Packers Place Franchise Tag On DT Williams, Release TE Frank

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
linky:

The Green Bay Packers have designated defensive tackle Corey Williams as their franchise player and released tight end Bubba Franks. The transactions were announced Wednesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

As the Packers' franchise player, Williams has a one-year contract tender offer at the defensive tackle franchise number set by the NFL. The Packers maintain a right of first refusal to match any team's offer received by Williams.

Williams played in all 16 games, including nine starts, in 2007 and set career highs with 51 tackles and 32 solo stops. He tied his career high with seven sacks.

"Corey is a good young football player and has been a consistent performer for our team," said Thompson.

Franks spent eight seasons with Green Bay and was one of the most productive tight ends in franchise history.

Franks played in 114 games for the Packers and made 94 starts. A first-round draft choice in 2000, he totaled 256 catches and 2,300 career receiving yards. His 32 touchdown receptions are tied for 10th on the franchise's all-time list.

"We thank Bubba for everything he has given to our franchise," said Thompson. "He was a productive player on the field, a good teammate in the locker room and a fine representative of the Packers in the Green Bay community."

-----------------------

I didn't expect this to happen, but am happy it did.

Bubba had a good bounceback year last year, but got hurt, and he's been overpaid for a while now. Good time to cut loose. And franchising Williams doesn't hurt things.

Offseason time, baby!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will miss Bubba. He was over paid (or under produced) but I like him and I am sorry that he is gone.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what team picks him up.

I would guess the Vikings. They like to take what we leave behind.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers Place Franchise Tag On DT Williams, Release TE F

i wish tt drafted greg olsen instead of harrell

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

i wish tt drafted greg olsen instead of harrell

Somehow knew you would say that

But back ON TOPIC....

If he isnt willing to take a cut I say buh--bye..He hasnt done anything in the last 2 years anyways

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good luck Bubba. Thank god the site is back up.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good luck Bubba. Thank god the site is back up.

me too!

So do we draft a TE backup? No name FA pickup?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Thompson franchised Corey Williams. I didn't think he was worth that much to this team. But he's a good player, so I'm not disappointed.

I feel bad for Bubba. He played hard for us, and would still be good if it wasn't for the injuries.

But mostly I'm just glad that the Packer Forum is finally up and running again. Thanks, Ryan!

rkoRKOrko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am sad to see Bubba go, it was his time with the emergence of Lee. I am happy to see them franchise Williams though, he should look to have a great 2008 after a solid 07 season.

Reaction score

I did not expect Williams to be franchised, but I have no problem with it. He is a solid player for us, one that isn't even in his prime yet. I think it's fair to say Williams would have been someone who received quite a bit of interest if he became a free agent.

So do we draft a TE backup? No name FA pickup?

I have read articles that say the Packers' coaches are high on TE Troy Humphrey. So it isn't as if we don't have anyone to back-up Lee (or be a candidate to back-up Lee).

I'd expect maybe a late second day pick spent on TE, based on what I've read this TE class is deeper than normal, but has players that are one-dimensional.

Another possibility might be resigning Ryan Krause, and having him serve as our third TE. But I do expect Thompson to bring in a player or two at the TE position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I still Bubba might be re-signed to the packers.

Anyone think that's an option?

Maybe but some one else mentioned that the way the press release came out sure doesnt seem like it...

Maybe they tried to get him to take a cut and he said no way...

2006 was a bad year for him and last year it LOOKED like he had the drops figured out...But maybe that injury he had is more then whatis being talked about

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Usually, teams will ask a player to take a pay cut or they will just cut them out right. The chances of Bubba being willing to take a paycut considering his holdout in '05 before he signed his contract were probably slim to none. The move wasn't all that shocking in all honesty. The guy was due a 500K roster bonus in early March and a 3 million dollar base salary in '08, and his production over the past couple of years just didn't justify it.

