Packers must start at step one

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Over the past 2 seasons under Ted Thompson's watch as GM, the Packers have only beaten two teams with winning records for the season. Both wins came on the last game of the season vs teams who had wrapped up HFA and had absolutely nothing to play for. Both teams wound up in the Super Bowl to obviously expose both fluke wins.

Before TT and MM can expect the Packers to become a playoff team they will have to learn how to beat teams with winning records. It goes with the turf.

This years Super Bowl teams, Indianapolis and Chicago were 15-3 combined at home. Last years Super Bowl teams, Pittsburgh and Seatlle were 13-3 combined at home. Going back 6 years, the Super Bowl teams are 81-15 combined at home. Does this ring a bell?

The Packers are 6-10 at home under TT's watch as GM. If the Packers expect to become a playoff team who can go deep into the playoffs, TT and MM have their work cut out for them.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article belongs under the "Well......DUH!" column.
It's kind of like saying........"If you want to win, you have to score more points then the other team!"
I think whoever wrote that needed to fill some space on a page, and couldn't come up with anything better.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff you forgot to mention the standard excuse uttered by the "we need a change" crowd: Mike Sherman ruined the team. TT came in and said they had no "core talent"(a lie), so HE would oversee the overhaul of the team and build 'CORE' talent.

So far, he's landed one All-Star(Hawk-no brainer), one free agent off the scrap heap(Woodson-only after severe goading by fans and other managers) and a couple of o-linemen.

He also re-signed Kampman.

Never mentioned by the ROTTT(Reign of Ted Thompson Terror) apologists are: the 2005 draft which has produced little outside of maybe Poppinga, including the #1 pick. Marquand Manuel(didn't Ted over see this guy in Seattle?) He pissed off Javon Walker so he left.

Chris Mortenson reported today Favre is leaning toward coming back, as he thinks the team is possible in the playoffs next year. Really?

How do you explain the losses to the Bears, Jets and Patriots and throw in the Eagles, too? They beat up on some lousy teams in December and the Bears let them do a walkover in a meaningless game.

The schedule next year is tough. We'll see whether the Reign of Terror will produce anything, or we will have another year of "Cub-itis"...i.e., 'WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR".

Genius Ted better "rebuild" in a hurry. He has three years left and McCarthy has 2.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff you forgot to mention the standard excuse uttered by the "we need a change" crowd: Mike Sherman ruined the team. TT came in and said they had no "core talent"(a lie), so HE would oversee the overhaul of the team and build 'CORE' talent.

So far, he's landed one All-Star(Hawk-no brainer), one free agent off the scrap heap(Woodson-only after severe goading by fans and other managers) and a couple of o-linemen.

He also re-signed Kampman.

Never mentioned by the ROTTT(Reign of Ted Thompson Terror) apologists are: the 2005 draft which has produced little outside of maybe Poppinga, including the #1 pick. Marquand Manuel(didn't Ted over see this guy in Seattle?) He pissed off Javon Walker so he left.

Chris Mortenson reported today Favre is leaning toward coming back, as he thinks the team is possible in the playoffs next year. Really?

How do you explain the losses to the Bears, Jets and Patriots and throw in the Eagles, too? They beat up on some lousy teams in December and the Bears let them do a walkover in a meaningless game.

The schedule next year is tough. We'll see whether the Reign of Terror will produce anything, or we will have another year of "Cub-itis"...i.e., 'WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR".

Genius Ted better "rebuild" in a hurry. He has three years left and McCarthy has 2.

Thank God Mike Sherman is gone. :thumbsup:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, it DOES take time to build a decent team. We as fans want it all NOW of course, but it does take time.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunatly, it DOES take time to build a decent team. We as fans want it all NOW of course, but it does take time.

Personally IMO the Mike Sherman/Ted Thompson discussion is so over and done with that I just have fun with people anymore about it...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Personally IMO the Mike Sherman/Ted Thompson discussion is so over and done with that I just have fun with people anymore about it...
It is over as far as i'm concerned too. Sherman is gone, and we still have to see if TT can do what he needs to do to get GB back to where we, and i'm sure he wants.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
cheesey said:

It is over as far as i'm concerned too. Sherman is gone, and we still have to see if TT can do what he needs to do to get GB back to where we, and i'm sure he wants.

I agree. TT still has a lot to prove as does MM.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Unfortunately, it DOES take time to build a decent team. We as fans want it all NOW of course, but it does take time.

Except if your the New Orleans Saints.
They got to draft Bush, made a GREAT pick up in Brees, and drafted Colston.
Brees had shoulder trouble, and could have bombed. It was a chance they took, and it worked. Fact is though, they are sitting home watching the SB on TV just like the Packers are.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:
Unfortunately, it DOES take time to build a decent team. We as fans want it all NOW of course, but it does take time.

Brees had shoulder trouble, and could have bombed. It was a chance they took, and it worked. Fact is though, they are sitting home watching the SB on TV just like the Packers are.

How true that is, but I would rather be watching it just coming off the NFC championship game. They are closer than the Packers are to the SB, but they didn't do a major overhaul like the Packers are right now. All in all Sean Payton did a great job, but no one knows wether or not he could have duplicated that success here or anywhere else that was open for a HC spot.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
cheesey said:

Well where does Ted Thompson want Green Bay to be? We have heard he wants to build his team via the draft but we haven't heard anything about where he wants to bring this team.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Cory said:
cheesey said:

Well where does Ted Thompson want Green Bay to be? We have heard he wants to build his team via the draft but we haven't heard anything about where he wants to bring this team.

Personally, I think his plan is to keep the team mediocre for the next year or two and then get fired. Where do you think he wants GB to be?

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's kind of like saying........"If you want to win, you have to score more points then the other team!"
I think whoever wrote that needed to fill some space on a page, and couldn't come up with anything better.

Really, I'm sorry cheesey that the post is a little above your mentality.

Maybe a genius like you can answer a very simple question. Name another NFL team who'se new GM went 12-20 in his first 2 seasons and then made a comback to be successful?

I didn't think so...

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Maybe a genius like you can answer a very simple question. Name another NFL team who'se new GM went 12-20 in his first 2 seasons and then made a comback to be successful?

I didn't think so...

There are plenty of stories out there about GMs actually BUILDING teams if that is what you're asking because that is what TT is attempting to do is build for the future.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
cheesey said:
Cory said:
cheesey said:

Personally, I think his plan is to keep the team mediocre for the next year or two and then get fired. Where do you think he wants GB to be?

Cory, could you provide a link quoting Ted Thomspson on where he wants the Packers to be in the near future?

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Cliff said:
cheesey said:
Cory said:
cheesey said:

Cory, could you provide a link quoting Ted Thomspson on where he wants the Packers to be in the near future?

What do you think TT wants? That seems to be what this is predicated on...

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
cheesey said:

I didn't think so...

There are plenty of stories out there about GMs actually BUILDING teams if that is what you're asking because that is what TT is attempting to do is build for the future.

GM replacement's in the NFL don't go 12-20 their 1st two seasons then turn it around to succeed. It just doesn't happen!

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
Cliff said:
cheesey said:

I didn't think so...

GM replacement's in the NFL don't go 12-20 their 1st two season then turn it around to succeed. It just doesn't happen!

What does the term "GM replacement" even mean? So from 4-12 to 8-8 and a coaching change you don't see any progress or improvement? Btw I suggest you go look up some of the all time greats what their first few years records were....

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:
Cory said:
Cliff said:
cheesey said:

I didn't think so...

GM replacement's in the NFL don't go 12-20 their 1st two season then turn it around to succeed. It just doesn't happen!

What does the term "GM replacement" even mean? So from 4-12 to 8-8 and a coaching change you don't see any progress or improvement? Btw I suggest you go look up some of the all time greats what their first few years records were....

C'mon Cory, like Ted Thompson replacing Mike Sherman as GM. Name another situation in the NFL where the new GM went 12-20 then turned it around?

8-8 with one win vs a winning team who had already cliched HFA and had absolutely nothing to play for.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Brees had shoulder trouble, and could have bombed. It was a chance they took, and it worked. Fact is though, they are sitting home watching the SB on TV just like the Packers are.[/quote]

Was Bush that big of a factor in their wins? I don't think he 'won' that many more games for the Saints than Hawk did for the Packers.
We could have picked up Brees(well, lemme think about that, Brees didnt wanna be a backup an we have 1st rd pick invested in Rodgers, i doubt he'd have came here, nix that), and could have drafted Colston.

The Saints turned their roster over big time this past year. As did the Packers.

Both are at home now, yes. Let me ask you this, which team has a more promising future? Hint, not the Packers :( (im not saying the packers dont have a promsing future, they do, im saying its just not as promising at the saints at this point in time)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
C'mon Cory, like Ted Thompson replacing Mike Sherman as GM. Name another situation in the NFL where the new GM went 12-20 then turned it around?

8-8 with one win vs a winning team who had already cliched HFA and had absolutely nothing to play for.

How far back can Cory look? 10 years? 20? 30? 40?

This would be fun to dig up, if it was actually meaningful, which its not. Too many variables involved.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hell under Mike Sherman the year prior we couldn't even beat a team with a losing record. Let me ask you...how were we to improve after 2004?

Members online

Latest posts