Packers' 'KGB' shares faith at prayer event

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM HEINEN
[email protected]
Posted: May 2, 2008

A testimony of faith from Green Bay Packers defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila drew a standing ovation Thursday from 800 people at the annual Governor's Prayer Breakfast at Milwaukee's Italian Community Center.

Held in conjunction with the National Day of Prayer, this year's event drew the largest crowd since the late Packers great Reggie White, an ordained preacher known as the "minister of defense," spoke to 1,300 people at the 1993 breakfast, said John Fisco, event chairman and publisher of The Christian Courier newspaper.

Gbaja-Biamila, the son of Nigerian immigrants - a Christian mother and a Muslim father - amused the crowd with quips and moved it with candor as he described his family and faith journey.

Growing up, he struggled with name-calling on the streets of Los Angeles and with teachers in school who told him he wasn't smart enough to make it. He wanted to be a plumber, like his father, but other doors opened to him as his football successes led him through high school and into college.

When he arrived in Green Bay after the Packers picked him in the 2000 NFL draft, the only person he had some familiarity with was Gill Byrd, then the Packers' director of player development. Gbaja-Biamila, then a Muslim, bonded with Byrd, a former Muslim who had converted to Christianity.

"He (Byrd) became family," Gbaja-Biamila said. "And for the first time, I finally saw a man walking the walk, believing in what he actually was preaching.

" . . . Growing up, I hung out with a lot of Christians. I went to school with Christians. And I didn't know at the time there was different types of Christians. You have your noun and you have the verb. I was around a lot of nouns."

Byrd's personal example and biblical knowledge helped lead Gbaja-Biamila to conversion, he said. His closing remarks drew a standing ovation as he prayed "that men will become the spiritual leaders in their homes again" and that kids will see "Daddy reading the word of God."

"When you go to church, it looks like men are forced to be there," he said. " . . . We need fathers to get back into the game and be the spiritual leader that God called you to be, not because you deserve it but because God said so."

A tribute to the troops by two military officers who recently returned from Iraq and Kuwait also drew a standing ovation at the prayer breakfast.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew KGB was a christian, I didn't know he converted from being a muslim after he came to GB. WHat he said in his closing remarks is right on the money. You go KGB!

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome sig trippster. I only have a dog. He doesn't play ball. But now, after seeing that, I wish he did.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awesome sig trippster. I only have a dog. He doesn't play ball. But now, after seeing that, I wish he did.
Trippster......is that Kipp in your siggy????
I was trying to figure it out! I didn't know he played!
What position?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has the pad on his chin strap, which means he's a DB of some sort...
There are too many bars on his facemask for him to be a CB...
Almost big enough face mask to be a LB, but the mask isn't quite large enough...
SO, I'm gonna say he plays Strong Safety.

wranglerjeansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
supposedly the morning after the packers lost in the nfc championship, there was a buffet which all the players and their families attended. as expected, all the players there were really depressed and not saying much. when KGB entered the room, he had a big smile on his face. one of the players asked why he was so happy, and he proclaimed, "because i love Jesus!"

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
supposedly the morning after the packers lost in the nfc championship, there was a buffet which all the players and their families attended. as expected, all the players there were really depressed and not saying much. when KGB entered the room, he had a big smile on his face. one of the players asked why he was so happy, and he proclaimed, "because i love Jesus!"
Dang "Jesus freak!" :wink:
Seriously though, it's good to see a man who realizes the world didn't end with the Packer loss. It's good to see a pro athelete actually give kids a GOOD role model to follow. Lord knows there are plenty of bad ones in the league........and the NBA and MLB.
I have been made fun of.....more times then i can count.......for my beliefs and faith.
KGB seems to be walking the walk, not just talking.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kip is 6'5"and 240. Prototype tight end. This however was his first year playing football, so he lacked some technique. His team, the Lake Zurich Bears, won the Illinois State Championship in November. He will be attending UW Platteville in the fall.

Easily my favorite sig of all time. Thanks Pack93!

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kip is 6'5"and 240. Prototype tight end. This however was his first year playing football, so he lacked some technique. His team, the Lake Zurich Bears, won the Illinois State Championship in November. He will be attending UW Platteville in the fall.

As UWStout BlueDevils BangtheDrum and I are quite sorry to hear that.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:

As UWStout BlueDevils BangtheDrum and I are quite sorry to hear that.

Being that I guessed incorrectly, I'm also sorry to hear that.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wranglerjeansfan said:
Dang "Jesus freak!" :wink:
Seriously though, it's good to see a man who realizes the world didn't end with the Packer loss. It's good to see a pro athelete actually give kids a GOOD role model to follow. Lord knows there are plenty of bad ones in the league........and the NBA and MLB.
I have been made fun of.....more times then i can count.......for my beliefs and faith.
KGB seems to be walking the walk, not just talking.

Yup KGB is a good guy. It is touching that he still could have a smile on his face and still be thinking about Jesus despite losing the NFC Championship.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wow.....sounds like he has grown alot since i saw him!!!
CONGRATS Trippster!!! :D
Give a big "HEY!" to Kip for me!!! :D

Members online

No members online now.