Packers interview list

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have accumulated this list from reading several articles and from other sources as to who the Packers would like to interview.

In no particular order.

Bears DC Ron Rivera
Packers DC Jim Bates
Eagles OC Brad Childress
Browns OC Maurice Carthon
Steelers OC Ken Whissenhunt
Steelers OLC Russ Grimm
Cowboy Asst HC Sean Payton
Giants DC Tim Lewis
Chargers OC Cam Cameron
Chargers DC Wade Phillips

I hope Wade Phillips and Russ Grimm are just very bad rumors that got written down by some idiot reporter.

My best/worst guess at this point is Brad Childress.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that we can gather from such an extensive list is that TT is doing the right thing by reviewing all possibilities before rushing into a decision. I will chalk that up as a very good move on his part.

Firing Sherman is only ok as long as he brings in someone better. I hope that this all can be followed up by convincing Favre to return for another season. GB can turn it around and make a run in the playoffs, but we need Favre to do it.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ravage said:
I have accumulated this list from reading several articles and from other sources as to who the Packers would like to interview.

I hope Wade Phillips and Russ Grimm are just very bad rumors that got written down by some idiot reporter.

My best/worst guess at this point is Brad Childress.

Why would Russ Grimm be such a bad choice?? Even though he's an OL coach, he has a wonderful mind for offense - and he wasn't all that bad as an O-lineman in his own right.

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
skibum55 said:
Why would Russ Grimm be such a bad choice?? Even though he's an OL coach, he has a wonderful mind for offense - and he wasn't all that bad as an O-lineman in his own right.
I believe it is very hard to skip over coordinator to Head Coach. Reid did it but very few can do it successfully.

Just because a guy played well back in the day doesn't mean he'd be a good HC. Personally I believe guys like Marino and Favre would be awful head coaches and they are two of the best QBs ever.

To me it's kind of like being a line worker in a factory and being promoted to division head without ever having been a supervisor or department head. It can be done but it's not likely.

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ravage said:
Just because a guy played well back in the day doesn't mean he'd be a good HC. Personally I believe guys like Marino and Favre would be awful head coaches and they are two of the best QBs ever.

Point well taken - Just looked what happened when (before your time??) Bart Starr tried to coach the Pack. Bart was a marvelous QB and a terrible HC. :cry:

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see....we give Sherman a contract extension and then fire him. Due to the firing, Favre may not come back. If I'm looking to be a HC, I see no loyalty, freezing temperatures and no Brett. Pretty attractive.

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
skibum55 said:
Point well taken - Just looked what happened when (before your time??) Bart Starr tried to coach the Pack. Bart was a marvelous QB and a terrible HC. :cry:
Nope. I suffered through Devine too. For those of you who remember- Let's give up a bunch of draft picks for a QB who can't move and is at the end of his career. Thanks Dan for John Hadl.

shanks2122

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i just hope we can find a coach before the combine so he can settle in and get everything read for the draft, not to mention get all his personnel in place

Duves

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shanks,

As a golfer and I'm sure there are many others on this board please please change your name.... I get the quivers just looking at the word shanks.....

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
I don't think this is any different than your list, but I'll post a link anyway. http://packers.scout.com/2/485345.html

Also, it looks like Childress is being interviewed today.
It looks like the only difference is that I don't have Mariucci on my list. My reasoning for that is that mostly it seems to be message board speculation and writers just throwing his name out there because he used to be with the Packers. I haven't seen anything to allow me to say at this point that Mariucci has or will be contacted.

I did read somewhere that Mariucci's agent sasid that no team has contacted him yet. But that could just be to keep it confidential.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ravage said:
skibum55 said:
Nope. I suffered through Devine too. For those of you who remember- Let's give up a bunch of draft picks for a QB who can't move and is at the end of his career. Thanks Dan for John Hadl.

no other coach would be worse than that.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick said:
ravage said:
skibum55 said:

no other coach would be worse than that.
You're right, PC!

OP
OP
R

ravage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can add 49ers OC Mike McCarthy to the list of guys TT will interview.

Brad Childress spent an extra day in Minnesota and didn't make his interview with TT. This is not good if you wanted Childress. When guys start spending an extra day with a team expect an announcement soon.

Duves

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ravage,

I believe the reason he spent the extra day in Minnesota was that his flight to GB was cancelled due to fog at the GB airport. I might not be 100 percent on that but i believe that was the reason.

Members online

Latest posts