Packers Pick #2 - Jason Spriggs Indiana OT

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've posted earlier in this thread, if the coaching staff can clean up some technical issues with Spriggs he should turn into an above average tackle. Don't see him as a guard though.

I don't either, Cap, but nice to know he can legitimately line up there if needed.
I'm big on versatility; Olinemen who can play more than one position, defensive players who can be moved around to create matchup problems for opponents, etc..

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers 2 starting ILBs are Ryan and Barrington. Ryan is a 2nd year player and Barrington will be in his 4th year. Neither is a rookie.

True, the inside linebacker position has been in need of an upgrade for four years running as of now though. If it's true that Thompson tends to draft for two years out it should have been addressed in 2010.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd still like a linebacker, but you know what happens if we go into this season with Guion and Daniels as our Defensive line? With a guy on the upswing in Pennel who's suspended for a while coming in later, he's not going to fill up the tank that much. We needed more than depth in the trenches up front, we needed a player. I think we got one.

and as poor as people think our ILB's are, the rotation and lack of quality back ups and even starter play at the offensive line had a greater impact on our underachieving last year, than any deficit at ILB. While I'd love a stud in the middle, I think we picked up some really good potential at 2 other very important positions.

I don't have much opinion about our 3rd rounder. Seems like a good kid, but i'm sure i've never watched a single game of his and the reports are a bit scattered. I am excited to see what he can do though

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd still like a linebacker, but you know what happens if we go into this season with Guion and Daniels as our Defensive line? With a guy on the upswing in Pennel who's suspended for a while coming in later, he's not going to fill up the tank that much. We needed more than depth in the trenches up front, we needed a player. I think we got one.

and as poor as people think our ILB's are, the rotation and lack of quality back ups and even starter play at the offensive line had a greater impact on our underachieving last year, than any deficit at ILB. While I'd love a stud in the middle, I think we picked up some really good potential at 2 other very important positions.

I agree the Packers needed to address the defensive line this offseason as well. Thompson could have been able to add an impact player at the position in the second round though once all the inside linebackers providing an immediate impact were already gone.

Once again, you keep ignoring that free agency should be the way to go to address positions of need because there's no way to project how the draft will unfold and would allow a team to truly take best players available.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, the inside linebacker position has been in need of an upgrade for four years running as of now though. If it's true that Thompson tends to draft for two years out it should have been addressed in 2010.
Off hand I dont recall the 2010 draft and ILBs. This is the year of lots of DL and OLBs. I expect we add another of each. The point is to add BPA at each pick and not to reduce quality of pick for need.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love these Big Ten big guys! Pick is an A grade! We needed O-Line help and did really well here with Spriggs.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also love this pick. He looked really good backpedaling and moving side to side. Quite possibly a big upgrade on run blocking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Off hand I dont recall the 2010 draft and ILBs. This is the year of lots of DL and OLBs. I expect we add another of each. The point is to add BPA at each pick and not to reduce quality of pick for need.

I highly doubt that not a single inside linebacker was the best player available within the first three rounds in even one of Thompson's 12 drafts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
They should play him at TE this year... Put him in next to Bahk for a 6 man front. Then if play breaks down, throw it up to the big 6'6" 300 pounder, for the dump off pass......
You mean like they tried to do with Peppers a few years back? Tackle eligible is a fairly common call.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean like they tried to do with Peppers a few years back? Tackle eligible is a fairly common call.
I dont remember that. But my whole reason for bringing in the extra tackle is to protect rodgers and help bahk open some holes for the rbs.... The peppers thing was obviously playing off his basketball skills as an offensive weapon.
Spriggs at 6'6" would be a decent weapon as a byproduct of us getting some superior te blocking...

I just find it funny the crap i took for saying we should get a couple 300 pound ots who played basketball in school. Who can make our oline unbeatable, and still have some big targets for dumpoffs.... Now its mentioned, and its nothing new.....

