Packers pick Dom Capers for the DC position

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Source says Packers pick Dom Capers for the DC position

oomparific said:
I wanted the 3-4 about 4 weeks into the season this year lol... As for Kampman being undersized - as many have already stated, he's not real far off. Also, he has one of the highest motors in the league and faced double teams (if not help from a third and occasionally a 4th blocker) all year. The 3-4 will BEG that our down linemen get double teamed and allow linebackers to flow freely (which is when Hawk is truly at his best).

Also, Pickett is almost the ideal NT for a 3-4, I just wonder about his ability to go every down. However, Jolly should be able to hold his own when he's called on to rest Pickett. Another point in favor of the 3-4 is the fact it cuts an offensive playbook way down. Angles and lanes are drastically altered by the exchange of a down lineman for a linebacker. Our already opportunistic defense could easily thrive with the right schemes.

The one down side is that the 3-4 is traditionally a zone defense and our two best corners are at their best in man coverage. I'm really looking forward to this and the selection truly surprised me. Prior to learning we had picked Capers, I was hoping for Gruden or Rex Ryan (who is going to the Jets)

I really don't like our DT's, I don't think they can take on double teams, which is a must at 3-4. But hey, I don't cheer for a player's success, I cheer for the Green Bay Packers.
And regarding our corners playing best at man coverage, that WAS true. They are getting older, they're not as fast, and in zone they can use they experience to hawk for the ball. Woodson will be even more of a beast, but Harris probably won't be back, and let's face it, he don't have the hips to play at an elite level anymore, and he is too expensive to play nickel. And at zone A.J. will be one of the best in the league, like he was in college.
IF we change to zone, cause like MM said in the press conference, Baltimore plays 3-4 and mostly man coverage...

Packer_Rat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

oomparific wrote
As for Kampman being undersized - as many have already stated, he's not real far off. Also, he has one of the highest motors in the league and faced double teams (if not help from a third and occasionally a 4th blocker) all year.

IMO Kampman will play the rush/LB. Jason Taylor played rush/lb under Capers 06-07 and was NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Kampman and Talor both excelled at DE in the Jim Bates scheme(or lack of) and maybe that translates to rush/lb skill set in a 3-4. Then again i could be all wrong. I'm very interested to see the Blitz Bay Defense.

spartacheese520

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What an offseason this has been! This is the most active offseason under TT. And it's not even the free agency period yet!

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JenningsLongCatch said:
Is Gilbert Brown healthy enough to play?? :) ;)

The gravedigger!

He probably just needs a couple of hamburgers to get ready to play. :)

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eclipse612 said:
JenningsLongCatch said:

The gravedigger!

Oh yeah! Who remembers the Gilbert Burger?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

boisenjm said:
Eclipse612 said:
JenningsLongCatch said:

The gravedigger!

Oh yeah! Who remembers the Gilbert Burger?

Can't say I do, but I'll bet it was an instant heart-attack.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

was a whopper with triple of everything...lettuce, cheese, meat, onions, etc...

Cept no pickles!!

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In a 3-4 the Packers D-line could be, from L to R, Jolly, Pickett & Jenkins. Cole will definitely play a large role but mainly at back-up NT. Harrell is probably going to need another surgery & recovery period so he's a non-factor as of now.

Kampman may have to go back to LB in order to stay in the starting line-up. I'm interested in seeing what Jason Hunter & Jeremy Thompson could do as the hybrid LB/DEs.

I think Barnett may end up as trade bait since he's the smallest of the LBs. The two ILBs in a 3-4 are more responsible in pass coverage than the OLBs so Chillar may end up earning the nod over the "incumbents" Hawk & Barnett due to his better coverage skills. TT may want to keep the younger Hawk & gain whatever draft pick he can in trade for Nick.

I remember a previous Packer experiment with the 3-4 that had mild success but overall was scrapped eventually. Mike Douglass is a name that I remember being an excellent ILB & he was under Starr so I'm thinking it was under Bart's tenure that the 3-4 first appeared with the Green & Gold.

Reaction score

doughsellz said:
In a 3-4 the Packers D-line could be, from L to R, Jolly, Pickett & Jenkins. Cole will definitely play a large role but mainly at back-up NT. Harrell is probably going to need another surgery & recovery period so he's a non-factor as of now.

Kampman may have to go back to LB in order to stay in the starting line-up. I'm interested in seeing what Jason Hunter & Jeremy Thompson could do as the hybrid LB/DEs.

I think Barnett may end up as trade bait since he's the smallest of the LBs. The two ILBs in a 3-4 are more responsible in pass coverage than the OLBs so Chillar may end up earning the nod over the "incumbents" Hawk & Barnett due to his better coverage skills. TT may want to keep the younger Hawk & gain whatever draft pick he can in trade for Nick.

I remember a previous Packer experiment with the 3-4 that had mild success but overall was scrapped eventually. Mike Douglass is a name that I remember being an excellent ILB & he was under Starr so I'm thinking it was under Bart's tenure that the 3-4 first appeared with the Green & Gold.
why would we get rid of barnett hes better then hawk and hes a year older. he had a bad year last year and he even admitted it. He had a year kind of like every one else of defense besides charles and collins. He is the captain of the defense and hes the player i want there. Every pre game he gets the defense fired up.. like every team needs to be! So why get rid of Barnett hes a better coverage guy and pretty much just as good as a tackler on aj. aj cant move so the only way he cn tackle is if they come to him and he just jumps on him.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a shock. a 3-4 in Green Bay? Have we EVER ran a 3-4 scheme before? I seem to recall hearing a stat on ESPN or FOX that said there were only two teams in the NFC that had never used a 3-4 Scheme, and ironically it was the two teams I root for, the Packers and the Redskins.

Is anyone worried about what this may say to the tradition of a 4-3 in Green bay? (Other than me that is)

The Wok

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm more worried about the tradition of winning football games than the tradition of defensive schemes. ;)

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Veretax said:
This is a shock. a 3-4 in Green Bay? Have we EVER ran a 3-4 scheme before? I seem to recall hearing a stat on ESPN or FOX that said there were only two teams in the NFC that had never used a 3-4 Scheme, and ironically it was the two teams I root for, the Packers and the Redskins.

Is anyone worried about what this may say to the tradition of a 4-3 in Green bay? (Other than me that is)

Worried? Absolutely not. As for the 3-4, Dom Capers is real expert on the variations run from this defensive set.

I can't wait for the OTA's to start up and he starts putting together the pieces of an *** kicking D.

catchpatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Veretax said:

Wasn't the Brown/White/Butler defense something of a hybrid, rather than the pure 4-3 the Packers have been using lately? I'm not at all worried about the 4-3 "tradition", becuase it's silly to stick to a tradition for it's own sake when it's not working.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose you have a point I mean we basically took a dump on Tradition with the way the whole NAME Situation went so :/

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Wok said:
I'm more worried about the tradition of winning football games than the tradition of defensive schemes. ;)

Agreed. If the 3-4 wins games I'm all for it. The 4-3 worked for a while, but when you don't have the horses you don't have the horses.

catchpatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JenningsLongCatch said:
The Wok said:

Agreed. If the 3-4 wins games I'm all for it. The 4-3 worked for a while, but when you don't have the horses you don't have the horses.
The trouble is, they don't have the horses for a 3-4, either. I sincerely hope the Packers have some plan for the transition period between now and the time their roster is set to play a real 3-4, because this offense is just too good to let twist in the wind for a year or two while the defense is getting its act together.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

catchpatch said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
The Wok said:

The trouble is, they don't have the horses for a 3-4, either. I sincerely hope the Packers have some plan for the transition period between now and the time their roster is set to play a real 3-4, because this offense is just too good to let twist in the wind for a year or two while the defense is getting its act together.

For them to be this confident about the switch there must be a plan. They need to be confident about a potential free-agent or draft pick to fit in this defense. On the plus side, Baltimore has Suggs and Ray Lewis as free-agents. The Ravens can't franchise both and can't resign both. Maybe they're targeting Suggs, maybe their targeting Peppers, nobody really knows. The only thing that I am confident about is the fact that there is a plan being hatched.

Rodgersfan1985

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3-4 is goona work just fine. Cause whats nice about a 3-4 D is that yes you only have three DL on the line but you can disguise coverages and blitzs way more often I think in a 3-4 rather than a 4-3. And gettin rid of Kampman Would be a just as much of a stupid desicion as when we got rid of KGB. I am really pumped about a 3-4 comin to GB, and lets face it yer good defenses in the league now are 3-4. I think peppers would be the best fit because if you got two DEs that haul *** and can get to the quarterback that would make for one routy defense.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

JenningsLongCatch said:
For them to be this confident about the switch there must be a plan. They need to be confident about a potential free-agent or draft pick to fit in this defense. On the plus side, Baltimore has Suggs and Ray Lewis as free-agents. The Ravens can't franchise both and can't resign both. Maybe they're targeting Suggs, maybe their targeting Peppers, nobody really knows. The only thing that I am confident about is the fact that there is a plan being hatched.

Of course there is a plan. Is it going to be successful? Probably not in '09. The D had enough trouble in a system they were familiar with. Now with new coaches & new schemes to deal with those same players are expected to be better than the '08 effort?

Now with the hire of Trgovac everyone is going to expect TT to be all about signing Julius Peppers, who may be intrigued with the prospect of playing with Kris Jenkins' "little" brother, not to mention his familiarity with his new D-line coach. Would be nice to see a 3-4 with Peppers, Pickett & Jenkins.

I've got a bad feeling about the future of Kampman in GB.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

doughsellz said:
JenningsLongCatch said:

Of course there is a plan. Is it going to be successful? Probably not in '09. The D had enough trouble in a system they were familiar with. Now with new coaches & new schemes to deal with those same players are expected to be better than the '08 effort?

Now with the hire of Trgovac everyone is going to expect TT to be all about signing Julius Peppers, who may be intrigued with the prospect of playing with Kris Jenkins' "little" brother, not to mention his familiarity with his new D-line coach. Would be nice to see a 3-4 with Peppers, Pickett & Jenkins.

I've got a bad feeling about the future of Kampman in GB.

Even with the new scheme, this team is only a few players away from the division title. One good free-agent and one good rookie and the Packers are back ontop the division.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree with that. The Washington Redskins, another team I follow, has been "a few players away" from a Title or Super Bowl, and for ten years they have gotten no closer than the Divisional Round. So I think to win you need a lot more than just a few players. You need players that match the chemistry and scheme we run, and you need luck, luck in terms of turnovers, luck in terms of injuries.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:
I disagree with that. The Washington Redskins, another team I follow, has been "a few players away" from a Title or Super Bowl, and for ten years they have gotten no closer than the Divisional Round. So I think to win you need a lot more than just a few players. You need players that match the chemistry and scheme we run, and you need luck, luck in terms of turnovers, luck in terms of injuries.

Washington has no receivers (Moss and Randel El), no defensive line depth, and a new coach every two years. They've been bringing Cambell along slowly at QB and love to sign aging free-agents.

And remember, the better you are, the luckier you are.

Reaction score
the packers ha 27 sacks this year when Dom capers went to jacksonville they had 30 sacks but then he turned them into a 50 plus sack team . If he could do that for the packers that d be huge. I think we can easily go to the Superbowl. when i look at these teams in the Superbowl these teams don't have great offenses they just have great defenses. The packers this year should have a defense in the top 15s with are offense we should be ranked in the top 10s.. Now that's a well balanced team we should go to the super bowl next year

boisenjm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god said:
the packers ha 27 sacks this year when Dom capers went to jacksonville they had 30 sacks but then he turned them into a 50 plus sack team . If he could do that for the packers that d be huge. I think we can easily go to the Superbowl. when i look at these teams in the Superbowl these teams don't have great offenses they just have great defenses. The packers this year should have a defense in the top 15s with are offense we should be ranked in the top 10s.. Now that's a well balanced team we should go to the super bowl next year

I love your optimism. I don't know the likelihood but why not huh, Miami went from one win to the playoffs and we all know what Arizona did. Let's hope everything clicks for the Pack and a year from now everybody’s talking about the great turnaround and what a good job Dom has done to bring the D together.

Members online

Latest posts