Packers' McCarthy says he'll make changes

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing solid here.

I don't why they ask about coach firings, it's always the same. Oh well, at least the 49ers will be a more comparable team than the Jets, Seahawks, or Patriots.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well sounds like he wants to make some changes after the season is over. Bob Sanders could be coaching for his job right now. Assuming he gets fired I hope McCarthy replaces him with a well known and well respected guy and someone who's been coordinator before.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, he had better be looking at all options. I do not think we can pin all of the defensive and offensive failures on coaching, although this will need to be addressed at the end of the season.

I would like to see Alcorn(TE), Hunter(DE), Bigby, Peprah and Bush(DB) get a look, as well as maybe more out of Jolly.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that, umair.

Interesting, but at the end of the day I don't know what MM is saying. "Changes will be made" is, I think, rather more the journalist's take - MM seems to be saying that things need to get better, but that he doesn't have the means to do much.

We are not deep, and we are young. Painful as it is, you can only gain experience by playing - even in games like vs the Pats and the Jets. And of course MM himself is inexperienced.

:twocents: We are about to discover if the Packers collectively - and their coaches and Head Coach in particular - have what it takes to turn this thing around.

I sure hope they do!

Chris

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"...But what McCarthy plans to do in response to his team's three-game losing streak - during which Green Bay has been outscored 107-34 - going into Sunday's game at San Francisco wasn't exactly clear.

"There's a method of making change to change. I don't think that's necessarily the best way to go," McCarthy said. "But you definitely need to evaluate everything. We're looking at some options."

* Does that mean firing assistant coaches?

"No, we're not changing coaches," McCarthy said. "We're in the middle of a job right now. We just finished the third quarter of our season. It's not gone very well, particularly the last three weeks, so we need to roll up our sleeves a little more, we need to get a little more dirty, we need to get things fixed. We've got work to do."

* Or benching some starters?

"Oh, I never said I was changing starters," McCarthy said. "It's about creating opportunities for people that deserve to have opportunities (created for them) and it's about (taking away) opportunities that (have been) created that people haven't taken full advantage of."

* How about changing the structure of practice?

"Nothing that I think that anybody would ever really notice," McCarthy said. "The structure will stay the same. We're still putting the pads on twice a week."

What that leaves as "options" is hard to say...."

Packers: The ugly, the ugly and the ugly

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Nothing solid here.

I don't why they ask about coach firings, it's always the same. Oh well, at least the 49ers will be a more comparable team than the Jets, Seahawks, or Patriots.

"Trust me, the coaches know exactly how I feel about their role in it and their responsibility to get this thing turned around," he said.

That's not solid? To me thats solid. To me thats in other words saying " Ive spoke with my staff an they know their jobs are on the line and if things dont get turned around they will be seeking employment elsewhere"

Guess thats just my take on it tho

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know how much the coaching issue has to do with coaches putting their feet up and not taking their jobs seriously (in which case a dressing down & threats of jobs on the line might help) or coaches who simply dont have the skill or experience required to perform their jobs as well as the best in the business (in which case intimidation is pointless, you simply need to find better coaching staff).

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well said, dxbfan. What options ARE left? Turning off the heat in the visitors locker room? Providing no more Gatorade for the enemy? Short-circuiting their head sets? Providing prostitutes to the opposition before game time? I have no love for Denny Green but he had the balls to replace his OC during the season. That's a plus for him. Somehow he got his team to go all out and beat the Rams in St. Louis. The Cards never quit even knowing that Green is a lame duck coach. There is character on that team. Somebody is bringing it out of them. Where is the guy who's pushing the Pack to get better? If Hawk, with his play, isn't enough to energize that group, who will? I pray that SOME positive changes are made soon or guys like Hawk & Poppinga will lose heart. That would be a crying shame.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know how much the coaching issue has to do with coaches putting their feet up and not taking their jobs seriously (in which case a dressing down & threats of jobs on the line might help) or coaches who simply dont have the skill or experience required to perform their jobs as well as the best in the business (in which case intimidation is pointless, you simply need to find better coaching staff).

It could be that what we are seeing is the result of a rookie HC with an offense orientated background and a rookie Defensive Coordinator that is getting schooled on gameday.

