Packers must keep 6 Wr on the 53

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery are locks. I think Janis has to be number 4 or 5 with his combination of size speed and strength. If The team envisions Montgomery as the next Cobb in 4 years you have to believe they envision Janis as the next Nelson. Adams is on his way to being the next Jennings. So that leaves Abby, and Adrian Coxson to battle for the 6th spot on the 53. Idk if Abby is strong enough to play in the league and it seems he may have a better chance of passing through waivers and onto the practice squad. Coxson has good size and 4.3 speed which would immediately put him next to Sam shields as the fastest player on the team. Seems like he has the will to succeed as well. If I had to bet on who takes that last spot on the 53 I'd put my money on Coxson. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Montgomery, and Coxson would give the packers perhaps their best corps since cobbs rookie year when it was Jones, Jennings, Driver, Nelson. It seems thenPackers once again will have the best Wr room in the NFL from top to bottom.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing we can all agree on, is that Thompson has an eye for WR's. So it wont shock me, nor should it for anyone else, if someone like Coxson comes out of nowhere and makes the 53.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the top 5 will make it, I dont know about carrying 6 on the roster...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have to keep six, but they might.

Then again, they might not.

Consider the possibility that they may have to keep three quarterbacks. Would you risk putting your 5th round draft pick on the practice squad, where anybody could pluck him off?

Consider the possibility that they keep two fullbacks instead of one this year. Again, they spent a draft pick on one.

Consider all the uncertainty at linebacker, especially inside linebacker, and that perhaps the Packers may try and substitute quantity for quality at the position and keep an extra one.

They might keep six WR's on the 53, but I wouldn't bet on it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I foresee Abb getting cut and us trying to hide a 6th on the practice squad we feel may be a future 3rd-5th option.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nelson, Cobb, Adams, and Montgomery are locks. I think Janis has to be number 4 or 5 with his combination of size speed and strength. If The team envisions Montgomery as the next Cobb in 4 years you have to believe they envision Janis as the next Nelson. Adams is on his way to being the next Jennings. So that leaves Abby, and Adrian Coxson to battle for the 6th spot on the 53. Idk if Abby is strong enough to play in the league and it seems he may have a better chance of passing through waivers and onto the practice squad. Coxson has good size and 4.3 speed which would immediately put him next to Sam shields as the fastest player on the team. Seems like he has the will to succeed as well. If I had to bet on who takes that last spot on the 53 I'd put my money on Coxson. Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Janis, Montgomery, and Coxson would give the packers perhaps their best corps since cobbs rookie year when it was Jones, Jennings, Driver, Nelson. It seems thenPackers once again will have the best Wr room in the NFL from top to bottom.

First of all I´m really surprised to see how many posters already appoint Janis and Montgomery as the successors of Nelson and Cobb after they have played a combined 15 regular season snaps.

With the three starters set in stone going into the 2015 season and way more uncertainty at several positions on defense I would actually be surprised if the Packers keep six receiver on the 53.

BTW Coxson ran a 4.47 40 yard dash at his pro day.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO saying the Packers must keep 6 WRs on the 53 is incorrect. Saying the team envisions Montgomery as the next Cobb is incorrect (one scout mentioned it). Saying if that were the case you have to believe that relates somehow to Janis being the next Nelson is incorrect. I’m not sure what is meant by “Adams is on his way to being the next Jennings” means and disagree with the general notion in the OP that WRs or any players have to emulate a player on the roster – or former player – to be successful.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they have to keep six, but they might.

Then again, they might not.

Consider the possibility that they may have to keep three quarterbacks. Would you risk putting your 5th round draft pick on the practice squad, where anybody could pluck him off?

Consider the possibility that they keep two fullbacks instead of one this year. Again, they spent a draft pick on one.

Consider all the uncertainty at linebacker, especially inside linebacker, and that perhaps the Packers may try and substitute quantity for quality at the position and keep an extra one.

They might keep six WR's on the 53, but I wouldn't bet on it.

They're keeping 3 QBs unless Hundley completely outplays Tolzien. They wont cut Hundley period. He's on the 53. They traded up to get him and he has about the same chance as I have of hitting the powerball as he does clearin waivers for the PS.

Unless Kuhn falls off a cliff smart moneys on Ripkowski hitting the PS. Hard to see a team going to the back of the line on waivers for a FB. He seems destined to spend his rookie year on the PS.

But yes I could definatley see them only keepin 5 WRs. I could also see them listing Montgomery as the #3RB also to make room for anyone that steps up In camp but then again im not high on him as a WR.

Coxson is hitting the PS though. I'd put money on that. Keeping 6 WRs really depenx on BOTH Janis and Abbredariss having strong showings in camp otherwise if only one shines or niether do then it'll be 5 with the number five being White. As stated earlier that extra roster spot will be used at QB.

Still though. I dont understand how people can think we're deep at WR. Great at #s1-3 yes. After that we have exactly zero guys who have done anything of note at the pro level

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're keeping 3 QBs unless Hundley completely outplays Tolzien. They wont cut Hundley period. He's on the 53. They traded up to get him and he has about the same chance as I have of hitting the powerball as he does clearin waivers for the PS.

Unless Kuhn falls off a cliff smart moneys on Ripkowski hitting the PS. Hard to see a team going to the back of the line on waivers for a FB. He seems destined to spend his rookie year on the PS.

But yes I could definatley see them only keepin 5 WRs. I could also see them listing Montgomery as the #3RB also to make room for anyone that steps up In camp but then again im not high on him as a WR.

Coxson is hitting the PS though. I'd put money on that. Keeping 6 WRs really depenx on BOTH Janis and Abbredariss having strong showings in camp otherwise if only one shines or niether do then it'll be 5 with the number five being White. As stated earlier that extra roster spot will be used at QB.

Still though. I dont understand how people can think we're deep at WR. Great at #s1-3 yes. After that we have exactly zero guys who have done anything of note at the pro level

You have to figure that, barring injury, Montgomery is a lock to make the final 53. After that there's a bunch of guys battling for likely one, possibly two positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the Packers not having a great blocker at TE I expect them to keep Ripkowski on the active roster.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Js
First of all I´m really surprised to see how many posters already appoint Janis and Montgomery as the successors of Nelson and Cobb after they have played a combined 15 regular season snaps.

With the three starters set in stone going into the 2015 season and way more uncertainty at several positions on defense I would actually be surprised if the Packers keep six receiver on the 53.

BTW Coxson ran a 4.47 40 yard dash at his pro day.

Jsonline article said he ran a 4.30, same article in which ismail says he sees Coxson as a combination of Owens and boldin. The word I used was the team envisions Montgomery and Janis as the next Cobb and Nelson. Packers scout one who said Montgomery a bigger Cobb. And no did not compare Janis and Nelson because they white but because they both 6-3 215ish and Janis could develop into a similar player all be it one with a bit more speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the #3 rb will battle the #5&6 wr, the #3&4 te, & the #2 fb for 3 roster spots.

I expect the Packers to keep three running backs, five receivers and a combined five tight ends and fullbacks on the 53.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jsonline article said he ran a 4.30, same article in which ismail says he sees Coxson as a combination of Owens and boldin. The word I used was the team envisions Montgomery and Janis as the next Cobb and Nelson. Packers scout one who said Montgomery a bigger Cobb. And no did not compare Janis and Nelson because they white but because they both 6-3 215ish and Janis could develop into a similar player all be it one with a bit more speed.

According to NFL Draft Scout Coxson ran a 4.47 but there are other reports with his time ranging from 4.28 to 4.42. I think it´s stupid to compare him to Boldin, who ran a 4.7 and has had success in the NFL because he is a terrific route runner and a physical receiver.

I´m not intrigued by Montgomery as a traditional receiver and Janis hasn´t been able to get on the field during his rookie season. Nelson and Cobb became the first receiver duo in NFL history to have at least 90 receptions, more than 1,200 receiving yards and 12+ TDs last season, so I think even mentioning Montgomery and Janis in the same breath is ridiculous as of now.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We likely won't keep five WRs. It's a deep position for us and one that we excel and finding talent, so we don't need to squirrel away players on the 53. Toss the 6th WR on the PS if they clear waivers. If not, we will find another.

I would have the opposite opinion about a fringe player on the DL or ILB positions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We likely won't keep five WRs. It's a deep position for us and one that we excel and finding talent, so we don't need to squirrel away players on the 53. Toss the 6th WR on the PS if they clear waivers. If not, we will find another.

