Packers Make Three Roster Moves

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers Wednesday promoted cornerback Patrick Dendy from the practice squad to the active roster and placed defensive tackle Kenderick Allen on injured reserve. Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson made the announcement.

In addition Wednesday, the club signed linebacker Spencer Havner to replace Dendy on the practice squad.

Dendy, a 6-foot, 190-pound defensive back, is in his second year out of Rice. In 2005, he spent the season's first 10 weeks on the practice squad before making his NFL debut on Nov. 13 at Atlanta and playing in four games. Green Bay originally signed Dendy as a non-drafted free agent in the spring of 2005.

Havner (pronounced HEY-vner) is a 6-foot-3, 245-pound rookie from UCLA. Like Dendy, he signed as a non-drafted free agent out of college. The linebacker spent training camp with the Redskins before Washington released him in its final preseason roster reduction.

Allen injured his foot Sept. 24 at Detroit.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess Dendy is Carroll's replacement.

I don't get why Allen is even here. Why not bench Carroll, promote Dendy and cut Allen?

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that irks me the most about this whole mess is that we still have an open roster spot.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just goes to show that the decision to cut Carrol was knee jerk and probably didn't need to happen. I still think he had value on special teams.

tjb2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
The Green Bay Packers Wednesday promoted cornerback Patrick Dendy from the practice squad

This is imbecility to me. They decided to cut Mike Hawkins because he would not take the needle or something. But at least he had game experience and could cover WRs without getting as much laundry as Carroll. No matter what you say negative about his Hawkins, he could cover.

Now he is gone and they have to go to some guy from the practice squad. I hope Dendy plays well. But I do not think anyone can say that Thompson and McCarthy's roster management here is good.
It is just plain stupid, shortsighted and counterproductive.

Reaction score
hoos said:
It just goes to show that the decision to cut Carrol was knee jerk and probably didn't need to happen. I still think he had value on special teams.

I'm not so sure about knee-jerk, perhaps TT is busy getting the deal done, or has a couple of players he likes and wants to bring in to see who fits in best with the scheme.

Of it could verywell be a knee-jerk, I guess the next few days will shed better light.

IMO this was a move TT had considered for a while, and was unsure about. Carroll's play monday might have made up his mind, and Monday was something TT did in terms of a "why wait for something that benefits noone" philosophy.

tjb2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I don't get why Allen is even here. Why not ... cut Allen?

I think Thompson tends to use the IR list as a way to get rid of people and save money by doing so. He will probably reach an "injury settlement" with Allen and in that way save money on the long term.

Then, of course, he will refuse to spend any of that pile of saved money on free-agents or anything.

I think Thompson is only half of a GM; major gaps, not just a few bricks short.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tjb2 said:
PackerLegend said:
The Green Bay Packers Wednesday promoted cornerback Patrick Dendy from the practice squad

This is imbecility to me. They decided to cut Mike Hawkins because he would not take the needle or something. But at least he had game experience and could cover WRs without getting as much laundry as Carroll. No matter what you say negative about his Hawkins, he could cover.

Now he is gone and they have to go to some guy from the practice squad. I hope Dendy plays well. But I do not think anyone can say that Thompson and McCarthy's roster management here is good.
It is just plain stupid, shortsighted and counterproductive.

Hawkins could cover? That's news to me. He looked terrible in the preseason.