Packers Mt Rushmore Poll

M

mayo44

Can't have Nitschke over Starr. Other than that, perfect.
Wish we could have 6, adding Reggie & Nitscke.

I would disagree because the defense needs to be represented. I think Curley is non-negotiable as an owner/player/coach. Then you need our greatest coach, our greatest offensive player and our greatest defensive player.
I go with Hutson over Starr because Hutson changed how the WR position was played just like how Sammy Baugh completely changed the QB position. Lombardi is mandatory just like Lambeau, and defense comes down to Nitschke or White and since Nitschke put in more years in what is otherwise a toss-up, he gets the nod. That's how I came up with mine.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would disagree because the defense needs to be represented. I think Curley is non-negotiable as an owner/player/coach. Then you need our greatest coach, our greatest offensive player and our greatest defensive player.
I go with Hutson over Starr because Hutson changed how the WR position was played just like how Sammy Baugh completely changed the QB position. Lombardi is mandatory just like Lambeau, and defense comes down to Nitschke or White and since Nitschke put in more years in what is otherwise a toss-up, he gets the nod. That's how I came up with mine.
Fair enough.
Reggie was THE most important person to our 1996 & 1997 Super Bowl seasons, but you're right, Nitschke was great longer in green n gold.

I guess Hutson's numbers speak for themselves, but who was he playing against back then?
Were there even African-Americans allowed in the league back then?
Donald's big smile would look awfully good on Mt Rushmore. Our all-time leading receiver. I know he's not even Canton bound, but he's our all-time leading receiver and played 31 teams and not 5 or so, and played against the best athletes.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough.
Reggie was THE most important person to our 1996 & 1997 Super Bowl seasons, but you're right, Nitschke was great longer in green n gold.

I guess Hutson's numbers speak for themselves, but who was he playing against back then?
Were there even African-Americans allowed in the league back then?
Donald's big smile would look awfully good on Mt Rushmore. Our all-time leading receiver. I know he's not even Canton bound, but he's our all-time leading receiver and played 31 teams and not 5 or so, and played against the best athletes.

Hutson is considered by some football historians as the greatest player in nfl history. I am amazed at the willingness of packer fans to dismiss Hutson and his contributions so quickly.

Argue about race or number of teams, bottom line is don Hutson is the most dominate player in nfl history

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hutson is considered by some football historians as the greatest player in nfl history. I am amazed at the willingness of packer fans to dismiss Hutson and his contributions so quickly.

Argue about race or number of teams, bottom line is don Hutson is the most dominate player in nfl history
And even though the level of competition was just a fraction of what it is today, that's surely something to be proud of.
Compared who he played against back then, he was head & shoulders above the others on the gridiron back then.
Clearly something to be proud of, despite a league of only 6 teams and only white guys allowed back then.

I still think Lofton & Sterling would beat him out if all in their prime today, but that's another discussion. Hutson fared extremely well back in his day against CB's who nowadays wouldn't even be allowed to play CB in the NFL.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And even though the level of competition was just a fraction of what it is today, that's surely something to be proud of.
Compared who he played against back then, he was head & shoulders above the others on the gridiron back then.
Clearly something to be proud of, despite a league of only 6 teams and only white guys allowed back then.

I still think Lofton & Sterling would beat him out if all in their prime today, but that's another discussion. Hutson fared extremely well back in his day against CB's who nowadays wouldn't even be allowed to play CB in the NFL.

You're right they wouldn't be allowed to play in the league bc they would have been thrown out for mugging players. Pass interference? Didn't exist.

If it was so easy why didn't someone make another don Hutson? Instead the WR position lived in his shadow for 60 years.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right they wouldn't be allowed to play in the league bc they would have been thrown out for mugging players. Pass interference? Didn't exist.

If it was so easy why didn't someone make another don Hutson? Instead the WR position lived in his shadow for 60 years.
Never said it was easy, just that he wasn't going against anyone who looks like Deion Sanders, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, even Ahmad Carroll.

And I believe 100% if you put today's Donald Driver or Sterling Sharpe or James Lofton or Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb or James Jones back in Hutson's shoes back then, that they also would have dominated, even more, back against that level of competition. Those guys at CB back then would not make rosters in today's NFL.

Now very true, Hutson was by far the best at his position back then, at that time. No question about it!!!!! He was ahead of his time.

But I believe today's players are better.
Kind of reminds me of this old Scotty Pippen commercial.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said it was easy, just that he wasn't going against anyone who looks like Deion Sanders, Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, even Ahmad Carroll.

And I believe 100% if you put today's Donald Driver or Sterling Sharpe or James Lofton or Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb or James Jones back in Hutson's shoes back then, that they also would have dominated, even more, back against that level of competition. Those guys at CB back then would not make rosters in today's NFL.

Now very true, Hutson was by far the best at his position back then, at that time. No question about it!!!!! He was ahead of his time.

But I believe today's players are better.
Kind of reminds me of this old Scotty Pippen commercial.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Deion wouldn't have lasted. He didn't like contact.

Didn't even mention Hutson leading the league in ints

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Who in today's NFL would you compare Hutson to, skill, size, speed wise?
No one. No one player can do what he did. Since no one player in todays game plays both WR and DB. People forget that Hutson played defense as well as offense. He had 30 interception from 1940-45. Yup, players today are much better than 70 years ago.

grignon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted for
Lambeau: founder and first great leader
Hutson: Game changer
Lombardi: Savior
Reggie: First big name free agent -his choosing the Packers made them relevant again (Especially to black players) and paved the way for all the others who've contributed to the resurgence-Santana Dotson, Keith Jackson, Al Harris, Charles Woodson

Members online

Latest posts