Packers ink Peppers

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just joined the forum yesterday, I am the biggest Julius Peppers fan boy there is, and so therfore am now a fan of the Green Bay Packers as well. I hope you accept me with open arms my fellow cheesehead brethren. :)

With Julius Peppers you are getting the greatest edge rusher of his generation, Peppers is a more dominant player than Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, Dwight Freeney, John Abraham, Jared Allen, or DeMarcus Ware. He can set the edge and stop the run, rush the passer, take on double teams to free up his teammates, or even drop into coverage. He is deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/panthers/2006-11-22-peppers-cover_x.htm

After watching Peppers notch three sacks, bat down a pass and recover a fumble in a 24-10 win against Tampa Bay, ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Joe Theismann put Peppers in rarefied air, comparing him to Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor.

"This is the best way to put in perspective the way we viewed Lawrence, and I think this is the way people should view Julius," Theismann says. "When coaches draw up defenses, they use letters to denote defensive players: 'C' for corner, 'S' for safety, so on. In Washington, we would use letters until it came to Lawrence. For him, we used No. 56, and it was always bigger than everything else. That visually put everything into context, saying, 'This guy is better than anybody else on that board.' "

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/14/aikman-peppers-is-a-game-changer/

When opposing offenses game plan for the Chicago Bears pass rush, there is one variable they can never truly predict: Julius Peppers.
Peppers has freedom to move up and down the line throughout the game until he finds which offensive player he wants to attack — something that undoubtably causes head aches for opposing offensive coordinators.

“He’s one of those players that’s just a difference-maker,” Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman told The Mully and Hanley Show. “I know they moved him to both sides of the ball, so that’s a good thing. As an offense, you don’t know exactly where he’s going to be or how you’re going to turn protection to him. That can create some problems. Then, if you start working him into the middle of the defensive line and kind of take advantage of those weaknesses in the middle, then that creates a whole different set of problems.”

For Aikman, the Bears allowing Peppers to attack the middle of an offensive line is reminiscent of one of the greatest defensive linemen in the history of the game he used to play against.

“Going to back to when I was playing, they used to do that, the Philadelphia Eagles did, with Reggie White,” Aikman said. “You think you know where he’s going to be, or you anticipate that he’s going to be here most of the time, but then you know he’s going to move up and down that offensive line until he finds a matchup that he feels good about. That puts some stress on an offense.”

Welcome!

A subtraction from the Bears fan base and addition to the Packer fan base is acceptable!

Not sure how old your quotes are. I understand that Peppers can be a dominant player in the past. Where would you currently put him at? Certainly at 32 he must have tailed off a bit.

PS: The Packers are bigger than any player in the mind of most of us Packer fans. There are still a few Favre fans here who post just because the hate Ted Thompson - our GM. I have no problem with fans of a single player. Hope during Peppers probably short stay here - 2-5 years and subsequent retirement - you stay a Packer fan.

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome!

A subtraction from the Bears fan base and addition to the Packer fan base is acceptable!

Not sure how old your quotes are. I understand that Peppers can be a dominant player in the past. Where would you currently put him at? Certainly at 32 he must have tailed off a bit.

PS: The Packers are bigger than any player in the mind of most of us Packer fans. There are still a few Favre fans here who post just because the hate Ted Thompson - our GM. I have no problem with fans of a single player. Hope during Peppers probably short stay here - 2-5 years and subsequent retirement - you stay a Packer fan.

As long as Peppers is there, I will cheer hard for the Packers! I actually am a fan of another team due to living in close proximity of that team, they're the home team so to speak, but I have always liked the Packers as one my favorite teams, my grandfather liked them, my uncle likes them, and I had a Packers helmet growing up as a kid that I would wear to play backyard football with. :)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
them not signing byrd is a mistake....lets compare....burnett/banjo/Richardson/scrub/scrub/scrub to who? the real of this deal is peppers is a question mark. if he reverts back to the player he was 5 years ago, this is a great pick up. if he is
not - another fricken mistake. we have to watch.

Of course Byrd is better then anyone on current roster by miles, but this whole "Byrd or bust" thing is ridiculous. I am sure TT has a plan for safety. Burnett has to start due to contract, I am hoping he brings in Chris Clemons and gets someone in draft.

