Packers need immediate help at receiver by P Dougherty of PG

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Pete Dougherty
PackersNews.com

The Green Bay Packers need immediate help at receiver.

The problem is, receiver is among the most difficult positions for an NFL team to get immediate help from its draft, even with an early-round pick.

In the last five years, 71 receivers have been selected in the first two rounds of the draft. In their rookie seasons, they’ve averaged a paltry 21.0 receptions. About 30 percent of them (21) had 40 receptions or more as a rookie; only 7 percent (five) had 50 receptions or more; and only two, Arizona’s Anquan Boldin (101) and Houston’s Andre Johnson (66) had 60 receptions or more.

When those draft numbers are broken down to second-round picks, only six of 23 caught at least 40 passes, and only Boldin caught 50 or more. So Greg Jennings, a second-round draft pick by the Packers, will be bucking the odds if he’s a significant contributor in his rookie season.

“I’m hoping (Jennings) is one of those six,â€

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally hope someone can step up and take the #2 away from Fergy before worrying about the #3. He stunk last year at the #2 spot. Hopefully Gardner can take the two receiver slot and someone will step up and do the job at #3.
I doubt it can be Fergy. I know they hope he brings his game back up but I have my doubts and I don't think Brett has any confidence in him either.

Jennings is talented enough to grab the #3 spot if not early, later, in the season. Murph was starting to make some strides when he got hurt. I can see Jennings coming along like that.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confident Fergy won't be a #2. Jennings\Gardner\Boreigter ...one of those guys SHOULD easilly take that spot from him. These aren't McCarthys boys, he doesnt care who it is...as long as they get the job done.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a lot of question marks at reciever...I say just get rid of Robert Ferguson to start balancing the equation...he did nothing last year other than spectate as the teams picked off passes intented for him

so that leaves...Donald Driver, Rod Gardner, Greg Jennings, Marc Boeritger, as our top recievers...I'd like to see us sign someone after June 1st cuts are made, just another veteran

But honestly I think there is too much emphasis being pushed on the reciever position from this board...we're gonna have running backs more involved (now that they're healthy), and don't forget Sherman rarely included the tight ends, hopefully Martin stays healthy and we can have a solid rotation...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
There's a lot of question marks at reciever...I say just get rid of Robert Ferguson to start balancing the equation...he did nothing last year other than spectate as the teams picked off passes intented for him

so that leaves...Donald Driver, Rod Gardner, Greg Jennings, Marc Boeritger, as our top recievers...I'd like to see us sign someone after June 1st cuts are made, just another veteran

But honestly I think there is too much emphasis being pushed on the reciever position from this board...we're gonna have running backs more involved (now that they're healthy), and don't forget Sherman rarely included the tight ends, hopefully Martin stays healthy and we can have a solid rotation...

Javon.....the problem is without a true #1 that must be doubled every down it allows the defense to keep the safeties up to play the run. If we had a stud #1 receiver it would not only help the passing game but would do wonders for he running game.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Driver is a legit number 1 reciever. He has shown that he can get the deep ball and stretch the field. He isn't a top tier number one reciever but he is quite capable.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.

I used to doubt DD and think he was Average at BEST..but the last 2 seasons he really proved a lot to me(personally).

If we have 2-3 other guys that can compliment DD(Jennings,Gardner,Ferguson,Boreigter) then great. Last year it was DD and...Ferguson...and then.....nobody.

It sucked

Our situation is better now by default.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I think Driver is a legit number 1 reciever. He has shown that he can get the deep ball and stretch the field. He isn't a top tier number one reciever but he is quite capable.

DD is a great #2 receiver but not a #1. He's not fast enough to be considered a #1 with his lack of height. Favre can make alot of mediocre receivers look good....(Freeman, Brooks)

Guys like (Steve Smith, Lav Coles, isac bruce, torry holt) can get away with it because they have world class speed and a similar threat on the other side. Whenever you see a great receiver on a team, almost allways you have another guy on the team who is also a 1000 yard receiver.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD also has world class speed to stretch the field. Do I wish he were 4" taller and 20 lbs heavier...sure. That said, he has proven himself capable as a #1. And, let's not forget the re-emphasis of the TEs under MM. Lee is a very intriguing stretch the field TE and will create match up problems of LBs and safeties.

And, for those who say we cannot get to and win the SB with strong TE performance and productive WRs and RBs...well, that is EXACTLY how we won ten years ago........with the complement of a bad *** defense...which also appears well on the way toward existing in GB.

We will bhe fine with DD at #1.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
SuperRat said:

DD is a great #2 receiver but not a #1. He's not fast enough to be considered a #1 with his lack of height. Favre can make alot of mediocre receivers look good....(Freeman, Brooks)

Guys like (Steve Smith, Lav Coles, isac bruce, torry holt) can get away with it because they have world class speed and a similar threat on the other side. Whenever you see a great receiver on a team, almost allways you have another guy on the team who is also a 1000 yard receiver.

DD is without a doubt alegit No. 1 reciever. He just chooses to not take part in the "self-promotion' that all the others do. It funny when you thinkof Top Recievers in this league you think TO,Chad Johnson,Etc but noone ever seemsto mention Marvin Harrison because he just shuts his mouth and plays football. DD does the same. He may not fit the part but look at his numbers, he gets it done.

The 2 reciever is where the confusion begins. I personally think Gardner is the guy. He was a legit starter in this league for a few years. If he can learn to bring his top game week in and week out he could be an above average No. 2.

Boerighter/Fergie at 3 is fine with me. I love Boerighters size and as a 3 against a nickel back/LB I drool over that matchup.

Jennings/Rodgers/Lucas, etc should be able to contribute in spots and situations.

Throw in Lee, Franks and good pass catching RB's and FB's and it will be ok.

I think the WR corp is fine personally. I think we better worry more about Brett having time to deliver the ball instead of who's going to catch it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are nuts! I love Driver. He is a great Packer.. he is not a legit #1.

Legit #1's demand double coverage on EVERY play.
Legit #1's open the rest of the field up for the other receivers.
Legit #1's open up the running game by not allowing safety's to play in the box.

It is not a coincidence that our passing game and our running game sucked without Walker in there. Don't give me injuries to our running backs. Green was going nowhere fast even before he was injured.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally feel that Driver is a good 2. As a 1 he leaves a lot to be desired. However, you make do with what you have.

What do you guys think of the sudden "retirement" of Jimmy Smith down in JAX? Rumor has it (AND IT IS ONLY RUMOR TO MY KNOWLEDGE AT THIS POINT) that the retirment may have had something to do with a drug test. You'll remember he's already served a 4 game suspension for prior drug test failures.

If this rumor is true, then we can assume that Smith is truly done in the NFL. If not, he may be someone to pick up just prior to the season or training camp to provide much needed depth and squeeze a year or two out of. He'd certainly work his way into the rotation, if not start, right away and could serve as an ok 1 or a very good 2.

Thoughts?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First thing that popped into my head when I heard the news was a relapse. Hope he gets it worked out if in fact that is the case. Seems like a good, although somewhat troubled, guy.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where in better shape with Driver as our #1 than most people are with their #1. The problem is we have no compliment. Walker and Driver complimented each other. Now we have Driver and X at WR. Greg Jennings will fil the voy for the future but is he ready now. As a compliment to Driver. I'm not to sure. Maybe.. He looked great at mini camp but let's wait a bit. Fergy or Gardner need to step up. They have the talent to do so.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, the WCO is not so much abouthaving a primary to pull double coverage as it is about manipulating defenses via formations and movement to create the open WR....and also having a QB capable of running through his checkdowns to FIND the open WR.

It would be nice to have that guy who pulls double....but the WCO minimizes that need relative to other offenses.

Members online

Latest posts