Packers Lost Interest In Rogers?

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Yahoo Sports:

A source with the USC Trojans confirmed that Green Bay has been scouting quarterback Matt Leinart – somewhat of a surprise considering it chose Cal's Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft. Should the 1-6 Packers end up with the No. 1 pick in next year's draft, conventional wisdom suggests the team would take a hard look at USC tailback Reggie Bush. But they have apparently been showing interest in Leinart, too.
That doesn't necessarily mean the Packers aren't happy with Rodgers, who has appeared to be further from starting than initially hoped. Many teams do their due diligence with top-rated players, even when they are stocked at a position. And with Leinart being considered a "franchise" quarterback, the No. 1 pick is expected to have plenty of value for trade. However, one NFC personnel source said he wouldn't be surprised if the Packers are legitimately interested in Leinart.

"He would have been taken (over Alex Smith)," he said of Leinart. "Who knows exactly what they've seen from Rodgers since he's gotten in there. I don't think anyone would have told you Rodgers had a better grade than Leinart going into the (2005) draft. Maybe they are interested in Leinart. I know this: If I thought one player was far better than another, especially at quarterback, I would take a long, long look at it. But considering they just spent a first-round pick on Rodgers and will have a year invested in him, they would have to think there's a huge disparity."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow I wonder what Brett would do if they spent another first round Pick on a QB. Do the Packers know this is brett's last year? Is Rogers not impressing in practice? Is this all just a bluff and they really want the Stud Running back and if they get the first round pick they could make a trade in a 1 for 2 trade with a team that really needs a QB?

Your thoughts?

RP

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting, but I'm not at all surprised. If Leinart is obviously a franchise qb, and Rodgers isn't, then I don't see the problem taking Matt.

However, assuming the Packers are looking at one of the top 3 picks in the draft...I'd almost lean towards trading down.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
With how the Packers season has gone, you HAVE to scout the guy. They could pick him up in the Draft and maybe trade Rodgers. I'm glad to see the Packers with open eyes and not just saying 'oh we got rodgers so we're safe'

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) You don't know how far he will fall in the draft. Leinhart has value.

2) Ted drafts for value.

3) Nall has been mistreated by the arrival of Rodgers and is unlikely to stay in such a position as he is in Green Bay. He has to be replaced.

4) Ted would be neglegent in his duties if he did not scout him.

5) If the unlikely happens there would be a fire under both of them to perform.

6) An interesting draft day trade could take place.

Ted is shrewd and keeps options open. He also keeps his cards close and hidden. Anything can happen.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's quite possible that the Packers are also scouting Bush plus several other good players on that team. We have many needs. In addition, I would bet that most teams in the NFL are scouting USC. Lots on that team will be drafted. BTW,I would place a small bet that IF the Pack drafts in the top 5, TT trades down(with my blessing!)

cdnpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if its lost interest in Rodgers....its more of a Leinart is suposed to be a 'can't miss' pick. Matt is projected to be a franchise QB for sure and definately someone hyped up. Even though Rodgers has potential a lot of people would think its crazy to pass on Leinart if the chance came. However, Bush as a Packer sounds awesome and would be quite the attack on offense and all around if Rodgers becomes a good QB/if Favre comes back for a year or two more.

I want the Pack to win, but if they do finish the year near the bottom on the bright side there looks to be some good picks to chose from...except we have quite a few holes to cover.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a fine example of pure speculation about Rodgers based on zero facts.

Why wouldn't the Packers scout USC? Lets see, there's Leinart, Bush, and many more players on that team that will be in the NFL.

If you're there, you might as well see Leinart. No one thought the Packers had a shot at Aaron Rodgers, either. The other reason to scout him is to create a file. At some point in the future, should Leinart become available(like after his first contract is complete) you have a basis line to establish whether he's grown in the profession from college.

I think the Packers see Rodgers as a development project, rather than a sure-fire first year starter. Leinart is a potential starter, but keep in mind many people thought Ryan Leaf was going to be the next superstar.

I think the Packers hold out the possibility of landing either Leinart or Bush and want to make sure they are covered.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All NFL teams are scouting alll the top players in the country as well as lesser known but productive players in D2 schools as well.
Any team that's not isn't much of an organization.
People shouldn't try to make something out of nothing.
This is business as usual in the NFL.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Leinart was a can't miss prospect until I saw him play a couple games this season. I don't think he has a "can't miss" arm.

Since you all asked me...I will tell you my dream scenario. Favre announces he will play two more seasons. The Packers draft Reggie Bush. Then they draft Brady Quinn in the 2007 draft (if they are not satisfied with the progress of Rodgers). Quinn IS a "can't miss" prospect. Much tougher kid and stronger arm than Leinart with two years of tutalege from Charlie Weiss. Quinn sits for a year behind Favre and we (almost) don't skip a beat when Brett retires.

I'll tell you later who I think they should take in the second round of the 2012 draft.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
Taking Bush in the draft would cover Tailback, punt return man, and KO returns. That would address several problem areas.

NFL teams don't typically throw first round players (particularly top 10 talent) into return duties. Especially kick-off. I could see if he was going to be the back up running back, then they'd let him return kicks and punts. But if he's going to be the featured back, no way (atleast not kick-off).

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
From Yahoo Sports:

A source with the USC Trojans confirmed that Green Bay has been scouting quarterback Matt Leinart – somewhat of a surprise considering it chose Cal's Aaron Rodgers in the first round of the 2005 draft. Should the 1-6 Packers end up with the No. 1 pick in next year's draft, conventional wisdom suggests the team would take a hard look at USC tailback Reggie Bush. But they have apparently been showing interest in Leinart, too.
That doesn't necessarily mean the Packers aren't happy with Rodgers, who has appeared to be further from starting than initially hoped. Many teams do their due diligence with top-rated players, even when they are stocked at a position. And with Leinart being considered a "franchise" quarterback, the No. 1 pick is expected to have plenty of value for trade. However, one NFC personnel source said he wouldn't be surprised if the Packers are legitimately interested in Leinart.

"He would have been taken (over Alex Smith)," he said of Leinart. "Who knows exactly what they've seen from Rodgers since he's gotten in there. I don't think anyone would have told you Rodgers had a better grade than Leinart going into the (2005) draft. Maybe they are interested in Leinart. I know this: If I thought one player was far better than another, especially at quarterback, I would take a long, long look at it. But considering they just spent a first-round pick on Rodgers and will have a year invested in him, they would have to think there's a huge disparity."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow I wonder what Brett would do if they spent another first round Pick on a QB. Do the Packers know this is brett's last year? Is Rogers not impressing in practice? Is this all just a bluff and they really want the Stud Running back and if they get the first round pick they could make a trade in a 1 for 2 trade with a team that really needs a QB?

Your thoughts?

RP

WOW.Very interesting indeed.. I still think we should get Reggie Bush if we do get the number 1 or 2 pick.I've had the oppurtunity to go to a few USC home games and see him play.The man is a stud.Lendale white is too..

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way we would get Quinn if we have another season like this one. He will be a top 5 pick

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way we would get Quinn if we have another season like this one. He will be a top 5 pick

Members online

Latest posts