I'm wondering if MM shouldn't have gotten a more experienced guy in there that he could turn the "D" over to like when we had the Holmgren/Shermur combination. Holmgren was a new HC and offensive minded and he let the "old man" handle the other side of the ball.

I know they wanted Bates to stay and hoped Sanders could continue with what Bates brought in but my guess is we would hve been better off by this time of the year to have a real experience guy in there regardless of how much change it meant.

This is not a dig on Sanders but I think we would have been better off if with an established DC in this situation than one familiar with what we did last year.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right about players losing heart grampa.

"Players were careful not to criticize Sanders during locker-room interviews after Sunday's 38-10 loss.

Linebacker Nick Barnett, who has played for a different defensive coordinator in all four of his seasons with the Packers, avoided the question.

"This is one of those dividing questions where if I say the wrong thing, it splits the team," Barnett said when asked if the players believe in Sanders. "I just know we've got to execute better. The rest is for you guys to decide."

Sounds like Barnett is clear where he thinks the problem lies and its not just execution.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be that what we are seeing is the result of a rookie HC with an offense orientated background and a rookie Defensive Coordinator that is getting schooled on gameday.

I'm wondering if MM shouldn't have gotten a more experienced guy in there that he could turn the "D" over to like when we had the Holmgren/Shermur combination. Holmgren was a new HC and offensive minded and he let the "old man" handle the other side of the ball.

I know they wanted Bates to stay and hoped Sanders could continue with what Bates brought in but my guess is we would hve been better off by this time of the year to have a real experience guy in there regardless of how much change it meant.

This is not a dig on Sanders but I think we would have been better off if with an established DC in this situation than one familiar with what we did last year.

As I said in a post in another thread, it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that a team with a 2nd yr GM, rookie HC/OC/DC and starting 7 rookies is going to lack experience. Perhaps it does take rocket science for team management to figure out that there is no substitute for experience.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:
Nothing solid here.

"Trust me, the coaches know exactly how I feel about their role in it and their responsibility to get this thing turned around," he said.

That's not solid? To me thats solid. To me thats in other words saying " Ive spoke with my staff an they know their jobs are on the line and if things dont get turned around they will be seeking employment elsewhere"

Guess thats just my take on it tho

Yeah, but this is well known. I was looking for something new and more along the lines of what they would change with defensive schemes or formations to improve the team. Or bringing in new players from the bench to see what they could do. I got "We know we aren't doing well, and we need to change that" out of it. I guess I was looking for more specifics.

If a team has 8 wins in the last two years, you automatically assume personal changes will be made, especially in this day and age.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If a team has 8 wins in the last two years, you automatically assume personal changes will be made, especially in this day and age.

Changes have been made. 19 players are rookies or in their first year or second year. Something like that. The coaching staff was nearly redone from top to bottom.

How bout we let the changes have a CHANCE before we say start over?

I really think Packer fans are too greedy the more I read this forum. Fans may have come to expect 10+ wins a season forever! That just doesn't happen. Hell, Packer fans should know that after the 70s n 80s for crying out loud.

Give the team a realistic chance.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would he make any changes, since everything is going so well? "Stay the course" is what he said in his press conference:

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:

Changes have been made. 19 players are rookies or in their first year or second year. Something like that. The coaching staff was nearly redone from top to bottom.

How bout we let the changes have a CHANCE before we say start over?

I really think Packer fans are too greedy the more I read this forum. Fans may have come to expect 10+ wins a season forever! That just doesn't happen. Hell, Packer fans should know that after the 70s n 80s for crying out loud.

Give the team a realistic chance.

I am not saying fire MM, rather that is the public mentality of today's fans. Sheesh, I am just saying it is expected, not that I want it to happen. The only personal I want gone is Shottenheimer, who has proved all year he can't get anyone on the same page.

I actually like McCarthy and am giving him almost a free pass since he has never been a head coach before. Next year, though, I think he should be held accountable. But this year is a great learning experience for him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I am not saying fire MM, rather that is the public mentality of today's fans. Sheesh, I am just saying it is expected, not that I want it to happen. The only personal I want gone is Shottenheimer, who has proved all year he can't get anyone on the same page.

I actually like McCarthy and am giving him almost a free pass since he has never been a head coach before. Next year, though, I think he should be held accountable. But this year is a great learning experience for him.

