Cheesehead
Reaction score
From PR. I wouldn't mind this draft.

Packer Report.com

Packers-only mock draft

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Apr 4, 2008

Many NFL draft experts seem to think the Green Bay Packers will select cornerback Antoine Cason in the first round of the upcoming draft. Packer Report's Bob Fox agrees, but check Fox's predictions for the Pack in subsequent rounds.

We are less than a month away from the 2008 NFL draft. The Green Bay Packers earlier this week were awarded a fourth round compensatory pick from the NFL, giving Green Bay eight draft choices, including three of the top 60 selections.

A lot could happen on draft day with the Packers. Will Ted Thompson for the FIRST time actually trade up and get a player he wants? Or will Thompson trade down again at times to get more selections as he has done in the past? Or will Thompson just stand pat with his selections, knowing the Packers were in the NFC Championship game and that the Packers were the youngest team in the NFL the last two years? Also, will Thompson trade a pick (or picks) for a proven NFL player, or one with potential, like he did for Ryan Grant.

Then there is also the Brett Favre retirement factor. When do the Packers select a QB in this draft to back up and compete with Aaron Rodgers? The past has told us that Thompson and the scouting department have their own board, and they pick whoever they think is the top player on the board. Big college or small. Well known or little known. Thompson has had three solid drafts in his time in Green Bay. I think that history will continue this year.

1) CB Antoine Cason (Arizona)
Cason (6-foot-0, 190 pounds) had 15 career interceptions at Arizona. With his size, he is natural in press coverage, plus has nice ball skills. Great route awareness, as he has the instincts to jump or alter routes. Cason would be perfect in the type of coverage that the Green Bay defense employs. He also tackles well in the run game, which is an important attribute. Cason will have two great teachers in Al Harris and Charles Woodson.

2a) TE Martellus Bennett (Texas A&M)
Bennett (6-7, 253) has excellent size, runs good routes and uses his size as an advantage, and improved every year he was at A&M. Bennett also has the skills and size to be an effective blocker as well. He is not a deep threat, but he has exceptional ability in the middle of the field and is tough to tackle.

2b) RB Ray Rice (Rutgers)
Rice (5-8, 205) is a little on the small side, but he runs close to the ground and is very tough to tackle. He is a natural for the Packers zone blocking run scheme. Rice rushed for more than 1,000 yards three straight years at Rutgers, scoring 44 touchdowns the last two. He is good in pass protection and is getting better as a receiver.

3) QB John David Booty (USC)
Ted Thompson went to USC for pro day this Wednesday to see for himself a lot of the Trojan talent. Booty has the ability to be a effective QB in the West Coast system. Booty is almost 6-3 and 213 pounds and has a strong arm. He is very accurate on short and intermediate routes, but will need some help on his overall technique. Head coach Mike McCarthy and QB coach Tom Clements will take care of that.

4a) OG Donald Thomas (Connecticut)
Director of College Scouting John Dorsey went to the Connecticut pro day, probably to check out Thomas (6-4, 295). Thomas is somewhat raw, but through good coaching, can be very effective in the offensive system that the Packers run. He very fast for his size and is very good in space.

4b) S Dominique Barber (Minnesota)
Barber (6-0, 211) is the brother of Dallas RB Marion Barber. Dominique Barber is a tackling machine, and also has improved in terms of his ball skills. He has decent speed and can lay the leather. Also can blitz well and would do well on special teams.

5) OL Drew Radovich (USC)
Radovich has the abilty to play either guard or tackle. Radovich (6-4, 302) plays whistle to whistle and is always hustling. Very tough, but needs to get stronger. I'm sure Thompson watched him closely on pro day at USC as well.

7) LB J. Leman (Illinois)
Leman (6-2-plus, 237) had 41 starts at Illinois and was very productive. He is a great competitor who will excel on special teams. He is smart, always around the ball and versatile. He can play inside or outside linebacker.

slimmer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of the others mock NFL drafts like the Packers drafting Cason as well.
Also I would love to see Ray Rice in a Packer uniform. Some other mock
drafts have the Packers drafting Steve Slaton over Ray Rice. Well the
2008 NFL draft weekend should be very interesting to say the least.

Later.

Slim

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only have two problems with that Mock.

First I highly doubt that Drew Radovich of USC falls into teh 5th Round. Second, it would be a big reach for Green Bay to take Ray Rice at 2B not if other backs are still on the board. Booty might be an okay pick at #3, but I don't think we grab a QB till the 4th at the earliest. Lastly, to wait that long to get an Offensive Lineman, be it a Tackle, Tackle/Guard hybrid, or pure guard is not a good idea. We need at least one stud OL out of this draft whether its a guy who can start this season, or a guy that needs a year first.

Members online

Latest posts