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/panthers/2006-11-22-peppers-cover_x.htm
Joe Theismann:
After watching Peppers notch three sacks, bat down a pass and recover a fumble in a 24-10 win against Tampa Bay, ESPNMonday Night Football analyst Joe Theismann put Peppers in rarefied air, comparing him to Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor.

"This is the best way to put in perspective the way we viewed Lawrence, and I think this is the way people should view Julius," Theismann says. "When coaches draw up defenses, they use letters to denote defensive players: 'C' for corner, 'S' for safety, so on. In Washington, we would use letters until it came to Lawrence. For him, we used No. 56, and it was always bigger than everything else. That visually put everything into context, saying, 'This guy is better than anybody else on that board.' "

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/14/aikman-peppers-is-a-game-changer/
Troy Aikman:
For Aikman, the Bears allowing Peppers to attack the middle of an offensive line is reminiscent of one of the greatest defensive linemen in the history of the game he used to play against.

“Going to back to when I was playing, they used to do that, the Philadelphia Eagles did, with Reggie White,” Aikman said. “You think you know where he’s going to be, or you anticipate that he’s going to be here most of the time, but then you know he’s going to move up and down that offensive line until he finds a matchup that he feels good about. That puts some stress on an offense.”

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...118_1_three-technique-famer-dan-hampton-bears

Dan Hampton:
The Bears' other pass rushers might benefit from Peppers the DT more than Peppers the DE.
"As a defensive end you can affect (only) so much of what happens," Hampton said. "If they turn a guard to you or chip you with a tight end, you're basically going to be a non-factor. But if you're coming up the middle, with his (6-foot-7, 287-pound) frame, it's a force. It's a deal breaker."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/29/hampton-peppers-is-leader-of-defense/
Dan Hampton:
“Julius Peppers is the guy, the lead dog that is bringing this group from a mediocre group to a group that is throwing people around” Hampton said. “They were physical. They were relentless…Julius Peppers has been a huge influence on how, maybe, the way they prepare, but [also] the way they’re playing. And that’s the big thing.”

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/18/nfl-all-pro-team/index.html
Peter King:
Though Peppers had but eight sacks this year, he had a huge impact on a defense that went from 21st in the league in points allowed in 2009 to fourth this year; from 4.3 yards per rush last year to 3.7 this year; from 29 touchdown passes surrendered last year to 14 this year. He pushes the pocket. He buzzes around the quarterback. He makes other guys -- Israel Idonije, Tommie Harris -- better.There's no question the return of Brian Urlacher at the pivot point of the defense has been a significant addition, but Peppers has been the most important reason the Bears have become the Monsters of the Midway again, and that's why he's my defensive player of the year.
He's the John Stockton of the Bears defense, the guy who makes everyone around him better.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-07-04-top-10-defensive-ends_n.htm
Deacon Jones:
"Julius Peppers impresses me as much as anyone," Jones says. "He has it all."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/3656/rexs-favorite-bear
Rex Ryan:
Of course, I also realize that this guy is the best there is.
"He’s another guy, you can’t throw over him," Ryan said. "That’s what’s so underrated about him. You can try to throw intermediate passes over him ... Well, maybe you can or maybe you can’t. The guy’s wingspan is incredible. His height, wingspan. It’s just incredible how many plays he makes. He’ll bat it down and then he’ll catch it. There’s very few Julius Peppers’ walking the face of this earth."

http://deadspin.com/5611609/brian-urlacher-thinks-julius-peppers-is-the-best-player-hes-ever-seen
Brian Urlacher:
"I'll say this about Peppers, he's the best football player I've ever seen. He's 300 pounds. He does things DBs are doing. I don't know how we got him, but I'm glad we did."

http://www.yardbarker.com/
Lovie Smith:
"Julius Peppers is arguably the best player in the NFL, that is what I think. I get a chance to watch him. The things he does, you know, he will very seldom lead the league in sacks because he gets respect always double team, triple team. But he had a heck of a year."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5900330
Lovie Smith:
"No doubt, he makes the defense better. We've had great football players here, but this is a special player we're talking about," Smith said.

Bill Belichick:
"You could put him anywhere on the field," Belichick said. "He can play on the front line, he could play linebacker. He could play strong safety. He could play anywhere on the defensive line. He's tall. Richard Seymour was tall and he played there. Put him out at tight end, make a left tackle out of him. I wouldn't want to tackle him if he was carrying the ball. He's a great player."

Tom Brady:
"He's one of the best in the league. He's big, strong, fast, athletic. He's got seven sacks, wreaking havoc," Brady said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4667827/angelos-thoughts-on-lovie-peppers-and-more
Jerry Angelo:
I think he’s great. I wouldn’t take another defensive player in the league outside of him. He’s a great player. He has impacted our defense. He’s a guy you have to account for. He plays all three downs. Don’t let the sack numbers be the end result of how you measure this guy. He really, truly is a great player. He has been a great leader for us, too, and you can’t minimize the intangibles. I think a big part of why we’ve been playing good defense is intangibly, we’re very, very strong. I’ve got to say this: It starts with him.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B02EFD8113DF932A3575BC0A9669D8B63
Michael Strahan:
Q. Who do you think will break your record of 22.5 sacks in a season?A. DeMarcus Ware is amazing. Julius Peppers is amazing. They look like they can do it.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...cago--20111202_1_peppers-israel-idonije-sacks
"Guy is a monster," weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs said.

Offered Idonije: "He literally is throwing guys all over the place. I mean, throwing tackles, tight ends, it doesn't matter who he's lined up against. He has his way with those guys. It's just incredible to watch."

It's the kind of performance that doesn't translate into stat sheets and doesn't even get its proper due on a highlight show.

"The numbers don't talk about what he did," defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. "It was the intensity of the game he played at, the speed. My God, the details of his pass rush. Forget the sacks already. Some of the rushes where the ball came out quick, they were some of the prettiest rushes you'd ever want to see. Just beautiful, the skill, the technique, the work habit, you know? He's starting to really come right now. It ignites everybody else around him."

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/deep-article-julius-peppers-786596/
Howie Long:
"It's rare when you have the opportunity to see a player who is ahead of his time," said Howie Long, a Hall of Fame defensive end and Fox Sports NFL analyst. "Lawrence Taylor was ahead of his time. Kellen Winslow was ahead of his time. They gave you a snapshot glimpse of what you could see in the future. Julius Peppers is that way."

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/every-play-counts/2006/every-play-counts-julius-peppers
Peppers showed on Sunday that he's not just a good player. He's the best defensive player in the NFL.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-peppersbears011411
“[Peppers] can force them to change what they’re doing, because they have to pay more attention to him,” Idonije said. “I’ve been fortunate this year just to be able to reap the benefits of that.”

Peppers makes plays in spite of double teams and he empowers Smith’s Tampa 2-based defense to stick to its roots, relying on a four-man rush instead of counting on linebackers and defensive backs to blitz. According to Football Outsiders, the Bears rushed six or more defenders on 16.7 percent of passes in 2009, the third-highest rate in the league. They also sent only four players on 56.4 percent of pass plays (22nd). This season, though, the Bears have sent six or more defenders just 1.4 percent of plays (25th), and they relied on a four-man rush 72.2 percent of pass plays, the third-highest total in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Byrd is better then anyone on current roster by miles, but this whole "Byrd or bust" thing is ridiculous. I am sure TT has a plan for safety. Burnett has to start due to contract, I am hoping he brings in Chris Clemons and gets someone in draft.

The plan will be Calvin Pryor in the draft imo.

gthog61

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers played 81% of the snaps last year. He won't have to play nearly as many for us (nobody else does) so he should be able to be kept fresh. He has also been sturdy throughout his career. It's basiccaly a one year deal unless it goes well so I like it.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
On another site, someone posted alignment statistics from the 2011 season - Capers played the 2-4 62% of the time. That's nothing short of unbelievable - no other team was even close; and of course we had one of worst statistical seasons in NFL history. When he went to a more traditional 3-4, the damage was mitigated, but he simply couldn't help himself, and would immediately go back to the 2-4, and the bleeding would begin again.
Where are the stats comparing the success/failure of the different alignments Capers has used? It’s not enough to say the 2-4 was used the majority of the time without knowing how that alignment compared with others. How do you know the 3-4 was more successful and what were the differences in down and distance? And you continue to exaggerate by not taking Capers entire tenure in Green Bay into account, including the 2012 regular season. BTW I missed your analysis of the Packers D vs. San Fran in the most recent playoff game. Did that look like “obviously disasterous” considering the players missing?