I would have the opposite opinion about a fringe player on the DL or ILB positions.
I don't think there's anyway we only go with 4 WR's on the roster. I think you meant to say we will likely keep 5, not won't?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good analysis - although Janis and Montgomery can't be assumed to be the next Nelson and Cobb. I hope so but its too early

I like Coxson because of his speed. They need a speedy deep threat to spread the secondary. Nelson makes amazing plays after the catch, but he won't outrun many CBs. I think the injury Abbrederis suffered will impact his speed. I hope that's not true, but a torn ACL is a big deal.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are going overboard taking the comparisons too literally. Obviously nobody on earth believes Monty is half the player Cobb is right now, or Janis is Nelson, or Adams is Jennings. But with the way our team grooms wrs, what we like in our wrs, and the versatility and interchangeability that our team loves, they have the tools to be successful and a future very productive group of players for us. people love comparisons because it adds a degree of familiarity and understanding. So lets calm down, I doubt anyone in here is stupid enough to believe we have guaranteed pro bowlers and bonafide pair of top 10 wrs at 4 & 5 on our depth chart right now.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I like Coxson because of his speed. They need a speedy deep threat to spread the secondary.
Why? They have done fine the past few years without a true speed demon. Just because you're fast doesn't mean you can get open or force the defense to change their call.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I think the only way the Packers keep 5 instead of 6 is if Montgomery is perceived as the real deal in the slot while Cobb is perceived as being capable of high production at wideout in the event of an injury to Nelson or Adams.

Even then, they might still keep 6. The candidates for 4, 5, 6 are have little or no NFL experience. Or if the #6 either does not have PS eligibility or is viewed as at risk of some other team stealing him off PS (e.g., Janis last season). I discount special teams ability at #6...those guys never make the game day active roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the only way the Packers keep 5 instead of 6 is if Montgomery is perceived as the real deal in the slot while Cobb is perceived as being capable of high production at wideout in the event of an injury to Nelson or Adams.

Even then, they might still keep 6. The candidates for 4, 5, 6 are have little or no NFL experience. Or if the #6 either does not have PS eligibility or is viewed as at risk of some other team stealing him off PS (e.g., Janis last season). I discount special teams ability at #6...those guys never make the game day active roster.

I would be surprised if the Packers keep six receivers on the roster as even the fourth WR on the depth chart won't see a lot of playing time as long as Nelson, Cobb and Adams stay healthy.

Myles White is the only one not eligible for the practice squad. It's possible other teams would pick up some of the guys from the PS but you can't keep them all.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO saying the Packers must keep 6 WRs on the 53 is incorrect. Saying the team envisions Montgomery as the next Cobb is incorrect (one scout mentioned it). Saying if that were the case you have to believe that relates somehow to Janis being the next Nelson is incorrect. I’m not sure what is meant by “Adams is on his way to being the next Jennings” means and disagree with the general notion in the OP that WRs or any players have to emulate a player on the roster – or former player – to be successful.

Good for you brother just watch and learn. Adams is a smooth route runner in the Jennings mold. Janis is a big fast athletic player in the Nelson mold. And Montgomery is a jack of all trades player in the Cobb mold. No they don't have to emulate a player to be success but clearly tt likes to draft certain types of wrs

H

HardRightEdge

Actually, the scout did not say Montgomery would the next Cobb, and that was clearly not my intent in quoting said scout. I took his meaning to be that he fits that player profile, but bigger. I'd be the last guy to anoint any rookie a future Pro Bowler, and I would surmise any scout would be similarly reserved.

On thing is sure...nobody on this roster after Cobb and Montgomery fits the slot receiver profile unless you want to toss Nelson back in there on a regular basis, and that's not going to happen.

As I've said, several times in fact, the logic behind Montgomery being a strong #4 candidate hinges on getting the best players at the wideout position in the event of an injury to Nelson or Adams...and that would be Cobb. Montgomery looks and shows on tape as more of a slot guy than anybody else you can name on this roster.

Whether that materializes remains to be seen. But we start with the knowns and make our conjectures until the facts lead us elsewhere.

H

HardRightEdge

Myles White is the only one not eligible for the practice squad. It's possible other teams would pick up some of the guys from the PS but you can't keep them all.
The issue isn't keeping all of them...the issue is keeping your favorite. I think it was pretty clear Janis ended up on the roster, not the PS, for this reason.

Members online

Latest posts