Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with that and expect a draftee, Goodson, or other newcomers will compete for the third cover CB and supplant Richardson as “next up”. McGinn noted that most of Richardson’s snaps came in a 4-4 run-oriented D. I was hoping Richardson could on the field more from scrimmage but he’s limited in coverage and not the best option in the dime IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say Hayward isn't guaranteed to be our other outside CB...could be Goodson, could be a draft pick....depending on that it could change the added value of a fresh Richardson coming into for snaps (Hyde either nickle or S back up depending).

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with that and expect a draftee, Goodson, or other newcomers will compete for the third cover CB and supplant Richardson as “next up”. McGinn noted that most of Richardson’s snaps came in a 4-4 run-oriented D. I was hoping Richardson could on the field more from scrimmage but he’s limited in coverage and not the best option in the dime IMO.
"Compete" is one thing; "secure" is another.

There's another variable to consider. Burnett played a lot of box safety in the back half of last season. Richardson is a box safety, something Hyde is not. So a Burnett injury makes Richardson the uncontested "strong safety" against opponents inclined to pound the ball. In any case, a Dix-Hyde tandem is not something you'd call robust run support. Another variable is who lines up next to Barrington at ILB which further defines preferred match ups.

Richardson was re-signed first and foremost as a core special teams player and a run-defending safety backup and occasional 3-safety dime player. He could earn his money doing just that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree....surprised by the money we're spending on him as a back up...but tells me he is seen as our truest and most capable should either starter go down. Also tells me Hyde discussion at S is merely emergency only which would elude to even more so the thought Hyde in slot while Hayward most likely given shot at #2 CB.

Richardson will most likely be the backup at SS but there´s no way he would replace Clinton-Dix at FS.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers' special teams were a disaster last year and Richardson was one of the few bright spots. Packers didn't want to lose him PLUS I would imagine, being that he's still young, the coaches want to see how he develops. People are concerned about having a "coverage" ILB, well, on passing downs maybe the staff thinks Richardson could turn into that player?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers' special teams were a disaster last year and Richardson was one of the few bright spots. Packers didn't want to lose him PLUS I would imagine, being that he's still young, the coaches want to see how he develops. People are concerned about having a "coverage" ILB, well, on passing downs maybe the staff thinks Richardson could turn into that player?

Richardson got most of his playing time in a big nickel/dime package to support the run defense. Coverage isn't one of his strengths.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Luca please explain how or why you disagree with my post.....love to hear this.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richardson got most of his playing time in a big nickel/dime package to support the run defense. Coverage isn't one of his strengths.

He only needs to cover better than most inside linebackers since that's the role he would pretty much be playing. It might not be a strength but I'm guessing that his coverage ability is still better than most ILBs.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

He only needs to cover better than most inside linebackers since that's the role he would pretty much be playing. It might not be a strength but I'm guessing that his coverage ability is still better than most ILBs.

That's what you would expect out of a safety but I'm not convinced it's true for Richardson. He has some serious issues in man coverage and struggles when being put in zone coverage as well.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think they will draft a QB late. I doubt we go into the season with just 2 QBs again so I think we will grab 1 more to give Blanchard a challenge for the #3 spot.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

First information about the schedule: Packers will host Bears on Thanksgiving night.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First information about the schedule: Packers will host Bears on Thanksgiving night.

Nice. I believe that also means we'll be going to Chicago in December since we have to host the Bears first this year. I would guess Week 16.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tom Silverstein reporting that Seattle coming to GB Week 2 for Sunday night football

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I read too that there's a decent chance that that's a gold package game

The gold package games are always the second and fifth home games of the season. So the Bears game isn't one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts