Packers hire Mike Pettine, defensive coordinator

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant wait till people start *****ing and moaning if he has a bad game. The question is will his Fire thread be as long as Capers?

I like the hire he has continued success.

I am surprised Dom Capers hasnt had anyone hire him yet.
He can be our d line coach.. lol

Reaction score
Pettine has done a pretty good job as a defensive coordinator as well as one that side of the ball while being head coach therefore I'm actually fine with the Packers hiring him as DC.

While the combined record of his teams isn't impressive at 50-62 (.446) the quarterbacks he had to work with should definitely be considered:

Mark Sanchez, Greg McElroy, Tim Tebow, EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Josh McCown and Austin Davis

I'm optimistic he will be capable of fielding a defense good enough to be successful with Rodgers throwing the ball.
We all mention often about how a great Defense can carry an Offense, but good point that the Offensive performance can also certainly make its own Defense look better or worse than it really is depending.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
And just exactly who the hell do you think you are, pray tell?

If you don't understand the amount of work that goes into head coaching and fail to understand the fact that there simply aren't enough hours in the day to do both jobs, that's on you. Why the hell do you think coordinator positions even exist?

Sooo I take it you weren't deliberately trying to act clueless??.....

You wouldn't understand who I am, too many layers of wisdom to go through in one message board post in one night....again sorry to deliver the bad news to you.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sooo I take it you weren't deliberately trying to act clueless??.....

You wouldn't understand who I am, too many layers of wisdom to go through in one message board post in one night....again sorry to deliver the bad news to you.
Oh, I'm pretty sure I understand exactly who/what you are. Feel free to make whatever snide comment you wish. I won't be seeing anymore of your nonsense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure if posted

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/l...cle_7ebec9b9-5bb2-5515-bd9a-02f730ee07fc.html

Jim Leonhard played 10 NFL seasons. Six of them, he spent with new Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine

“To me, two words come to my mind when I think of him: Flexibility — his system will be flexible to find the most talented playmakers and the matchups week-in and week-out. And then creativity — to be able to put those guys in position to make plays on a consistent basis.”

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe. Why didn’t McCarthy get rid of Capers?
IMO, that has been the biggest blackmark on MM's Packer resume. While I understand some of MM's and the Packers rationale for hanging on to Capers too long, MM should have pulled the trigger earlier.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do like the signing them ranks are good and proven stat record for it.. and personal with the jets wasn’t the greatest on paper.. he failed on the browns as a head coach but still had that top ten defense with them too.. also with him being around Seattle and he really gets the best out of the secondary.. I’m gonna call this now.. some way Richard Sherman will be here next season... optimistic maybe but it’s not way far fetched if he is released.. in fact if he is released he will be on this team.. just my way early prediction.. take it for what it’s worth ha

Don't play with my emotions like that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
from what i've read his D's are complex too. they better dummy that stuff down until they get people that can run it.

This isn't meant to be a knock or across the board thinking on all NFL athletes, but there are times when you aren't going to be dealing with Rocket Scientists as players. So just like at the college level, coaches need to find a way to get through to players like that.

Will be interesting to see how the great Nick Saban will get through to Mekhi Brown, once Saban actually watches the replay of what happened. Brown may be an eventual stud for the Tide, but I wouldn't tolerate a guy like that on my team.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...er-address-tide-lb-browns-actions/1022634001/

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
from what i've read his D's are complex too. they better dummy that stuff down until they get people that can run it.

In the article I read, he clearly expressed a purposeful willingness to pare back complexity or throw more on based on what his group can handle. He also talked about crafting a scheme where advanced players have a lot of complexity on their plate, and others who can't handle that are given simple assignments.

Now that could all be lip service. The proof will be in the pudding. But that's what we have to go on.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't play with my emotions like that.
Hey man I mean think about it tho.. if he gets cut which could possibly happen... lol we need more dreads back in the cornerback spot especially if houses departs... u know who I miss back there!? Mike effing McKenzie ha

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey man I mean think about it tho.. if he gets cut which could possibly happen... lol we need more dreads back in the cornerback spot especially if houses departs... u know who I miss back there!? Mike effing McKenzie ha

Oh I'd probably need to change my shorts if we some how acquire Richard Sherman. I love his attitude and everything about him.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, that has been the biggest blackmark on MM's Packer resume. While I understand some of MM's and the Packers rationale for hanging on to Capers too long, MM should have pulled the trigger earlier.
Agree, both Hayward and Hyde making the Pro Bowl this year and the apparent misuse of guys like Raji, Walden, Rollins/Randall and Matthews/Perry confirms my view that we weren’t getting as much out of the available natural skills and abilities of our guys on defense.

In retrospect, imo drafting Dix at pick 20 was Thompson’s gaffe.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Agree, both Hayward and Hyde making the Pro Bowl this year and the apparent misuse of guys like Raji, Walden, Rollins/Randall and Matthews/Perry confirms my view that we weren’t getting as much out of the available natural skills and abilities of our guys on defense.

In retrospect, imo drafting Dix at pick 20 was Thompson’s gaffe.

Good points, it seems like a lot of the Packer personnel mistakes over the last 5 or so years have been on the defensive side of the ball.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always used KISS, keep it simple stupid, but I suppose KILL plays better in an NFL lockerroom

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you have a front four of Reggie whites and the DC has them all drop into coverage every snap, meanwhile the 4 DBs are all Deion Sanders and they are only used to blitz, the defense is going to suck.

The talent on our defense was not used. Even without adding any new players, we will do much better next season.

I think we are in agreement? LOL

When I said "Personnel mistakes"....I was including players drafted as well as how players were coached/used.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I reread it and understood. I quickly tried to delete my post and you beat me to it.

I'm going to cut you some slack this time, just because of the excellent way in which you have handled the Annual Amish Draft over the last 137 years, but next time, you might find that your buggy is missing a wheel. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts