Packers must keep 6 Wr on the 53

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good for you brother just watch and learn.
IMO your “logic” in the OP fails. If ‘this’, you have to believe ‘that’ is nonsense. And the Packers don't have to keep 6 WRs.
Actually, the scout did not say Montgomery would the next Cobb, and that was clearly not my intent in quoting said scout.
You may have quoted my post by mistake. I was responding to the OP and you hadn't posted on this thread when I made my post.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The issue isn't keeping all of them...the issue is keeping your favorite. I think it was pretty clear Janis ended up on the roster, not the PS, for this reason.

I would think the issue would be keeping your best unless you meant the coaches favorite one is the best one. I think Janis made the roster rather than the PS because A) Abby got hurt (Janis may have still beat him out for the spot but it certainly didn't hurt) B) he showed more then White or any of the others did. Unfortunately for him (Janis) I don't think he took advantage of his opportunity.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone think that Montgomery may end up being classified as the third RB?
One of the NFL Network radio analysts commented that he reminds him of
Shane Vereen and in addition to lining up in the slot, expects him to be a
Receiving threat out of the backfield.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone think that Montgomery may end up being classified as the third RB?
One of the NFL Network radio analysts commented that he reminds him of
Shane Vereen and in addition to lining up in the slot, expects him to be a
Receiving threat out of the backfield.
I think there is a very real possibility he could fill dual roles as both a WR and RB in a limited way. I see him initially as kind of a swiss army knife guy.

H

HardRightEdge

You may have quoted my post by mistake. I was responding to the OP and you hadn't posted on this thread when I made my post.
I got that.

I quoted that scout a couple of times recently before this thread was created, in the context I'm repeating here. I'm making it clear that my opinion should not be confused with the one expressed in the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Good for you brother just watch and learn. Adams is a smooth route runner in the Jennings mold. Janis is a big fast athletic player in the Nelson mold. And Montgomery is a jack of all trades player in the Cobb mold. No they don't have to emulate a player to be success but clearly tt likes to draft certain types of wrs

Well, Adams had a decent rookie campaign and I expect him to develop into a nice wideout for the Packers. Janis and Montgomery, while having intriguing athletic traits, haven´t done anything so far to get excited about. It´s probable Janis won´t see the field this season again if the top three stay healthy and Montgomery will most likely be the primary kick returner and get involved on some screens and hitches but the Packers won´t use him a lot as a traditional receiver.

Actually, the scout did not say Montgomery would the next Cobb, and that was clearly not my intent in quoting said scout. I took his meaning to be that he fits that player profile, but bigger. I'd be the last guy to anoint any rookie a future Pro Bowler, and I would surmise any scout would be similarly reserved.

On thing is sure...nobody on this roster after Cobb and Montgomery fits the slot receiver profile unless you want to toss Nelson back in there on a regular basis, and that's not going to happen.

As I've said, several times in fact, the logic behind Montgomery being a strong #4 candidate hinges on getting the best players at the wideout position in the event of an injury to Nelson or Adams...and that would be Cobb. Montgomery looks and shows on tape as more of a slot guy than anybody else you can name on this roster.

Whether that materializes remains to be seen. But we start with the knowns and make our conjectures until the facts lead us elsewhere.

Myles White is actually best suited to play in the slot as well. I get that people aren´t as high one him as about other receivers but I think he has a chance to make the roster.

Anyone think that Montgomery may end up being classified as the third RB? One of the NFL Network radio analysts commented that he reminds him of Shane Vereen and in addition to lining up in the slot, expects him to be a Receiving threat out of the backfield.

I think the Packers will keep three running backs on the roster but I expect them to line up Montgomery in the back field occasionally.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Packers will keep three running backs on the roster but I expect them to line up Montgomery in the back field occasionally.
My guess before the first OTA practice is that the 3rd RB snaps will be taken by a combination of Kuhn, Cobb, & Montgomery. Two rbs may be on the PS if Starks maintains the #2 slot. Frees up a 2nd FB or 6th WR position.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery are locks. I think Janis has to be number 4 or 5 with his combination of size speed and strength. If The team envisions Montgomery as the next Cobb in 4 years you have to believe they envision Janis as the next Nelson. Adams is on his way to being the next Jennings. So that leaves Abby, and Adrian Coxson to battle for the 6th spot on the 53. Idk if Abby is strong enough to play in the league and it seems he may have a better chance of passing through waivers and onto the practice squad. Coxson has good size and 4.3 speed which would immediately put him next to Sam shields as the fastest player on the team. Seems like he has the will to succeed as well. If I had to bet on who takes that last spot on the 53 I'd put my money on Coxson. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Montgomery, and Coxson would give the packers perhaps their best corps since cobbs rookie year when it was Jones, Jennings, Driver, Nelson. It seems thenPackers once again will have the best Wr room in the NFL from top to bottom.
If they keep 3 QBs and 2 FBs, which seems likely, I think they'll go with 5 WRs. If that's the case I think you have the top 5 correct. I would like to see a 6th, a very fast guy who can spread a secondary. Maybe White or Coxson. And either would be valuable on STs. If Abbrederis recovers fully and is still fast he could be the guy. I don't see that happening though.

D

Deleted member 6794

If they keep 3 QBs and 2 FBs, which seems likely, I think they'll go with 5 WRs. If that's the case I think you have the top 5 correct. I would like to see a 6th, a very fast guy who can spread a secondary. Maybe White or Coxson. And either would be valuable on STs. If Abbrederis recovers fully and is still fast he could be the guy. I don't see that happening though.

If Janis makes the opening week roster there´s no reason to keep another fast receiver to spread out a secondary on the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

I think you have to look at FB/TE as a group. While that's been McCarthy's view in the past particularly with respect to special teams, it's not panned out in the offense because the H-back candidates (e.g., Taylor, Quarless, Rodgers) haven't proved to be effective backfield blockers, while also being only serviceable or worse in-line.

If nothing else, the H-back concept is attractive in freeing up a roster spot.

There is a possibility that Ripkowski can fill a quasi-H-back role...FB, in-line blocker in 7-man line duty, special teams.

The Packers carried 1 FB / 3 TE for the bulk of last season, with Bostick playing special teams almost exclusively while drawing a mere 4 targets. Perillo was promoted in November with 2 games played and no targets.

I could envision a scenario where the Packers carry the two FBs, Quarless and Rodgers, while Perillo and/or one the rookies goes to PS if Ripkowki can demonstrate in-line blocking ability, while also filling some or all of Bostick's special teams roles.

Who knows...Ripkowski might even prove to be a serviceable on a few pass targets and worthy of a "hands" ST role...the role that got Bostick fired.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
My guess before the first OTA practice is that the 3rd RB snaps will be taken by a combination of Kuhn, Cobb, & Montgomery. Two rbs may be on the PS if Starks maintains the #2 slot. Frees up a 2nd FB or 6th WR position.
After Lacy and Starks, I’ll bet Rajion Neal, John Crockett, and Alonzo Harris get the snaps at RB. I'll bet Kuhn gets snaps at FB along with Ripkowski and I'll bet Cobb and Montgomery, when he gets to OTAs, will get snaps at WR. (Radical ideas, I know. ;))

H

HardRightEdge

If Janis makes the opening week roster there´s no reason to keep another fast receiver to spread out a secondary on the roster.
I would draw a parallel to the DB situation in thinking 6 WRs is a possibility.

In the bread and butter nickel defense, there are 6 experienced players, all decent or better in one or more roles, even if Richardson is limited. Two high picks are the injury insurance or better.

In the bread and butter 3-wide offense, there are 3 quality starters with the backups having little or no experience, with the #5 options each being a low pick or UDFA carrying some question marks as to how they'd perform in money games.

From the perspective of competition, it doesn't end in preseason, and "next man up" isn't simply a shifting up of the depth chart when an injury occurs. We've seen Jones benched multiple games in the past after running a bad route and dropping a couple of balls. We've seen Bush installed as the opening day cover corner and then bounced out in short order.

In an injury situation, the first "next man up" might not cut it when the bright lights are turned on and the "next next man up" gets his shot.

Given that a 5 man group provides such little backup experience and less than robust resumes in one case, having only 2 in the injury-replacement numbers game may not be sufficient. The issue is particularly acute at wideout if the Packers are not of mind to move Cobb out of the slot role if Nelson or Adams were to go down. Then it's #5 or broke if Montgomery is the slot receiver we think he is.

Further, if the 5 and 6 guys happen to be Janis and White (or White and Janis), for example, White has no PS eligibility as you pointed out earlier and Janis would be a risk of being signed away off PS which was the logic behind keeping him on the active roster last season. All it would take is some team losing it's KO returner to take a shot at Janis with the stretch-the-field option as a kicker. In other words, putting him on practice squad presents the same risk as Charles Johnson.

The best case for a 5 man group is the organization not having a favorite for #6...in other words a guy they've concluded is not regular-snap material, such releasing White, sending Janis to PS because they've gone cold on him, and/or Abbrederis is still working off his injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as WR's go, i'm interested in seeing what Ricky Collins does as an undrafted free agent, he is an explosive good player, I bet he makes the practice squad and gives some of the lower guys trouble.

King of Jeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is pretty off topic but I just want to mention that I hope to see more plays with cobb / monty in the backfield

H

HardRightEdge

If "Monty" played QB in wildcat, would that make him Field Marshall Montgomery?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers carried 1 FB / 3 TE for the bulk of last season, with Bostick playing special teams almost exclusively while drawing a mere 4 targets. Perillo was promoted in November with 2 games played and no targets.

The Packers started the 2014 season with four tight ends on the roster with Ryan Taylor getting a total of 10 snaps before being released after week 5. The team promoted Perillo before week 11 so they actually had a combined four TE/FB on the roster for only four games.

I would draw a parallel to the DB situation in thinking 6 WRs is a possibility.

In the bread and butter nickel defense, there are 6 experienced players, all decent or better in one or more roles, even if Richardson is limited. Two high picks are the injury insurance or better.

In the bread and butter 3-wide offense, there are 3 quality starters with the backups having little or no experience, with the #5 options each being a low pick or UDFA carrying some question marks as to how they'd perform in money games.

From the perspective of competition, it doesn't end in preseason, and "next man up" isn't simply a shifting up of the depth chart when an injury occurs. We've seen Jones benched multiple games in the past after running a bad route and dropping a couple of balls. We've seen Bush installed as the opening day cover corner and then bounced out in short order.

In an injury situation, the first "next man up" might not cut it when the bright lights are turned on and the "next next man up" gets his shot.

Given that a 5 man group provides such little backup experience and less than robust resumes in one case, having only 2 in the injury-replacement numbers game may not be sufficient. The issue is particularly acute at wideout if the Packers are not of mind to move Cobb out of the slot role if Nelson or Adams were to go down. Then it's #5 or broke if Montgomery is the slot receiver we think he is.

Further, if the 5 and 6 guys happen to be Janis and White (or White and Janis), for example, White has no PS eligibility as you pointed out earlier and Janis would be a risk of being signed away off PS which was the logic behind keeping him on the active roster last season. All it would take is some team losing it's KO returner to take a shot at Janis with the stretch-the-field option as a kicker. In other words, putting him on practice squad presents the same risk as Charles Johnson.

The best case for a 5 man group is the organization not having a favorite for #6...in other words a guy they've concluded is not regular-snap material, such releasing White, sending Janis to PS because they've gone cold on him, and/or Abbrederis is still working off his injury.

I get the concern about one of the starting receivers getting injured but as I posted before there's way more uncertainty at other positions so I don't see the need to keep six WRs on the roster. The Packers had only four receivers on the active game day roster most of the time last season and did absolutely fine. I expect the team to keep several guys on the practice squad at the position though.

this is pretty off topic but I just want to mention that I hope to see more plays with cobb / monty in the backfield

I think the Packers will use Montgomery out of the backfield occasionally which could result in Cobb not getting a lot of snaps there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts