Packers News and Notes

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Green Bay Packers offensive guard Josh Sitton (71) is in danger of missing his first game in 49 starts with an MCL strain.

By Travis Duncan

Packers linebacker Erik Walden apologized to the Green Bay Packers organization, his teammates and fans on Tuesday in the wake of his arrest on suspicion of domestic violence, reports the Associated Press.

Walden told reporters "I want to apologize to the entire organization, my teammates and the fans. You know, it’s an ongoing process, I respect that process, and it’s just unfortunate that I brought something negative from so much positive that’s going on with this organization.”

His status for Sunday's game against New York is up in the air-as far as we know. The NFL will let the legal process play out and then may decide to take action at some point.

If Walden doesn't play Sunday, then Frank Zombo would get the start.

-Packers right guard Josh Sitton likely won't play Sunday against the Giants, reports ABC 2 WBAY. Sitton has started 49 straight games, but has an MCL sprain which could end that streak. Evan Dietrich-Smith will start in place of Sitton more than likely.
-Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times writes that a desperate New York Giants team poses a threat to the undefeated Packers.

He writes, "Yes, the Giants (6-5) hobble in on a three-game losing streak against NFC West-leading San Francisco, division rival Philadelphia and NFC South-leading New Orleans in Monday's blowout defeat. But the Giants don't bow before unbeaten teams."

-ESPN's First Take, led by Skip Bayless, debated whether or not the Saints are the biggest challenge to the Packers.

-The National Football Post has the X's and O's of Rodgers to Greg Jennings on the Flat-7 scheme.

-FOX will send it's No. 1 team to New York for Sunday's Game. Play-by-play man Joe Buck and color analyst Troy Aikman will have the call from the broadcast booth with Pam Oliver reporting from the sidelines.

-Another team's treasure: Both Ryan Grant and Charlie Peprah were at one time New York Giants. Grant was signed by NY as a non-drafted free agent in 2005. The Giants traded Grant to the Packers in Sept. of 2007. Peprah was put on waivers after he was drafted in 2006 and claimed by the Packers.

-Charles Woodson will be heard on Rich Eisen's (NFL Network) podcast this Wednesday. He told Eisen "We understand we have a big game coming up this week in New York. All those talks about 16-0 and the playoffs are fine ... but we are focused on this week and 12-0. Our No. 1 goal has and always will be -- Super Bowl."

-Donald Driver looked into the future with Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel recently. The 13-year pro talked about a number of things including:

Says Driver, "My one goal is . . . maybe . . . one day . . . I could have my name in the ring of honor. Maybe one day get the jersey retired. Maybe one day, go to Ohio - don't care if I'm 90 years old walking with a cane - in Canton. I mean Canton is the ultimate goal for every player. . . ."

-NFL Films has a video posted with Brian Baldinger for a segment called "Anatomy of a Play" This week it features well the Aaron Rodgers and the Packers receivers execute the back-shoulder throw-and catch.

-The Packers can clinch a playoff spot with a win Sunday against the Giants. If they playoffs began today the NFC seeding would look like this

1. Green Bay Packers 2. San Francisco 49ers 3. New Orleans Saints 4. Dallas Cowboys 5. Chicago Bears 6. Atlanta Falcons.

It's possible they could also win the division title this weekend as well, if things fall just right.

From NFL PR:

The Packers can clinch the NFC North with:
1) GB win + DET loss or tie OR
2) GB tie + CHI loss or tie + DET loss OR
3) CHI loss + DET loss

The Packers can clinch a playoff spot with:
1) GB win OR
2) GB tie + CHI loss or tie OR
3) CHI loss OR
4) ATL loss OR
5) DET loss OR
6) NO loss + ATL tie