Packers' no-surprise party

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted: Oct. 3, 2007
SportsDay

Bob Wolfley

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy is not surprised by his team's 4-0 start.

"By no means at all am I surprised," McCarthy said during an interview that aired Tuesday on Fox Sports Radio. "It's for real here. And it's something that our players have put a lot of extra time into, and they really bought into the off-season program. We had so much individual player improvement throughout the spring, (and) it carried over into our (summer practices) and training camp. And we're now seeing the benefits from it. We're a young, improving football team. I think we're a good young football team that's only going to get better."

McCarthy was asked how crucial Brett Favre's play has been to the team.

"He's a very experienced quarterback, obviously, for the number of games he has played in, more importantly how many practices he's gone through," McCarthy said. "He sees the field very well, has a very good understanding of what defenses are trying to do to you based on personnel and formation. Frankly, that's something that we tapped into. And he's really in tune with each game plan. Puts a lot of extra time into preparation.

"The continuity and consistency that we're looking for between him and the perimeter group gets better and better each week. And I think that's a big part of our success right now in the passing game."

"Look at the consecutive game streak and realize that in one football package we have Cal Ripken Jr. and Henry Aaron," Lupica said on ESPN's "Sports Reporters." "That's basically who this guy is now.

"It would be a wonderful thing for this sport if the Packers can be a good team."
Run down a dream

ESPN's Emmitt Smith does not see enough playmakers or enough of a running game to consider the 4-0 Packers a Super Bowl contender.

Smith is the National Football League's career rushing leader who was part of three Super Bowl-winning teams.

"They are doing a great job of winning games, but are they Super Bowl contenders?" Smith said. "I don't think so. Brett Favre does not have enough weapons around him.

"He has a great wide receiver in Donald Driver. But after that? No running game. How in the world do you expect to compete against teams like the Cowboys, the Patriots, the Colts and the Steelers, even if you make it to the Super Bowl?"

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN's Emmitt Smith does not see enough playmakers or enough of a running game to consider the 4-0 Packers a Super Bowl contender.

Smith is the National Football League's career rushing leader who was part of three Super Bowl-winning teams.

"They are doing a great job of winning games, but are they Super Bowl contenders?" Smith said. "I don't think so. Brett Favre does not have enough weapons around him.

"He has a great wide receiver in Donald Driver. But after that? No running game. How in the world do you expect to compete against teams like the Cowboys, the Patriots, the Colts and the Steelers, even if you make it to the Super Bowl?"

Gregorious Jennings will make him eat his words. Literally.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is sooooo hard to listen to Emmitt butcher the English language on a weekly basis. What is it about former Cowboys that makes them unlistenable??

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Gregorious Jennings will make him eat his words. Literally.

Yes, I heard his statement last week before the Vikings game. What Emmit has forgotten however, is that the playoffs don't start tomorrow and the Packers will do fine.

In competitive sports, you don't change up what you are doing unless your opponents start shutting down your successful strategy. So Emmit thinks we don't run enough, so do half of the people on this board... Big DEAL!

3 factors that have been in the Packer favor.
1, favorable weather... so far.
2, Favre has been playing unbelievably well
3, Packers are winning and the Players believe in themselves.

I hope more of the NON packers come out and try their BS. It'll only fuel the fire on the Packer engines!

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
It is sooooo hard to listen to Emmitt butcher the English language on a weekly basis. What is it about former Cowboys that makes them unlistenable??

Yeah, not to mention he looks like a freakin' Black Beard Pirate. What do you know, a running back saying that the packers don't have a good enough running game. What a surprise!! All that matters is that we win games, whether it be via special teams, defense, or even passing the ball.

Between Smith and Terrell Davis, I'm beginning to hate watching this stuff.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The REAl question is will other teams be able to stop our run game when they have gone to the expense of taking away the pass.

I believe MM will have an answer for teams that do what they have to do to take the ball out of Brett's hands.

I say this because we are so good at what we do that this will require more than a minor change. Teams are going to have to sell their soul to stop what we do.

Latest posts