Packers interested in Lamarr Houston

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

FWIW Ian Rapoport reports the Packers are interested in Raiders DL Lamarr Houston. He would be an upgrade on the defensive line for sure, wonder about his price tag though.

H

HardRightEdge

Given that (1) the Raiders have massive cap space after last year's dead cap house clearing, (2) Houston is one of the few home grown quality guys on a roster without a ton of talent to start with and (3) Oakland must be looking for guys to pay signing bonuses in order to get up to the 89%-of-cap cash payout that's looming, one would conclude he wants a lot and is willing test the limits of FA.

I would expect Thompson will speak with his agent, offer a number too low for him to accept, then repeat the process in 4 or 5 years. ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Given that (1) the Raiders have massive cap space after last year's dead cap house clearing, (2) Houston is one of the few home grown quality guys on a roster without a ton of talent to start with and (3) Oakland must be looking for guys to pay signing bonuses in order to get up to the 89%-of-cap cash payout that's looming, one would conclude he wants a lot and is willing test the limits of FA.

I would expect Thompson will speak with his agent, offer a number too low for him to accept, then repeat the process in 4 or 5 years. ;)

I'm actually very surprised that the Raiders still haven't re-signed him. I think he will ask for way too much money for the Packers to truly consider signing him.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm actually very surprised that the Raiders still haven't re-signed him. I think he will ask for way too much money for the Packers to truly consider signing him.
I think the likelihood is Thompson would overpay Neal instead under a smaller contract than Houston even if Neal (and Jones for that matter) are not the Jenkins replacements Houston might finally be.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be a heck of a pickup that's for sure. Packers can save that money and go after Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, or Aldon Smith in a couple yrs...no way are the Niners going to be able to keep all 3 and I'll take any of the three.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know he's real weight, he doesn't look anything near the 300 pound as listed on Raiders site.
McKenzie would be foolish not to resign the player.

Reports have the Packers also are very interested in Arthur Jones, a true 3-4 DE and would be awesome.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be a heck of a pickup that's for sure. Packers can save that money and go after Navarro Bowman, Patrick Willis, or Aldon Smith in a couple yrs...no way are the Niners going to be able to keep all 3 and I'll take any of the three.
It amazes me that the 49'er can continue to sign those big time players on def., and now reports are the could go after Michael Bennett, how do they do that.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't discount the "cost of being bad" when it comes to the Raiders. The Raiders might have a ton of cap space, but Oakland plays in a division where the other three teams made the playoffs last year (with the Broncos making the Super Bowl). Houston might not want to waste his prime on a team with little to no chance of making the playoffs, let alone a Super Bowl.

bubba

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw a report the Pack may also be interested in Arthur Jones. Does anyone know if GB showed interest in anyone last year during the early FA period. Wondering If this could be a sign that they actually sign someone this year.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It amazes me that the 49'er can continue to sign those big time players on def., and now reports are the could go after Michael Bennett, how do they do that.
We have probably the highest paid cb tandem in the league, the highest paid QB and not sure where clays contract falls but it's got to be one of the highest. So it's not like we don't pay out either

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy or Linval Joseph? If we could only have one, which would folks like to see? Both dlineman, both second round picks. Joseph more of a run stuffer, right?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to know he's real weight, he doesn't look anything near the 300 pound as listed on Raiders site.
McKenzie would be foolish not to resign the player.

Reports have the Packers also are very interested in Arthur Jones, a true 3-4 DE and would be awesome.
I watched a game he play in back in Texas. I kept seeing this LB come in and make the play. He caught my attention with his great and decisive tackling... After I had located his number on the interior line, I was shocked!. He was a BIG dude that is so well put together, and fast, that he looks smaller than his size. But the giuy is huge and ripped, and fast. I would love to see him in green and gold. LOVE to see it!.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that the Niners haven't negotiated a new contract with Kapperdoink yet, and he's reportedly asking for 18 mil. That'll put a dent in their FA ventures.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

This guy or Linval Joseph? If we could only have one, which would folks like to see? Both dlineman, both second round picks. Joseph more of a run stuffer, right?

Joseph would probably play NT for the Packers as he´s over 320 pounds and it seems like the team wants to get more athletic at DE. Houston and Jones would rather fit at DE in a 3-4.

