Packers Position Groups Best to Worst

12theTruth

Now that 2 of our players are taking a mega chunk of our teams payroll, we're losing players we would normally keep with ease. Losing Jennings definitely has weakened our WR group and this year more than ever before I see so many 1st through 3rd year players up for so much playing time.

Considering the amount Rodgers and Matthews account for of the teams payroll the roster looks pretty darn good.

Thought it'd be interesting to hear from others as to what their view of this years team looked like.

My thoughts

Best to Worst

1. CB's Hyde, Hayward, Shields, and if Tramon were to get healthy Watch out!

2. DL Funny how a unit can go from pretty bad last year to this good. Two big additions
Jolly and Datone Jones :)
3. WR Our top 3 along with a pretty decent Boykin and a WR in a TE's body Finley will keep
on rollin this season
4. RB Lacy is the real deal and Harris makes a great compliment. Significant improvement
in this area

5. QB All hail to the best QB and player in the league. We're a 6-10 team at best with any of our current
backups on the roster.
6. TE Each TE has different strengths behind Finley. Taylor is a special teams stalwart, Quarless a beast
of a blocker and Williams is a nifty route runner who drops too many passes. Very ordinary behind
Finley.
7. S Burnett has steadily improved his overall game but the rest of the unit is unproven and his young
counterparts have a ways to go to make this area a strength.

8. Special Teams Masthay is terrific. Crosby-- meh. Hyde looks to be a good talent at PR. Coverage units
were a strength last year and should continue in 2013.

9. Offensive Line Better than last season because of Lacy even with loss of Bulaga. I predict respectability in
pass protection and more struggles in 3rd or 4th and short.

10. Linebackers Sorry Clay, you are a GREAT player its just that you have much mediocrity surrounding
you. AJ Hawk, Francois, and Jones aren't going to scare to many offensive coordinators
around the league.

Just my two cents worth.

Last edited by a moderator:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with some of this...offensive line should be at the bottom IMO, our linebackers are not that bad. Clay is a star and while the other guys are pretty average, that translates to better than the worst position on the team.

I wouldn't have our D-line quite so high yet, although they look good on paper.

There's no way I could possibly justify saying QB is our 5th best position on the team with the best QB in the NFL on the team. Backups ideally don't even see the field, there's no way they carry that much weight to bump them down to #5. It's the #1 position on the team, and #10 if Rodgers was ever out.

Although, there's really not a lot of certainty in what we would have in our backups if Rodgers were to go down to say they would be 6-10 at best. Awfully tough to evaluate backup QB's until they actually get regular season time (hopefully not). Frankly I doubt most of us really have any idea how our backups compare to most other backup QB's around the league. There are only a very, very small number of teams carrying a proven quality backup QB. Shaun Hill of the Lions comes to mind.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good list but I agree with adambr2. It was the same thought that I had about QB. It's a one man unit and it's #1. The receivers are are second best unit. Say what you want but Jennings was allowed to walk because we have enough depth and talent that we didn't need to pay his price. James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Randall Cobb are a great trio and Boykins will contribute even more this season.

So I'd probably go:
1. QB
2. WR
3. CB
4. TE - Finley puts the group on the map and some of the young guys are good blockers
5. DL - Hopefully improving but Pickett, Raji, Daniels, and Jolly are a pretty good group
6. S - Burnett is really taking over Collins' void and Jennings is looking good
7. ST - Masthay great, Crosby below average, but the rest of the units have been pretty good at limiting returns and actually scoring points on fakes
8. LB - Matthews, then down to Hawk, then not much
9. OL - Sitton and EDS are very solid, the rest is a wait-and-see
10. RB - Nothing proven yet. Still our worst unit until we start Week 1 but there is certainly signs of life in Lacy

OP
OP

12theTruth

Yeh after reading the replies so far I realize I'm doing a little bit of projecting especially with the RB. QB I should have had higher but there are some position groups which are more solid IMO top to bottom when considering depth. If Flynn had still been here I would have with no hesitation putting the QB group at #1.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. My thought is that the QB backups almost never make it into the game so as a group, one man truly represents everything...but I definitely see your point and thought about the flip side of the coin.

I did try to stay away from the predicting based on draft potential and or preliminary training camp results, but it would be interesting to predict where we think each group will rank by the end of the season.

OP
OP

12theTruth

When you do focus on the group aspect this not having a competent QB behind Rodgers is why I rated the overall positional group as low as I did. HRE made a salient point about the loss of Philbin and the struggles to develop a QB behind Rodgers in another thread.

Ted should pick up a serviceable QB off waivers or possibly swing a trade for one as a short term fix for 2013. Next year they should invest a higher draft pick (in the neighborhood of Rounds 3-5) in hopes of developing a competent backup.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. QB, depth 10
2. WR, depth 5
3. CB, depth 3
4. TE, depth 7
5. DL , depth 1
6. S, depth 2
7. ST, Masthay good, Missin bad
8. LB, depth 8
9. OL, depth 9
10. RB, depth 4

OP
OP

12theTruth

1. QB, depth 10
2. WR, depth 5
3. CB, depth 3
4. TE, depth 7
5. DL , depth 1
6. S, depth 2
7. ST, Masthay good, Missin bad
8. LB, depth 8
9. OL, depth 9
10. RB, depth 4

Nice post the only part I disagree with to a large degree with is depth at safety. I also like how you separated the depth portion out like you did.

OP
OP

12theTruth

If I could revise my list this is what it would look like . I feel like I screwed the pooch with the LB position last time a bit. LOL

Best to Worst

1. QB Depth 10
2. CB Depth 1
3. WR Depth 3
4. DL Depth 2
5. TE Depth 5
6. LB Depth 7 Lots of 1st and 2nd year players on depth chart. Inside backers fail to inspire.
7. RB Depth 8 Lacy's the real deal. Some ?'s But if Starks gets healthy this unit could surprise.
8. S Depth 6
9. Special Teams Depth 4 Cobb is emergency QB and Hyde is intriguing returner candidate. Ross still option
10. OL Depth 9 The depth takes a hit with Tretter, Bulaga, and Sherrod all dinged. Even with those guys this unit wouldn't be remotely close to a strength.

Members online

Latest posts