Packers linked to serious convos about Darren Waller

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Could be a very savvy move depending on what they give up.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do I have a feeling we are all excited about 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds and Saturday morning we will be looking at a net return of a TE traded for and a bunch of picks traded to move up to get a tackle.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do I have a feeling we are all excited about 4 picks in the 1st 2 rounds and Saturday morning we will be looking at a net return of a TE traded for and a bunch of picks traded to move up to get a tackle.

Honestly, it shouldn't surprise many folks if this ends up being what occurs. Gute has proven a few things in his draft techniques and strategies; one being that he is proactive in his pick usage not reactive or patient....and your thought has been something I've kinda felt has been brewing for a while and I still feel it is 50/50 that we enter the draft with four picks in the top 60 - this just means it may be because of a TE and not a WR as we previously thought would be the catalyst for such a change. My issue is Waller is not worth losing a 2nd and a 3rd straight up. IF Raiders won't come off him for anything less, then they gotta add two top 200 picks or future picks have to be negotiated.

If you can get Waller for a 2nd and a 4th I think you do it...I'm also trying to get a 7th also back this year or 6th maybe next year back as well. Waller is essentially only a 7M cap hit this year and next - IF we don't work out an extension possibly right away or after a year.

Could be a very savvy move depending on what they give up.

100% agree. Many might argue me, but this makes me firmly in the boat of do not force two WR picks early. Get yourself a true outside capable WR early and then be patient and see what happens 3rd round and onward picking up a Tyquan Thornton, Romeo Doubs, Kevin Austin, Tanner Connor or others types. Waller when healthy is one of the most productive TEs over the last three years - he instantly makes our TE room complete, competitive and locks Tonyan possibly down for the future because he will steal yardage and limit Robert's ability to resume build for a big contract. Imagine a two or three year pairing of Tonyan and Waller with Deguara on a rookie deal here....not gonna lie that'd be legit TE room.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, it shouldn't surprise many folks if this ends up being what occurs.

Surprising? No. Disappointing? Yes.

Draft doesn't feel like a draft that they should try to move up from. Seems if they stay pat they can fill gaps in at DL/OL/WR/S rather than just misuse them. But, I've seen this movie enough to know that I shouldn't be shocked at anything that happens.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprising? No. Disappointing? Yes.

I guess how would turning a second rounder into a clear TE1 with two years on contract be disappointing? If of course that is what happens. You know me, I'm a draft NUT and love the whole thing...but even though TE may not be high high up priority list - that instantly helps greatly in covering the void in the offense left by Adams and not expecting it all to come from a rookie or rookies.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess how would turning a second rounder into a clear TE1 with two years on contract be disappointing?

I stated I would be disappointed if their 1st and 2nds were just turned into a TE and then they used the other 1st and 2nds to trade up. Basically I'm prepared for them to **** away a good opportunity to fill in numerous holes.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stated I would be disappointed if their 1st and 2nds were just turned into a TE and then they used the other 1st and 2nds to trade up. Basically I'm prepared for them to **** away a good opportunity to fill in numerous holes.

If you think Gute and company feel Waller is worth the same value as Davante you are either drunk, delirious or hate Gute like Kidcudi LOL

Gute will be involved in a trade for sure...he essentially always is when it comes to drafts though - i get the fear of trading up and wasting too much equity though.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you think Gute and company feel Waller is worth the same value as Davante you are either drunk, delirious or hate Gute like Kidcudi LOL

Gute will be involved in a trade for sure...he essentially always is when it comes to drafts though - i get the fear of trading up and wasting too much equity though.

If they gave up a 2/4 for Waller I'd be good with that.

I'm definitely more worried about trading up and burning equity than I am about overpaying for Waller. The draft doesn't seem like a good trade up draft.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah theres no way waller commands a 1st, a 2nd and a new top of market contract...id be estatic if they landed Waller for pick 59. I think thats probably his value. The dude is really good...but hes still a te

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It probably would just be for two years because if he plays really well; his price is going to be high at age 32. A second round rookie has a chance to be around for awhile. Obviously they are taking into consideration his recent injury hx.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they shouldve packaged Waller in the Devante trade. If they nab Waller for a 2nd and a 5th I'd be ecstatic. I'm now getting my draft advice from a agitating cheddar wearing englishman - he told me they need to fire the coach every time they fall off the "table" (whatever that means..lol)

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would try to include either Deguarra or Tonyan in the trade and give up less draft capital. Something like Deg or Ton picks 59 - 140- 249 for Waller and pick 126.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nowhere near a certainty that Tonyan will be ready for the start of this season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought they shouldve packaged Waller in the Devante trade. If they nab Waller for a 2nd and a 5th I'd be ecstatic. I'm now getting my draft advice from a agitating cheddar wearing englishman - he told me they need to fire the coach every time they fall off the "table" (whatever that means..lol)
Illegal to include players in franchise tagged players

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that's correct. After taking a look at the CBA I was only able to find that to be true for restricted free agents.
I've seen multiple reporters claiming this. I'll admit I assumed they did their research lol which as you and I both know was naive of me

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He was originally going to be part of the adams deal.

But something about his status wouldnt let it go thru?

So they may just send back one of the picks

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was originally going to be part of the adams deal.

But something about his status wouldnt let it go thru?

They claim that it was because of Adams status as a franchise tagged player...but Wimm says he read the cba and theres nothing in there about that. And I definitely believe him over a reporter. So im not sure what happened...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They claim that it was because of Adams status as a franchise tagged player...but Wimm says he read the cba and theres nothing in there about that. And I definitely believe him over a reporter. So im not sure what happened...

Can teams trade a franchise or transition player?
Yes. Franchise and transition players can be traded. However, players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until signed. A franchise or transition player essentially has a de facto no-trade clause or veto power on being dealt.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Can teams trade a franchise or transition player?
Yes. Franchise and transition players can be traded. However, players with unsigned tenders can't be traded until signed. A franchise or transition player essentially has a de facto no-trade clause or veto power on being dealt.

The claim is players can not be traded for franchise tagged players only draft picks...thats why waller wasnt included in the adams deal.

"The Seahawks sent the Texans two players, Jacob Martin and Barkevious Mingo, and a 2020 third-round pick for Jadeveon Clowney at the end of last preseason."

And as Wimm said that is not true...

Members online

Latest posts