Packers, Koonce tackle wife's cancer

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
To all those who are bickering about adding unknown players. Koonce was unknown an undrafted. You can add him to the total of good players out from nowhere.

More importantly his wife has cancer :(

George Koonce is a survivor.

The undrafted free agent out of East Carolina was waived by Atlanta on the final roster cut in 1991. He went on to become a top linebacker in the World League of American Football, but the Ohio Glory's 1-9 record obscured it.

The WLAF went belly-up, but Koonce persevered.

In 1992, the Green Bay Packers' assistant director of pro personnel, an ambitious former NFL linebacker named Ted Thompson, recommended Koonce to GM Ron Wolf. The Packers signed Koonce. He played in 112 games during a terrific seven-year run, leading them in tackles in 1994 and 1996.

But Koonce, 37, doesn't live in the past.

The Packers' first-year director of player development is too entrenched in the present, and too concerned about the future.

On May 24, Tunisia Koonce gave birth to the couple's first child, George Paup Koonce, whom they call Paup. Three days later, she began receiving chemotherapy to treat breast cancer.

Tunisia, 35, was eight months pregnant when she discovered she had cancer.

"If she had found out at three months, we probably would have had to terminate the pregnancy," Koonce said. "The baby came five weeks early, and she started chemo three days later. It's going to be a 4½-month process. Then we'll reassess it and see if she needs surgery, and then we'll go ahead with the radiation afterward."

Asked whether Tunisia's prognosis was good, Koonce's eyes reflected the seriousness of his words.

"We have a long road ahead of us," he said.

Tunisia and George met when their mothers — after a lengthy chat at Tunisia's mom's hair salon in Greenville, N.C. — decided they would make a great couple.

That was four years ago.

"If two moms get you together, you have a can't-miss situation," Koonce said. "We've been married 2½ years now."

Koonce has discussed Tunisia's cancer at length with Brett Favre, whose wife, Deanna, was treated for breast cancer. He also has talked with director of corporate security Jerry Parins about his battle with colon cancer.

"Brett's been a good friend and listener," Koonce said, "and Jerry's been tremendous about explaining what to expect in the future."

Tunisia and Paup are in Greenville, where Koonce is selling some or all of his 116 apartment units. They plan to move to here during the season.

"The Packers have been great," Koonce said. "Tunisia has a great support system back home, and she has a great support system in waiting up here. Deanna will be here once the season starts, and the (team) doctors have been excellent.

"I have a special place in my heart for Green Bay. Ted signed me out of the World League, and my second year, I was able to purchase a home here. I kept it for seven years, until I went to Seattle. I never came to Green Bay with the mentality of being a carpetbagger."

Koonce is a survivor. He's praying Tunisia is, too

Members online

Latest posts