Packers pick #4A Blake Martinez Stanford LB

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/blake-martinez?id=2555161

Bottom Line
Full-time starter over the last two years who plays with the temperament and ruggedness that Stanford wants in the middle of their defense.

Martinez is a muscled-up, throwback linebacker in a league that covets twitch and play speed over throwback traits. His special teams ability and overall tackle production is a big plus, but his draft stock might not match up with his elevated college production due to concerns over his quickness.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Feels more like a depth insurance pick than a high upside guy. Even so we are now better at ILB than we were yesterday and we now have three guys who can atleast hold down the fort there. Maybe grab a tweener in the sixth, someone like Joe Thomas but someone who doesn't suck.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good pick. Was the leader of that Stanford defense. I see him and Ryan being our starting ILB's at some point.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will give us depth. Maybe he can beat out Barrington in a year or two. Maybe he.can play in certain packages if his coverage skills are as advertised.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez reminds me of Kyle Borland from the Badgers. Good tackler and he doesn't let the game come towards him he seeks out the football. Either Barrington or Ryan will be a bench warmer IMO.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a good pick. Stanford LB coaches say that he likes attacking the line and has really heavy hands that can grab and throw people and sheds blocks well. One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of competition for playtime at the LB position.

H

HardRightEdge

I considered putting him on the list because the Packers interviewed him, but I just couldn't get very enthused with the tape. Runs a 4.71. Not exactly the solution many were looking for. Decent value at bottom of the 4th. for needed depth.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited about this pick. This dude is a leader.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I considered putting him on the list because the Packers interviewed him, but I just couldn't get very enthused with the tape. Runs a 4.71. Not exactly the solution many were looking for. Decent value at bottom of the 4th. for needed depth.

He has tape? Can't find anything on youtube save for a horribly grainy and unstable camera recording of a play.

H

HardRightEdge

He has tape? Can't find anything on youtube save for a horribly grainy and unstable camera recording of a play.
I saw it somewhere. Evidently not on youtube. "Not very instinctive" was my takeaway.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this pick totally debunks my theory that the Packers' inside linebacker scout takes unusually long vacations from March 1st through the end of April.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now i'm hoping we take Eric Striker with our 6th rounder........pulease TT, thanks! lol

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm Id like to see some interior OL depth, someone to fight for a backup spot. That part of the roster needs to be a dogfight every offseason.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake is also a film freak on other teams. Hes always jotting down notes in this thick notebook hes compiled over the course of his college career. Its like 12+ pages on every single team hes played and all of their tendencies. This guy has it where it counts, up stairs.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Blake is also a film freak on other teams. Hes always jotting down notes in this thick notebook hes compiled over the course of his college career. Its like 12+ pages on every single team hes played and all of their tendencies. This guy has it where it counts, up stairs.

Seems like a TT kind of guy too. Brains over Brawn. I'm not saying everyone TT picks is a Harvard Grad.....but you kind of get the feeling that it is something TT values.

Members online

Latest posts