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the same idea when he got drafted and I saw his speed and vertical.jump. if he can still catch maybe he should play some TE. R Rodgers is about the same speed as Springs bUt he can't block.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont remember that. But my whole reason for bringing in the extra tackle is to protect rodgers and help bahk open some holes for the rbs.... The peppers thing was obviously playing off his basketball skills as an offensive weapon.
Spriggs at 6'6" would be a decent weapon as a byproduct of us getting some superior te blocking...

I just find it funny the crap i took for saying we should get a couple 300 pound ots who played basketball in school. Who can make our oline unbeatable, and still have some big targets for dumpoffs.... Now its mentioned, and its nothing new.....

You were talking about incorporating it fully into the offense which is why people jumped on you for it.

Tackle eligible in short yardage and goal line situations is nothing new. That isn't what you were arguing

D

Deleted member 6794

I had the same idea when he got drafted and I saw his speed and vertical.jump. if he can still catch maybe he should play some TE. R Rodgers is about the same speed as Springs bUt he can't block.

While you're right about Spriggs athleticism for an offensive lineman Rodgers is a far more polished route runner and has sure hands.

As others have mentioned it's pretty common to use an OL as an eligible receiver in short yardage situations but there's no reason to fully incorporate it in the playbook.

There's a reason offensive lineman caught a total of only six passes combined in the league last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were talking about incorporating it fully into the offense which is why people jumped on you for it.

Tackle eligible in short yardage and goal line situations is nothing new. That isn't what you were arguing
I also said we should add two extra ots and call them te. That isnt realistic taking it to the extreme... Maybe for the real short yardage situations??? Realistically, Im still talking about incorporating one into a major part of the offense. People concentrate on what we lose by having a 6th olineman(te). Namely a skill player... Not completely i argue, in that a big strong te will always be a decent target for dump offs. But do they fully consider what we gain? Years of trouble trying to protect Rodgers..... Years of trouble getting 1 yard on 3rd and short..... Years!!!! And frickin years!

To take it a step farther. I see the idea as a future trend in the pass first nfl. Back in the day most every team had 4 dlinemen against 5 olinemenNow with hybrid 4-3s and 3-4s sending guys in from every direction. Oline becoming more valuable. I think it makes a lot of sense to take away a speed guy to insure better offense as a whole...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also said we should add two extra ots and call them te. That isnt realistic taking it to the extreme... Maybe for the real short yardage situations??? Realistically, Im still talking about incorporating one into a major part of the offense. People concentrate on what we lose by having a 6th olineman(te). Namely a skill player... Not completely i argue, in that a big strong te will always be a decent target for dump offs. But do they fully consider what we gain? Years of trouble trying to protect Rodgers..... Years of trouble getting 1 yard on 3rd and short..... Years!!!! And frickin years!

To take it a step farther. I see the idea as a future trend in the pass first nfl. Back in the day most every team had 4 dlinemen against 5 olinemenNow with hybrid 4-3s and 3-4s sending guys in from every direction. Oline becoming more valuable. I think it makes a lot of sense to take away a speed guy to insure better offense as a whole...

You really see the future of the pass happy NFL have teams taking out a legit receiving weapon in order to bring in an extra lineman to help protect and catch dumpoffs for short gains when RBs can just stay into chip and still have the ability to run out after and catch an outlet pass and take it a long distance?

Short yardage sure. Tackle eligible is nothing new but to put it mildly what your arguing for is just well...... out there

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really see the future of the pass happy NFL have teams taking out a legit receiving weapon in order to bring in an extra lineman to help protect and catch dumpoffs for short gains when RBs can just stay into chip and still have the ability to run out after and catch an outlet pass and take it a long distance?

Short yardage sure. Tackle eligible is nothing new but to put it mildly what your arguing for is just well...... out there
I think we seen that it doesnt matter how many WRs you have on the field, if they cant get open... Or cant get open in the 3 to 4 seconds the Oline can give the QB.... So say the extra Olineman gives the weakest part of the line help, allowing another second or two for the QB??? That makes the 4 remaining WRs that much more effective, doesnt it?

So whats more important? Having 5 WRs on the field? Or having enough time to actually find an open WR?

Also consider that even with 5 skill players on the field to finish the year. We couldnt get a open reciever to save our life... We could have had 10 James Jonses out there and still not had a WR open. Right???

So maybe concentrating on getting WRs who can get open would help if there were only 4 targets+ a slow TE...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
also, you say why bring in a TE like this when a RB can just chip, and take the same dump off long distance??? Ummmmm What do you think the dang reason for bringing in a 300 pound OT to play TE? Because of his recieving skills????????? Good greif you guys are stuck in simpleton mode some times...

News flash!!!! If the flippin RB chipping a defender WORKED!?!?!? I wouldnt be talking about a 300 pound blocking TE to stay in there to protect our mvp. Which first and foremost, is my main motivation. Protect him and give him more than 2 seconds to throw... And Lacy could use some run blocking too...

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anybody notice what the Bills and Saints just paid their left tackles? Their deals average
around $12 to $13 million per year. Both Cordy Glenn and Terron Armstead are solid,
Young tackles, but I would not describe them as top tier players. If Bahkiatri has a good
year he could easily make $10 million per year making this an even better selection if
Spriggs can develop to be our left tackle.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tretter has to be resigned IMO. No way he can ask for a huge deal and really represented himself well (after the rough first series) in the AZ game. Super smart kid with nice athleticism. I have high hopes for that young man. Thoughts?

I like Tretter - above average center and can back up left tackle. Very valuable, but someone will offer him starting center money. I'd love to see him line up at tight end several times a game and see what happens.

Last edited:

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You mean when we still had: Desmond Bishop, A. J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar (and also Brad Jones) on the roster. There was no need to draft a ILB 2010. No one could know at that point that Barnett and Chillar would suffer injuries in 2010 and Bishop would suffer a nasty injury in 2011.

There was a need in 2011 and 2012. In 2011 the Packers drafted DJ Smith in the 6th round and in 2012 the Packers traded up in the 5th round for Terrell Manning. Terrell Manning was horrible. The big mistake is not, "not drafting a guy in 2010", but drafting the wrong guys in 2011 and 2012. We passed on Lavonte David in favour of Jerel Worthy :( Moreover Danny Travathan was drafted after Terell Manning :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Anybody notice what the Bills and Saints just paid their left tackles? Their deals average
around $12 to $13 million per year. Both Cordy Glenn and Terron Armstead are solid,
Young tackles, but I would not describe them as top tier players. If Bahkiatri has a good
year he could easily make $10 million per year making this an even better selection if
Spriggs can develop to be our left tackle.

Armstead is an elite left tackle with Glenn being on the cusp of getting there. While I don't expect Bakhtiari to significantly improve in 2016 he will ask for a decent amount of money to re-sign with the Packers.

Thompson will have a tough decision to make next offseason but if Bakhtiari wants to earn close to as much as Armstead or Glenn I would advocate for letting him sign somewhere else.

You mean when we still had: Desmond Bishop, A. J. Hawk, Nick Barnett, Brandon Chillar (and also Brad Jones) on the roster. There was no need to draft a ILB 2010. No one could know at that point that Barnett and Chillar would suffer injuries in 2010 and Bishop would suffer a nasty injury in 2011.

There was a need in 2011 and 2012. In 2011 the Packers drafted DJ Smith in the 6th round and in 2012 the Packers traded up in the 5th round for Terrell Manning. Terrell Manning was horrible. The big mistake is not, "not drafting a guy in 2010", but drafting the wrong guys in 2011 and 2012. We passed on Lavonte David in favour of Jerel Worthy :( Moreover Danny Travathan was drafted after Terell Manning :(

Obviously I was being sarcastic in my earlier response. There's no denying that Thompson hasn't adequately addressed the position for four years running though.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Tretter - above average center and can back up left tackle. Very valuable, but someone will offer him starting center money. I'd love to see him line up at tight end several times a game and see what happens.
After hitting POST many of your points popped in my head. There is a very good chance a team offers some stupid (relatively speaking) money to him and I couldn't blame him in the least for taking it. Time has shown me more times than not these things sort themselves out via injuries or level of play. Bright young player I have high hopes for so I'm pulling for him to stay but your point is certainly valid.

Latest posts