pick overall 26th pick overall
11th pick " 27th pick "
25th pick " 28th pick "
29th pick " 30th pick "

2ND ROUND:

45th pick overall 33nd pick overall

46th "

3RD ROUND:

88th pick overall
71st pick overall

4TH ROUND:

100th pick overall 129th pick overall
UDFA 131st "
UDFA 132nd "
137th "
If you gave me a choice of which side I got for the draft I think I'm pretty clear I'm taking the one with 3 picks in the top 11

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There was an article I came across comparing Minnesota's Defense to Green Bay's by comparing the rounds players were selected in and claiming GB missed talent at nearly every level. But did we miss that bad or did Minnesota also have better choices?
2017 Minnesota D consists of: 2017 Green Bay D:
1ST ROUND:

5th pick overall 21st pick overall
9th pick overall 26th pick overall
11th pick " 27th pick "
25th pick " 28th pick "
29th pick " 30th pick "

2ND ROUND:

45th pick overall 33nd pick overall

46th "

3RD ROUND:

88th pick overall
71st pick overall

4TH ROUND:

100th pick overall 129th pick overall
UDFA 131st "
UDFA 132nd "
137th "
If you gave me a choice of which side I got for the draft I think I'm pretty clear I'm taking the one with 3 picks in the top 11

Besides the #9 pick (Anthony Barr), there isn't a tremendous difference. The "5th pick" you list, I can't figure out who it is, since the Vikings haven't had a #5 pick in a long time. They had a #4 but that was spent on T Matt Kalil who is now a Panther.

A few starters and backups on the Vikings aren't original draft picks. I would just say they do it better....draft and coaching, when it comes to their defense.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OldSchool - do you have a link to the article, or can you explain a little deeper? As noted, there wasn't a 5th overall for the Vikes, and that in itself would change the argument significantly. Also, there are 11 players listed for each team - schemes dictate that there are really more than 11 'starters' on a defense. Even so, are these the draft positions for the preferred starters or those who were active (i.e., not injured) as a particular point in time? What about really good draft position that didn't pan out (Raji, Worthy)? Need a lot more info before investing any time in evaluation.

Members online

Latest posts