I liked McCarthy in the early stages, now I'm not so fond of him. He isn't following through with what he said. For instance. He said he would establish the run before passing. Brett's thrown more than anyone else in the league!! He says Ahman is a guy who the more carries he gets the better he gets. Yet, he's not given the ball often? I'm losing faith in the man.

The only consisten failure on the team I've seen is the secondary. Every other facet of the team has had excellent bright spots.

Special teams has been iffy, but when we had Koren returning kicks I swear he was gonna bust one man I swear by it!

With that said. I don't think many changes are needed on the staff. I think McCarthy needs to stick to his words, stick to the run. And find a secondary coach.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Talk is cheap. The, "We need to get it fixed. We need to work harder. Were trying too hard, blah blah blah" stuff is getting pretty boring and old.

Fix the damn problem already. Bench someone. Cut someone. Fire a coach. ANYTHING!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Talk is cheap. The, "We need to get it fixed. We need to work harder. Were trying too hard, blah blah blah" stuff is getting pretty boring and old.

Fix the damn problem already. Bench someone. Cut someone. Fire a coach. ANYTHING!!

Maybe if this didnt happen

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

we might have had some depth on the team right now.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

Maybe if this didnt happen

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

we might have had some depth on the team right now.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Thats pretty good. I just hope that McCarthy doesnt use Sherman as an excuse as alot of other people have. He's gone now. We need to get over it.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said in a post in another thread, it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that a team with a 2nd yr GM, rookie HC/OC/DC and starting 7 rookies is going to lack experience. Perhaps it does take rocket science for team management to figure out that there is no substitute for experience.

This was the best post in the thread by far! The key that everyone seems to forget is that this team lacks experience in all facets of the game. It takes time for these guys to come together, both coaching and players executing.

The past few weeks have shown that other teams have learned our new team's tendencies and weaknesses. Now is time for the coaches to change things up so it's not so easy to exploit those weakness and tendencies. That is obviously easier said than done.

GO PACK GO!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
thats the thing, he is gone yes...

But Mike the GM is a part of the reason why they are in the spot they are in now...The reasons have been posted numerous times on all sorts of forums...

To think his role doesnt play a part now is just being ignorant...

Not saying it is entirely his fault at all..his moves lead to Ted having his hands tied in certain situations.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:

This was the best post in the thread by far! The key that everyone seems to forget is that this team lacks experience in all facets of the game. It takes time for these guys to come together, both coaching and players executing.

The past few weeks have shown that other teams have learned our new team's tendencies and weaknesses. Now is time for the coaches to change things up so it's not so easy to exploit those weakness and tendencies. That is obviously easier said than done.

GO PACK GO!!!

I fully agree with all points made..

Once agian people are and were spoiled by the 's, and expect it to always continue..It has been shown that it doesnt work that way..Cowgirls, Niners, Bengals, Colts have all gone thru horrible times..

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But Mike the GM is a part of the reason why they are in the spot they are in now...The reasons have been posted numerous times on all sorts of forums...

Not saying it is entirely his fault at all..his moves lead to Ted having his hands tied in certain situations.
Partially yes. But its kind of hard to draft well when youre winning division titles every year.

All that said, McCarthy and his staff havnt shown me much in being able to fix the defensive woes. Its the same talk every week. But no solutions. Thats what I'm getting tired of.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Partially yes. But its kind of hard to draft well when youre winning division titles every year.

All that said, McCarthy and his staff havnt shown me much in being able to fix the defensive woes. Its the same talk every week. But no solutions. Thats what I'm getting tired of.

I think everyone is...

And to say you cant draft well cuz your winning divisions is not true..You forget that he drafted a punter, and lot of the guys he drafted never panned out....

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/GB

look at those drafts from 2001 to 2004, I think only 4 players out of 27 are on the team still..and the ones not on the team, a few not even playing football anymore..

Barrnet, Kampman, Martin, Wells and Fergy are ones that stand out to me...other then that he got SQUAT, and at least one of those players could be said they really arent good either..

look at Wolfs TRUE last draft, 2000...He picked up 4 players STILL on the team and that was ONE draft...And IMO at least two of those players are very good players..

Face it, Sherman WASTED the draft no matter where he picked, and now more then ever it is really affecting this team.

I can not understand how people think him not drafting well is not affecting this team NOW..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts