Packers pre-draft analysis: Offensive linemen

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is an analysis of some offensive linemen that the Packers might be interested in. Hopefully you saw the story on Sam Baker I recently posted. Mike Mayock of NFL Network and Pro Football Weekly now have the Packers selecting him in the 1st round.

Packers pre-draft analysis: Offensive linemen

By BobFox
[email protected]
Posted Apr 20, 2008

Packer Report's Bob Fox continues his Packers pre-draft series by offering a list of offensive linemen that may fit well into Green Bay's zone-blocking scheme

The Green Bay Packers will look for ways to add more quality depth to their offensive line and also try to find a starter perhaps at the guard position in the 2008 draft. Steady veterans Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton return at tackle, but the team wants to know that they will have somebody to step in case of injury, or if age starts to catch up with dynamic duo.

The Packers also seem set at center with Scott Wells, who has been very consistent as a starter, although he has had a few injuries along the way. Right guard Jason Spitz can also play center, but it appears that he may be settling in at the guard position. Left guard Daryn Colledge has his moments where he looks fine but is inconsistent. He may end up at left tackle, the position he played at Boise State.

Overall, as a starting five this unit has been very good in pass protection, but is inconsistent in its zone blocking.

Other players who will compete to start at guard are Allen Barbre and Junius Coston, who seems injury prone. The team also has Tony Moll, who can slide in and play either guard or tackle, but it looks like right tackle is his future. The team also has guard Tony Palmer, who was injured reserve last year but has ability, especially in run blocking.

Tackle Orrin Thompson, guard Tyson Walter and tackle Joe Toledo lead a number of players who will be on the bubble to make the team. Others include guards Ryan Keenan, Cameron Stephenson and Chris Patrick and tackle Cliff Washburn.

Overall it looks like the Packers have plenty of depth, but the age of their two starting tackles and the inconsistent play at the guard position make it very possible that the Packers will try and improve the offensive line in the draft.

T/G Sam Baker (USC) Round possibly selected - 1st or 2nd. Baker (6-5, 305) is one of three possibilities from USC, where the Trojans run the zone-blocking scheme. Baker was a three-time All-American that gave up one sack in 49 starts. Baker also has the versatility to play guard. He is very smart and he has helped the Trojans run the ball very effectively over his four-year starting career. Ted Thompson was at the USC pro day in late March.

T/G Drew Radovich (USC)
Round possibly selected - 4th or 5th. Radovich has the abilty to play either guard or tackle. Radovich (6-4, 302) plays whistle to whistle and is always hustling. Very tough, but needs to get stronger. Radovich sometimes doesn't look real pretty, but he always seems to get the job done. I'm sure Thompson watched him closely on pro day at USC as well.

G Chilo Rachal (USC)
Round possibly selected - 2nd or 3rd. Like Radovich, Rachal (6-5, 315) started the last two years for the Trojans. He has a wide body and is very powerful. Very tough and likes to finish his blocks. Rachal has the ability to switch off well when teams use stunts or blitzes.

G Donald Thomas (Connecticut)
Round possibly selected - 4th or 5th. Director of College Scouting John Dorsey went to the Connecticut pro day probably to check out Thomas (6-4, 295). Thomas is somewhat raw but through good coaching can be very effective in the offensive system that the Packers run. He very fast for his size and is very good in space.

T Duane Brown (Virginia Tech)
Round possibly selected - 3rd or 4th. Brown (6-4, 314) is like Tony Moll of the Packers, as he converted from TE to OT. Brown is very athletic and showed he had promise in the East-West Shrine game. He did have problems with consistency in college, but through good coaching, he can correct those flaws.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I'd like to see us try and get Either Greco from Toledo or Legursky from Marshall in the 2nd-5th Rounds

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what I've read about Chilo Rachal and Roy Shuening. Either of them would be a great pick with our later 2nd or our 3rd.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think drafting Olinemen is where this team is at anymore. They did that, mixed it with some vets, and it's go time. I doubt there would be any immediate starters from pick #30 on.

Also, when you read the title of this thread from the main forum, it says "Packers pre-draft ****..."

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's interesting considering that Guards and centers are not often taken in the first round to begin with. So are you suggesting that top round Draft picks at Guard and Center just never ever start their first year if they are picked later than pick #30? That sort of generalization just seems wrong on so many levels.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I don't think drafting Olinemen is where this team is at anymore. They did that, mixed it with some vets, and it's go time. I doubt there would be any immediate starters from pick #30 on.

Also, when you read the title of this thread from the main forum, it says "Packers pre-draft ****..."

Ahhh, nice. Doesn't do that on mine though. Must be my 1900 x 1200 resolution or something.

Members online

Latest posts