All three are more of a run stuffer than pass rushers, but they´re capable of getting a sack here and there as well.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
FWIW Ian Rapoport reports the Packers are interested in Raiders DL Lamarr Houston. He would be an upgrade on the defensive line for sure, wonder about his price tag though.

Hmmm...... seems I mentioned about a month ago he would be a damn good fit......seems I was told that he wouldn't work...... guess the front office likes him anyways. I don't know if he would ask for top notch type cash, he may just want to get off the raiders squad and out of a dead last spot for them in that division. He may be more reasonable to come and play for a winning/play-off team.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hmmm...... seems I mentioned about a month ago he would be a damn good fit......seems I was told that he wouldn't work...... guess the front office likes him anyways. I don't know if he would ask for top notch type cash, he may just want to get off the raiders squad and out of a dead last spot for them in that division. He may be more reasonable to come and play for a winning/play-off team.

After seeing what Everson Griffen got paid by the Vikings I´m sure Houston will ask for a huge pay day.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Maybe..... but nobody knows just yet. A short term deal (2 years) with decent cash and a bonus might sway him. I for one, would love to see him come up north. But, as we all know and some of us don't like to admit..... TT will go after his typical K-mart priced players for patchwork placement..... and they will be gone after camp or pre-season.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joseph would probably play NT for the Packers as he´s over 320 pounds and it seems like the team wants to get more athletic at DE. Houston and Jones would rather fit at DE in a 3-4.

All three are more of a run stuffer than pass rushers, but they´re capable of getting a sack here and there as well.

I was reading yesterday that Houston is a better fit for a 4-3 DE while Jones is suited better as a 3-4 DE FWIW. Agree?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I was reading yesterday that Houston is a better fit for a 4-3 DE while Jones is suited better as a 3-4 DE FWIW. Agree?

Houston has played in a 4-3 his entire career, but I don´t see any reason why he shouldn´t be able to succeed in a 3-4.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Houston really that good? I have some doubts. Oak is flush with cap space, but didn't resign him either during the year or now. And in 4 seasons, starting all but 4 games, he's amassed a whopping 16 career sacks, with six serving as a career best season. He only has 5 passes defensed too. I don't have access to advanced stats or read much up on the guy. But, something about this worries me. It's a weak OLB market and maybe he's just the best by default. Maybe someone can tell me why he's so highly sought after.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Is Houston really that good? I have some doubts. Oak is flush with cap space, but didn't resign him either during the year or now. And in 4 seasons, starting all but 4 games, he's amassed a whopping 16 career sacks, with six serving as a career best season. He only has 5 passes defensed too. I don't have access to advanced stats or read much up on the guy. But, something about this worries me. It's a weak OLB market and maybe he's just the best by default. Maybe someone can tell me why he's so highly sought after.

Houston is a great run stopper, being ranked in the top 6 in run stop percentage among 4-3 DEs in each of the last three seasons. The guy weights 300 pounds, so he´s for sure not an OLB.

Stevie DK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Houston is a great run stopper, being ranked in the top 6 in run stop percentage among 4-3 DEs in each of the last three seasons. The guy weights 300 pounds, so he´s for sure not an OLB.
I watched some games with Oakland last year, just because of C. Wood, and the only bright sight of that team besides Sio Moore was by far there best player, Houston.
But I really can't believe he's 300, he looks like a OLB an almost moves like one, he did come out of college at 300, but dropped some bulk in 2012, maybe to be faster or better suited as a 4-3 DE.
My guess would be 280, but if he can play like he does at what ever weight that is, i'm all in.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I keep beating the big man drum while remaining mystified at the general lack of recognition that we're a 3-4 team with no NT on the roster. How is this supposed to work?

I suppose there's some vague notion that Thompson will eventually sign someone or some combination out of the Raji/Jolly/Pickett group and that will be that (even if Jolly is not a NT and Raji hasn't shown us much at the position in the past 3 years). And somehow, the performance, injury and age issues associated with those three big man incumbents remain generally unappreciated.

And despite McCarthy's well-documented assertions to the contrary, there seems to be some peculiar notion that a smaller D-Line with more length and athleticism obviates the need to have an appropriate NT for playing in front of a back 7 relatively low on the physicality scale (not to mention the allegedly more lengthly and athletic DEs).

We remain in need of 2 big men, from whatever source.

Members online

Latest posts