Packers-panthers Notes: Thomas Davis Is Sick Of Hearing About Aaron Rodgers

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Panthers OLB Thomas Davis is predicting a Carolina W Sunday

GREEN BAY PACKERS (1-0) AT CAROLINA PANTHERS (0-1)

Series Leader: Packers 6-4
Last week: Packers W 42-34 vs. Saints Panthers L 28-21 at Cardinals
Broadcast: FOX (1:00 PM ET): Ron Pitts, Jim Mora. SIRIUS: 94 (GB), 117 (Car.). XM: 233 (Car.).

-In what has been a golden week for bulletin board material, Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis is predicting a win for Carolina on Sunday.

He told the assembled media Wednesday, "Man, I’m tired of talking about Aaron Rodgers. We’ll line up and we’re going to compete as hard as we can and we should come away with a victory.”

He added, "You can’t really go into a game thinking you don’t have a chance or we’re close. This is the NFL and any given Sunday you can win a football game.”

Davis is coming back from two knee injuries, but is the "vocal" leader of the Carolina defense.

-WR James Jones has got the media and some fans in a tizzy about his comments regarding playing time. Can you blame the guy?

The five-year pro told ESPN Milwaukee.com "I’m not selfish; I understand we’ve got a lot of weapons, so I’m not saying I want the ball every play. But I think I deserve to be on the field more than I was."

Jones was in the game for 16 plays and caught one pass against New Orleans last Thursday.

Aaron Rodgers predicted what would happen, when he told the media Wednesday "I just hope that you all as media personalities don't run to whoever is the low man on the catch totem pole every week because that's going to get a little bit ridiculous."

Former Falcons and Seahawks coach, Jim Mora Jr, who will do commentary for the game on FOX Sunday, said Jones was just being "a competitor".

"I don’t know that it’s a distraction on that team," Mora said.

"They are very mature as a football team. He is going to get his touches. There is only one ball and they have so many darn weapons. I don’t think it’s a big deal. I really don’t. . . . This is not a guy who causes a lot of problems. This is not an organization that has a lot of discontent. Mike McCarthy is a guy who keeps guys in check, keeps them happy, communicates with them."

Other Notes

-The Packers are an 11.5 favorite over the Panthers.

-The Packer defense is implementing a new Nickel defensive package, which was used last week against the Saints. The package features five defensive backs and will help mitigate the loss of defensive end Mike Neal who is out long-term after undergoing knee surgery this week. Third-year player Jarius Wynn should see the field more with Neal out.

-Charles Woodson has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for punching/upper cutting Saints tight end David Thomas last week. Woodson had this to say about the altercation "[Thomas] was holding me a little longer than I wanted. I know the referees saw what was going on. I'm sure that probably swayed their decision not to eject me."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

-Aaron Rodgers was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week after completed 27 of 35 passes (77.1 percent) for 312 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions for a 132.1 passer rating in the Packers’ 42-34 win over New Orleans.

In past 11 starts with 15+ att. (incl. playoffs), Rodgers has completed 257 of 362 (71 pct.) for 3,271 yards with 28 TDs vs. 3 INTs for 121.2 rating.

Rodgers has won 7 starts in row (incl. playoffs) & has 3+ pass TDs in 5 of those 7 contests. And in Week 1, became 2nd player in NFL history to throw 3 TDs in 1st quarter of season opener.

-Last Sunday Carolina rookie quarterback Cam Newton had 422 passing yards, the most ever by a player in his NFL debut. The previous mark was 346 yards by Pro Football Hall of Famer Otto Graham in 1950. Newton’s 422 yards are tied for the most in a single game by a rookie (Matthew Stafford, November 22, 2009).

Packers head coach Mike McCarthy had this to say about Newton's debut.

“Four twenty-two, that was impressive. I was impressed by their football team as a whole. I was watching the game yesterday on TV and then had a chance to watch their defense this morning. It’s an opponent, we’re going into their stadium for their home opener."

McCarthy continued, “Cam Newton was very impressive for a young man to go out there in his first game and put up the numbers that he did. It looked like he was very much in control of their offense.”

“It’s difficult, no doubt about it. … It’s a credit to their coaching staff and it’s a credit to Cam to go out there and perform at that level with the circumstances of this year’s offseason training, no offseason training and training camp. I was very impressed.”

Packernation Brady

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EXACTLY! Never heard of him....probably never hear from him again! And Cam won't be strumming that guitar any time soon either, ya feeeeeel me?

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one am sick and tired of hearing about this Thomas Davis character. I can't turn on the tv without hearing something abou....

Oh wait, Who?

Members online

Latest posts