Only way I see him signing with the Packers is if there is little interest in him in the on the open market and he would sign a low-end one or two year deal with the Packers. I'd have to think he'll sign elsewhere though, because while he may not be the TE he used to be early in his career, he is a decent blocker and that does have some value to teams who use two TE sets, so I'd have to think he'll find work somewhere.

As far as Corey Williams goes, I applaud TT for pulling the trigger on franchising him. I called for it over the past couple of weeks, and am glad it finally happened. We can still sign him to a long-term contract since his chances of negotiating with another team are slim since they'd have to give up two first rounders to sign him. At worst, we get him for another year and see what Harrell and Jolly can do and then let him Williams fall to FA in '09 if both Harrell and Jolly live up to expectations.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

DoddPower said:

Usually, teams will ask a player to take a pay cut or they will just cut them out right. The chances of Bubba being willing to take a paycut considering his holdout in '05 before he signed his contract were probably slim to none. The move wasn't all that shocking in all honesty. The guy was due a 500K roster bonus in early March and a 3 million dollar base salary in '08, and his production over the past couple of years just didn't justify it.

Only way I see him signing with the Packers is if there is little interest in him in the on the open market and he would sign a low-end one or two year deal with the Packers. I'd have to think he'll sign elsewhere though, because while he may not be the TE he used to be early in his career, he is a decent blocker and that does have some value to teams who use two TE sets, so I'd have to think he'll find work somewhere.

As far as Corey Williams goes, I applaud TT for pulling the trigger on franchising him. I called for it over the past couple of weeks, and am glad it finally happened. We can still sign him to a long-term contract since his chances of negotiating with another team are slim since they'd have to give up two first rounders to sign him. At worst, we get him for another year and see what Harrell and Jolly can do and then let him Williams fall to FA in '09 if both Harrell and Jolly live up to expectations.

Yeah, I didn't think it was probable, but I still would like to see him back. He is a good blocker.

But I think you're right. Some team out there will want him, and I bet he'll get a decent deal, all things considered.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree Dodd......Bubba was a good blocker. He seemed to be regaining some of his old form pass catching wise too. I really liked the guy. But i think they didn't want to pay him his big pay he had coming this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this puts Fred Davis in play or a guy like John Carlson in round 2.

Cutting Bubba was probably the right move. Mixed feelings because had he not got hurt, I think he may of been a bigger factor this season. His play against Seattle where he stretched for the 1st down was fantastic in my opinion and I'd show it to any young player if you're talking about giving that extra effort.

Franchising Corey Williams kind of came out of no where. I was expecting he'd walk in free agency. To me this move indicates that maybe Jolley is not as healthy as we're hoping or maybe Harrell is not ready to be a starter. None the less I don't mind the move. 14 sacks in two years for a DT is great. I just hope Williams can continue that pace and stays healthy. 1 year thing isn't bad either.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this puts Fred Davis in play or a guy like John Carlson in round 2.

Cutting Bubba was probably the right move. Mixed feelings because had he not got hurt, I think he may of been a bigger factor this season. His play against Seattle where he stretched for the 1st down was fantastic in my opinion and I'd show it to any young player if you're talking about giving that extra effort.

Franchising Corey Williams kind of came out of no where. I was expecting he'd walk in free agency. To me this move indicates that maybe Jolley is not as healthy as we're hoping or maybe Harrell is not ready to be a starter. None the less I don't mind the move. 14 sacks in two years for a DT is great. I just hope Williams can continue that pace and stays healthy. 1 year thing isn't bad either.

ive got man love for john carlson, not so sure about Davis who is a TINO ( tight end in name only) and is basically a more skilled David Martin.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is apparently a pretty deep draft for TEs, so I could see us going with one to replace Bubba in either the first or second round while taking a CB with the opposite pick.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another great job by TT ... loving this guy more ... good so our d-line is more then perfect ... now to upgrade TE and some depth around the team ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts