Packers Organization

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im very interested to see where you all think the packers are heading since we obviously dont believe in over paying players...We have one of the largest cap rooms in the NFL, yet when ever a good player comes along we claim, they are asking for to many picks or for too much money. What are we supposed to do with this cap room? I mean is shelling it out to unproven draft picks better than shelling it out to former and present pro bowlers...granted our draft picks are the future, but when we are in the situation we are currently in with all this money where should it go?

I mean we didnt feel we should give it to Javon, and man I feel that was a huge mistake...He definately deserved it... He was a franchise WR..
What were we holding our money for that year?

Nate Clements -Perhaps he was asking to much but we could have afforded him. I mean seriously why couldnt we have went after him we arent signing any one else at the moment.

As for Moss, If brett wants him , why not give it to him... He knows more about football than us and TT put together..

Also if we are goin to hold on to the money for better players to become available, im sorry but i cant remember the last time players like adalius thomas, joey porter, nate clements , london fletcher baker, and others could all be attained...Granted we dont need certain positions, but geez..

I guess im just asking where u all think TT is heading, so that maybe i can understand where yall are coming from...

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ref take a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG look at one of the most successful frenchise over the last ten years. The Patriots how many times have they over spent (excluding this year folks)

Teams have to have the foundation before you build the house. Look at the redskins on paper the best team out there. On the field possibly the worst. The Raiders who remind me of alot of high priced junk. Scraps and former superbowl MVPS. Just because you try and buy a championship doesnt mean that the championship comes your way.

How many World titles have the yankees won in the last 10 years. Most teams that win are just that TEAMS not a collection of overpaid under achievers.

I think woodson finally bought into what was going on here in GB towards the end of the season. He saw that wow I can actually strut out here and be part of a TEAM something honestly he did not see since his mighigan days.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ref take a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG look at one of the most successful frenchise over the last ten years. The Patriots how many times have they over spent (excluding this year folks)

Teams have to have the foundation before you build the house. Look at the redskins on paper the best team out there. On the field possibly the worst. The Raiders who remind me of alot of high priced junk. Scraps and former superbowl MVPS. Just because you try and buy a championship doesnt mean that the championship comes your way.

How many World titles have the yankees won in the last 10 years. Most teams that win are just that TEAMS not a collection of overpaid under achievers.

I think woodson finally bought into what was going on here in GB towards the end of the season. He saw that wow I can actually strut out here and be part of a TEAM something honestly he did not see since his mighigan days.

Yes , but everyone also knows year in year out the yankees have the best chance to win it all with the talent they have....I understand lately they have been quiet...But how many WS have they won in all....Exactly my point, they are the most known franchise in all of the sporting world no arguement...And to have as many WS as they do id take a 10 year drought...

The redskins were alot better than they looked...The loss of lavar along with clinton cost them... Also of all the games they lost... they lost them all by an avg. of 6 points or fewer...That says something they could have easily made a push if cards would have went their way....There is no way they were near the worst.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider however that recent history tells you that cards going right does nothing. In 2005 the Packers were if's and but's away from being 9 and 6 You want to have a teams that does not depend on having things going your way.

Brett said it best in the past the Team was good enough to overcome his mistakes. In 2005 they were not. In 2006 the last 3 games were honestly defensive wins. Had they made the Playoffs they may have done some damage.

I like the way the defense looks for the most part. Now we are entering the tweeking phase of things a part here some depth there and we are poised to make a jump again.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you just compare the NFL salary cap to MLBs

no I did not...Only a complete moron would make that comparison...Everyone with common sense knows the difference...I was comparing the yankees appraoch to winning with the packers approach, im only making the comparison that you did...Never once did I mention baseball cap...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

no I did not...Only a complete moron would make that comparison...Everyone with common sense knows the difference...I was comparing the yankees appraoch to winning with the packers approach, im only making the comparison that you did...Never once did I mention baseball cap...

Um, I asked if you did, you know, clarification. Slow your roll, junior. Your ***** getting tired really fast and im surprised the mods didn't give you the tromadz treatment yet.

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is getting totally off topic...The post is not an arguement as to which direction they should go...Its asking where do u think the packers are goin and what are they doing with their money?

I was just stating examples of why I cant understand where they are going because of past decisions...

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
refpacker said:
tromadz said:

Um, I asked if you did, you know, clarification. Slow your roll, junior. Your ***** getting tired really fast and im surprised the mods didn't give you the tromadz treatment yet.

Slow ur roll in no way was that a shot at you....I stated that only a moron would make that comparison...Since neither of us did it isnt a shot at either of us....Ease off the rage their patna. If anything is getting old is ur mis-interpretation of something that was never stated in the first place...

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider however that recent history tells you that cards going right does nothing. In 2005 the Packers were if's and but's away from being 9 and 6 You want to have a teams that does not depend on having things going your way.

What do I know? I thought they played 16 games a season. :beersign:

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:

What do I know? I thought they played 16 games a season. :beersign:

LOL

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'll take tht daily double for 1000 Alex!

That would be 4 the Yankees were World Series Champs in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000

What did I win JB????

OP
OP
R

refpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:

What did I win JB????

U win best post on the page...I guess i could throw in some tickets to see the carolina bay rats take on the tennessee field mice LOL

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't compare the Yankees to an NFL Team. Base ball has no salary cap. They can spend as much as they want. The Packers have a limit.

The Packers would be fools to use up all the cap in one year. Mike Sherman tried it with Joe Johnson, Terry Glenn, and Hardy Nickerson and it didn't propell the Packers into the Super Bowl. Why would it be different this time around? So Green Bay can repeat themselves.

The Packers and most successful NFL teams build through the Draft. That is the right thing to do. Usually you use free agency to put yourself over the top.

Also keep in mind we're not even a week into free agency yet and all this panic is very premature. Last year they didn't sign Pickett and Woodson until later on. Panic in April. Not early March.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But seriously where are we planning to use this cap room???

21 million last week

prob 4 million for rookies

thats 17 million

replacment for green? maybe 4?

thats 13 million left

Moss?? hopefully he gets signed for about 6 million..or different f/a or 2??

thats 7 million..

Barnett extension during season?? 4, 5 , 6?

Could be mighty thin come 1st game of season in cap..Could be near the 2 or 3 million range if this is the way it pans out..

See how this works?

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh so now you get snotty ref. Well ok since we are in 2007 the yankees have won 3 title in the last ten years. Ok well and Good but I believe as their money spent went up. Thier World Titles went away. And agreed maybe the baseball analogy is not the best as far as the ability to throw money around.

Sorry about the math issue folks 9 and 7 I meant but oh well.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:

What did I win JB????

You have won a shiny new well ummmm nothing Oh here ya go Bruce :twocents:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like it was stated here already......you need to build a solid foundation before you start bringing in the big money FA's. Otherwise you are just wasting money. The Packers of the early 90's were a strong team with a great foundation. They got White, and it pushed them over the top.
Like LT showed, you can run through that cap money REAL quick. So it pays to be careful and be SURE of what you are doing before you just start the spending spree.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow the Packers have a lot of cap this off-season, why can't they just speeend it all on all the bigtime players they could afford this year?

Because players get contracts that usually pays better every year, it's true you can afford a player this year, but what about next year when his salary increases AND you need to resign another player which ALSO deserves a slightly larger contract AND you need to sign your draft picks AND FA's to fill holes.

If you fill up your team with bigtime FA's you will eventually go down the road to cap hell, the Packers were there with Sherman, you should be thankful Thompson is taking care of this now.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow the Packers have a lot of cap this off-season, why can't they just speeend it all on all the bigtime players they could afford this year?

Because players get contracts that usually pays better every year, it's true you can afford a player this year, but what about next year when his salary increases AND you need to resign another player which ALSO deserves a slightly larger contract AND you need to sign your draft picks AND FA's to fill holes.

If you fill up your team with bigtime FA's you will eventually go down the road to cap hell, the Packers were there with Sherman, you should be thankful Thompson is taking care of this now.
I for one, AM thankful. I'm glad TT thinks things out before mortgaging the farm on "maybes".

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, yeah...ref. Spend it all today overpaying marginal players, or maintain a financial security blanket to take care of our own up and coming players. We ARE the youngrest team in the league, and that young talent is goingto have to be compensated to keep in the next few years....some more than others.

Nope...let's **** it all away this year....BECAUSE WE HAVE IT.

Great logic!

Members online

Latest posts