Packers Organization

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow the Packers have a lot of cap this off-season, why can't they just speeend it all on all the bigtime players they could afford this year?

Because players get contracts that usually pays better every year, it's true you can afford a player this year, but what about next year when his salary increases AND you need to resign another player which ALSO deserves a slightly larger contract AND you need to sign your draft picks AND FA's to fill holes.

If you fill up your team with bigtime FA's you will eventually go down the road to cap hell, the Packers were there with Sherman, you should be thankful Thompson is taking care of this now.

Your talking about the niners and cowboys after they made their runs

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Chamuko...you have been a bit of a stranger in these parts for a bit....godd to see you back.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...ref. Spend it all today overpaying marginal players, or maintain a financial security blanket to take care of our own up and coming players. We ARE the youngrest team in the league, and that young talent is goingto have to be compensated to keep in the next few years....some more than others.

Nope...let's **** it all away this year....BECAUSE WE HAVE IT.

Great logic!

Im so sick of people who cant read or at least dont have the capacity to understand........Never once did I say to spend it all, I merely said can we make a few signings.....READ BEFORE U POST!!!! IGNORANCE ISNT ALWAYS BLISS!!!!!!!

Nate clements isnt a **** it all away player! Neither was adalius thomas!!!!!
Get Facts straight and read posts next time!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You miss the entire point, ref. That point being, other than Adalius Thomas, EVERY FA player has been grossly overpaid by their new teams. Yes, you are correct, these players are proven....proven to be mostly AVERAGE and being paid like a Reggie White caliber player.

Ignorance, which you claim as MY problem....is knowingly wanting your team to pay WAY too much for a player who is nowhere near worth the contract.

Pissing good money after bad is no way to run a team....if you want to win!

Your caps hissy fit sure gets the point across....louder, I cannot hear you....louder............

Your grasp of supply and demand, and the corresponding economics, need some work.

I understand EXACTLY what you want.....for TT to do ANYTHING for you to feel better about the team. Personally, I want him to do the RIGHT thing...and that is to not overpay average players due to some media/fan induced panic that stupid GMs listen to...and respond to in order to seem like they are doing something.....anything!

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You miss the entire point, ref. That point being, other than Adalius Thomas, EVERY FA player has been grossly overpaid by their new teams. Yes, you are correct, these players are proven....proven to be mostly AVERAGE and being paid like a Reggie White caliber player.

Ignorance, which you claim as MY problem....is knowingly wanting your team to pay WAY too much for a player who is nowhere near worth the contract.

Pissing good money after bad is no way to run a team....if you want to win!

Your caps hissy fit sure gets the point across....louder, I cannot hear you....louder............

Your grasp of supply and demand, and the corresponding economics, need some work.

I understand EXACTLY what you want.....for TT to do ANYTHING for you to feel better about the team. Personally, I want him to do the RIGHT thing...and that is to not overpay average players due to some media/fan induced panic that stupid GMs listen to...and respond to in order to seem like they are doing something.....anything!

U consider Nate Clements, London Fltcher Baker, Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas average???????????

London was tops in tackles I think, Joey is a force to be reconed with...Adalius is up and comming and nate is one of the only true shut down corners....

They are among the top in the league and better than what we have!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relative to their contract dollars, yes. Regardless of their talent, if you pay to much for any commodity you have a cost/benefit ratio that scews to the negative, because the WASTED dollars would otherwise be used to shore up other areas of the team. So, yes...while these players are all very talented, the contracts afforded them make them an average deal for any team that signs them.

Cost/Benefit....remember those words....too much cost, too little benefit.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Relative to their contract dollars, yes. Regardless of their talent, if you pay to much for any commodity you have a cost/benefit ratio that scews to the negative, because the WASTED dollars would otherwise be used to shore up other areas of the team. So, yes...while these players are all very talented, the contracts afforded them make them an average deal for any team that signs them.

Cost/Benefit....remember those words....too much cost, too little benefit.

I agree they are expensive, but when judgin cost benefit, you must take into account available capital....If you have the available capital to purchase a benefit such as these players you'll end up being fine as long as they keep yeilding what they are currently yeilding....Its a simple Weighted Average Cost of Capital Formula...AKA WACC.....All that these players would have to do is maintain or surpass their current play and the investment will return...Guaranteed everytime...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not one or two players away from the Super Bowl. If that WERE the case, I would agree with the spend now and get the trophty mindset you espouse. Where we are today, you have to hold onto cash to sight your own up and coming players in the next year or two. And there are many.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not one or two players away from the Super Bowl. If that WERE the case, I would agree with the spend now and get the trophty mindset you espouse. Where we are today, you have to hold onto cash to sight your own up and coming players in the next year or two. And there are many.

I cannot for the life of me understand why we have not signed these guys to no-win contracts that they will NEVER live up to while pissing off EVERY other player on the team and creating the inability to RESIGN players a couple years from now who are REALLY WORTH KEEPING.

Can You?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you fill up your team with bigtime FA's you will eventually go down the road to cap hell, the Packers were there with Sherman, you should be thankful Thompson is taking care of this now.

I agree, all those years when we were winning and making it to the playoffs really sucked. It's a lot nicer now having lots of money and a mediocre team.

Also, you can't use this year's salary cap money to build up any cushion for signing future players. You have to spend the vast majority of it in the year you have it.

Also, if you have a good GM you aren't overspending on marginal players, you're paying market value on players that can help your team win. Failure to realize that is like proving a point by refusing to pay more than $2.00 for a gallon of gas. Yeah, it's overpriced, but if you don't pay it you walk while everyone else is driving by you.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you obviously don't understand,

If you have 1 million in cap space in year 1

you sign John Doe to a 3 million dollar contract, 1 million the 1st year and 2 million the second year,

what do you do in year 2 if your cap is only 1,5 million?

You have to cut someone.

Scale this up a lot larger and you have a team in biiig doodoo

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
U consider Nate Clements, London Fltcher Baker, Joey Porter, Adalius Thomas average???????????
They are among the top in the league and better than what we have!

I'm sorry, you gotta explain this to me.
LFB- He's 31 this season, and Barnett, at 25 holds the Packers single-season record for tackles in a season. I'd say there's upside.

Nate Clements- How many picks this year? 3, but Chuck had 8, and Al allowed about that many receptions.

Adalius Thomas- better as an OLB in a 3-4 than a DE in a 4-3(where we would have played him). Had 11 sacks. But Kampy had 15.5, and Jenkins (whom Tightwad Ted got resigned) had 6.5, only playing DE in the last half of the season.

Joey Porter- He'll be 29. 55 Tackles, 7 sacks, 2 INT Poppinga: 26 yrs old. 60 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 pick...Hawk, at age 22, had 119 Tackles, 3.5 sacks, and 2 INT.

How are those guys better than what we have, especially with how much more we'd have to pay them?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you sign John Doe to a 3 million dollar contract, 1 million the 1st year and 2 million the second year,

You have to cut someone.

I guess you're right, I just don't understand.

We have $21 million in cap space and we don't sign anyone. So explain to me the part where this gets us into big doodoo.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ref..Nate clements is now the highest paid D player..Your telling us that he is worth THAT??

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CurlyBear said:

You have to cut someone.

We have $21 million in cap space and we don't sign anyone. So explain to me the part where this gets us into big doodoo.

You really think Green Bay goes into the Draft without one signing?

5 days into free agency is not that long. The 1st wave is come and gone and the Packers like they did last year made 0 moves. Their going to wait and get the 2nd tier guys who'll sign for a more reasonable price. Last year Kyle Vanden Bosch was a 2nd tier guy and he had a monster year for the Titans. Ryan Pickett for us came in that 2nd wave. If the Packers manage to grab 2 or 3 guys within this month it should set them up pretty good heading into the Draft.

Personally I rather see Nick Barnett signed long term rather than Green Bay signing someone like Nate Clements to a monster deal.

Talent is still available

2007 Free Agents

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
CurlyBear said:

You have to cut someone.

I explained what I feel is what is going on b4, Ill do it again??

21 million

you have to save some for rookies prob about 4 million

that leaves 17 million

A replacment for Green or another f/a again say 4 million

thats 13 million

are they going for Moss? and if they do what is his cap #? 5, 6?? Say its 6

thats 7 million.

I would like for them to re-do Barnetts deal thats going to take a big hunk of that 7 million, then you still have the RESt of the season to count on what you have left

So in a nuttshell, Moss, re-do Barnetts deal, and rookies prob take 15 million at least

thats at the min only 6 million left, and what f/a from the ones that got signed would take that??

NONE

Members online

Latest posts