Packers interested in Pacman Jones?

vbpackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PACKMEN WANT PACMAN?
Posted by Mike Florio on April 1, 2008, 7:11 a.m.
We need to preface this one by pointing out that it isn’t an April Fool’s gag. (We’re out of the April Fool’s Day business for the first time in our six-plus-year history because each year more and more people believe the intentionally phony stories, which undermines our unintentionally phony stories.)

The Green Bay Packers are interested in Pacman Jones. Our good friends at Sporting News mentioned the possibility in last week’s magazine, with the image of a dejected Reggie Wayne on the cover (or, alternatively, he’d just been kicked in the nuts).

On the surface, the Packers don’t need Pacman because they have Al Harris and Charles Woodson. But Harris will turn 34 in December and Woodson will be 32 in October, so at some point the Packers have to think about going younger.

Whether the guy who makes it rain will be accepted by the folks who make it cheese remains to be seen. Many of the Green Bay fans didn’t want Randy Moss last year, even though his presence arguably would have been the difference between an NFC title game loss and a Super Bowl triumph.

And Pacman is an even higher level of turd, so we can’t imagine the folks in Green Bay reacting well to Brett Favre’s legend being followed by Adam Jones.

On Monday, it was reported that teams other than the Cowboys are interested in Jones. Those teams have not yet been identified.

From Profootballtalk.com.
They said it's NOT an April fools Day thing, but I'm hoping it IS!
We don't need this POS!
What do ya all think?
GO PACKERS!!!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

he has been a thorn in the side of the NFL. but, so had koren robinson. Ted brought him in, and he's been a saint. If Ted decides to bring in Pacman (which i don't think will happen), I think TT has fully earned the benefit of the doubt, and i trust his personnel decisions

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

I don't think this guy has really learned his lesson. He appears to not really care at all. With the emphasis that TT and MM put on players being "Packer People", I don't see how they could even forsee this guy fitting in. Unique talent, sure, but he's a complete knucklehead.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

all i can say is dont worry.

If TT brings him in... you gotta believe that he has addressed the problems and is 99% sure of it never happening again.

and to be honest... if you can get a highly rated CB for as little as this may take... you do it regardless.

besides theres no strip clubs to shoot up in GB. i dont like the guy one bit... but he is a good cornerback and we could use all the help you can get.

adding chillar and Pacman would instantly make us the best defense in the entire league.

A1MEANGREEN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

no doubt he is a very good player in football and other things but he spends more time off the field then on it which gives him more time for other things. i just dont think it would be worth all the baggage that come with him. i say lets just build via the draft its been pretty good so far and this year the d.b.s in the draft look pretty good so we should be able to get at least one good one and who better to learn from then harris & woodson.so i say we leave him alone we dont need the headache

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

just like shockey et al. GB just simply isnt hollywood enough for him. Cant see it happening

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Crapman Jones????

Packnic said:

If TT brings him in... you gotta believe that he has addressed the problems and is 99% sure of it never happening again.

and to be honest... if you can get a highly rated CB for as little as this may take... you do it regardless.

besides theres no strip clubs to shoot up in GB. i dont like the guy one bit... but he is a good cornerback and we could use all the help you can get.

adding chillar and Pacman would instantly make us the best defense in the entire league.quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:shock:

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

He would improve our team.

I don't think he has learned his lesson, but on the other hand, he won't have that many temptations or opportunities to get in trouble in Green Bay.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

However, I don't believe it. I think it is BS.

Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

I don't get PFT mentioning this...

Usually they have more info, this time it's only "(tidbit) mentioned in Sporting News"...

You'd at least expect PFT to have info on what draft pick the Packers might be willing to offer or how many discussions have gone on between the Pack and Titans.

For now, TAKE THIS RUMOR WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. It seems for the moment that PFT/Sporting News are making the connection between Packers and Pacman simply because Packers have a need that Pacman fills.

Also, you have to take into account that Pacman would be exposed to Al Harris and C-Wood, two guys thatt are vets who might have a positive influence on Pacman...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crapman Jones????

i agree with the dissent... the guy is kind of a turd. i will not be hurt at all if he isnt signed with us

im just saying that if Management does bring him in, then we should give him the benefit of the doubt, as crazy as that sounds.

I just think with the personnel decisions thus far, and the character building they have done. i think they have earned our trust, or at least should have.

so when the guy has talent like this and our current management believes he wont be a problem and will dedicate himself to football... then by all means we should accept him.

forget about pacmans past and problems... trust the guys who havent done anything to make you doubt there character judgement. and thats our front office

Reaction score

im just saying that if Management does bring him in, then we should give him the benefit of the doubt, as crazy as that sounds.

I just think with the personnel decisions thus far, and the character building they have done. i think they have earned our trust, or at least should have.

I completely agree.

The Packers have moved away from the "Packer people" idea, so it isn't like they'd be contradicting themselves by going after Pacman.

Pacman has talent, and you have to believe getting him instantly makes the Packers a heck of a team.

The only thing is why did PFT wait until today to post this... if it supposedly appeared on Sporting News a week ago, you'd think with Florio's connections to SN he'd have posted it sooner.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packnic said:

adding chillar and Pacman would instantly make us the best defense in the entire league.quote]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you dont agree that adding a top flight cornerback and linebacker depth to this defense would make it the best in the league?

the best defensive line, coupled with an upgraded linebacking corp and an upgraded secondary. i gotta think thats the best most versatile defense in the league right now.

i know chuck wood doesnt wanna play safety and he was the better of both starting cornerbacks last year... but bear with me for excitement purposes.

Harris Collins Wood Pacman
Chillar Barnett Hawk
jenkins pick one pick one Kampman

thats just one of a hundred combinations we could field. I think it would add just any number of possibilities that a DC could game plan with... not to mention make it tough for an OC to even think about.

with added help in the secondary you could also try out a 3-4 defense with insurance that a QB wont light you up.

again though I dont think this will happen and i dont care if it doesnt. I just like the possibilities we have with that lineup of guys.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NDPackerFan said:
Packnic said:

you dont agree that adding a top flight cornerback and linebacker depth to this defense would make it the best in the league?

the best defensive line, coupled with an upgraded linebacking corp and an upgraded secondary. i gotta think thats the best most versatile defense in the league right now.

i know chuck wood doesnt wanna play safety and he was the better of both starting cornerbacks last year... but bear with me for excitement purposes.

Harris Collins Wood Pacman
Chillar Barnett Hawk
jenkins pick one pick one Kampman

thats just one of a hundred combinations we could field. I think it would add just any number of possibilities that a DC could game plan with... not to mention make it tough for an OC to even think about.

with added help in the secondary you could also try out a 3-4 defense with insurance that a QB wont light you up.

again though I dont think this will happen and i dont care if it doesnt. I just like the possibilities we have with that lineup of guys.

First of all, I won't say we have the best D-line in football after watching the Giants at the end of this year...we're good, no doubt, but I'll reserve that we're the best defense in the league by adding Pacman and Chillar. I just think the statement is a little over the top, that's all. You're entitled to your opinion and I respect it; I just don't agree with it. Could we be the best defense next year with Pacman and Chillar as additions? Sure. I just don't think it's a given by any stretch of the imagination.

Reaction score
Check out PFT, they just posted that Taylor retiring story was an April Fool's joke, and the "we aren't doing April fools joke" was a set-up...

I'm even more confused now about whether this is a real rumor or made-up for April Fools

Reaction score
Well apparently this isn't true:

By Tom Silverstein
Tuesday, Apr 1 2008, 08:35 AM

Palm Beach, Fla. -- There are definitely more teams than just the Dallas Cowboys interested in troubled Tennessee cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, but the Green Bay Packers aren't one of them.

A rumor on profootballtalk.com said the Packers were one of the teams to have shown interest in Jones, who is currently under suspension and awaiting word from commissioner Roger Goodell on whether he'll be reinstated in time for training camp. According to a knowledgable source here at the NFL owners meetings, the Packers are not one of the teams considering Jones.

Why they would want a guy who spends as much time in strip clubs as he does the weight room given the number of young players they have is anyone's guess. The Packers are in need of a corner to eventually replace either Charles Woodson or Al Harris or both, but aside from Koren Robinson they haven't taken many chances on troubled players.

That doesn't mean other teams aren't interested. The Cowboys seem to be showing the most interest in Jones, but there hasn't been much discussion here between the Titans and Cowboys and a potential trade isn't close to occuring. But other teams are interested in Jones and some have inquired about his status with commissioner Roger Goodell, so it's not a lock that he'll be going to the Cowboys.

The Titans seem to have no interest in Jones returning.

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a shocker. Florio spreading negative rumors about the Packers, that end up not being true.

Sometimes he has inside info, but my god, his Packers rumors that he decides to post are just awful.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

bozz_2006 said:
he has been a thorn in the side of the NFL. but, so had koren robinson. Ted brought him in, and he's been a saint. If Ted decides to bring in Pacman (which i don't think will happen), I think TT has fully earned the benefit of the doubt, and i trust his personnel decisions

2 big differences in a K-Rob vs Jones comparison:
1) TT knew Koren personally,
2) We had Brett Favre who was a HUGE support network for Koren

I don't know enough about Jones to say yeah or nay, but I'll trust whatever decision our Packer staff makes. It was obviously the right one with Koren.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry. I hope it's not accurate because I would seriously lose respect for the Packers organization.

The Koren comparison really doesn't do it for me either. Koren was a guy with a substance abuse problem. Pacman is an outright thug who deserves to be making license tags, not a multi-million dollar salary. Big difference in the character of those two, IMO.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pacman doesn't want to play in Wisconsin.

He only wants a star on his helmet, not a "G". Regardless of factors in a trade, I just don't think he'd play here.

He's a great athlete, but again, he won't say yes to a new contract with us, so don't look forward to it.

BlueMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He will fit in perfectly in Dallas. Thugs and arrogant jackasses have always done well there.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry. I hope it's not accurate because I would seriously lose respect for the Packers organization.

The Koren comparison really doesn't do it for me either. Koren was a guy with a substance abuse problem. Pacman is an outright thug who deserves to be making license tags, not a multi-million dollar salary. Big difference in the character of those two, IMO.

i dont see any difference in character between the two.

Just because Koren is now a Packer doesnt mean what he did wasnt illegal.

if your saying theres a difference in Koren's attitude about what he did and his willingness to fix what he did... then we can agree.

but both guys did something illegal, stupid and thugish. Both guys paid for it. Just cause he plays for the Packers now, doesnt mean he didnt break the law.

Members online

Latest posts