Again, I advocated firing Capers but focusing on the 2-4 and exaggerating its impact is misplaced IMO. Over the past three seasons who were the classic 3-4 DEs that Capers could have started and left on the field in passing situations? Raji the way he’s played the past three years? (Having Raji start at DE was a sign they didn’t have traditional 3-4 DEs to play there. IMO the best thing about re-signing Raji is (1) it’s a one year deal and (2) he’s moving back to NT.) Did you want CJ Wilson at DE on passing downs? Jolly added a spark but his conditioning wouldn’t allow him to lead the DL in snaps. Where did their best pass rushing DL Daniels fit in the traditional 3-4? IMO his best spot by far is lining up inside but he certainly isn’t a NT. And what does the DC do with ‘tweeners like Mike Neal and Nick Perry? He stands them up on the LOS in the 2-4-5. Would it be better if they were in the same alignment only with their hand on the ground? No. Having players like Neal and Perry put their hand on the ground and then (on occasion) asking them to drop back in coverage ala a zone blitz would make it even harder for them in coverage – something both struggle with anyway. On most downs the 2-4-5 is used the OLBs rush the passer or set the edge so it is in effect a 4-2-5 with (supposedly) more athletic and versatile “DEs” than a 4-3. And what is a 4-2-5? That’s right, the traditional nickel alignment. Since you continue to harp on the 2-4, let us know which DL should have played the 3-man line the majority of the time over the past three seasons.

Better questions IMO are how often did the DC send more than 4 rushers and how effective were those blitzes? How about when he rushed fewer than 4 relying on coverage? The supposed advantage of the 2-4-5 is the unpredictability of where the pass rushers are coming from so one of my biggest criticisms of Capers is not using the unpredictability of the 2-4 enough. From what we’ve heard this off season I believe McCarthy has told Capers to correct that and that should mean moving Matthews, and now Peppers, around more. And with Daniels and (hopefully) an ascending player or two from the group of Datone, Neal, Perry, Worthy, a rookie? Capers should be able to get consistent pressure just sending 4. That has been the case in San Fran and Seattle but definitely hasn’t been the case, personnel-wise, in Green Bay. It’s no coincidence defenses that do that (get pressure without blitzing) do very well in the NFL.

BTW, with the addition of Peppers, Capers may have the personnel to line up in a 3-4 more often. Peppers, Raji and Jones, if Datone starts TC as he did last season (before the injury) and continues to improve. I don't expect Peppers to play 80% of the snaps but that kind of lineup, with legit 3-4 DEs was not an option at all for Capers last season. Not even close.

If they are relatively healthy, there is no reason the defense shouldn’t be significantly better this season. I expect a top 10 D in scoring (since they were 11th in 2012 and should be better IMO). In addition to an improved pass rush, a play making Hayward should be back 100%. There will be a better safety starting next to Burnett (how could there not be?) and the draft is likely to bring in a contributor on defense (rookies Hyde and Hayward were in their rookie seasons the last two drafts). I too have expressed concern on this forum about Capers’ track record of immediate success with a franchise and then his Ds dropping off. I think the table will be set for him to engineer a resurgence on defense (aided by a running game and healthy Rodgers that should help keep the pressure off of the D) and if he doesn’t, he should be gone.

- - -
I don’t have a problem with anyone mentioning Reggie White but IMO he is the greatest defensive player in the history of the game. As great as he was rushing the passer, he was equally great against the run. We Packers fans should keep in mind Reggie had already played 10 seasons of professional football before he arrived in Green Bay. Look at his entire pro career and no one comes close IMO.

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome!

I believe even though Peppers is 34 years old, he is such a freak athlete that he can play well until he is near 40 much like Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Chris Doleman, Kevin Greene, etc.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...a-number/fcc1ee1f-d875-477a-a680-511fa190c271

They say Father Time is undefeated, but
Julius Peppers isn't about to concede anything. The Bears defensive end is 33 years old, but insists he feels much younger.

"I feel like I'm 25," Peppers said. "Age is just a number that gets put on players. It's real, but it's really in your heart and mind how you feel. I feel young in those places, and I think it's showing."

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers is still a very good DE, yeah he is 34 but i think he has plenty in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Troy Aikman:

“Going to back to when I was playing, they used to do that, the Philadelphia Eagles did, with Reggie White
,” Aikman said. “You think you know where he’s going to be, or you anticipate that he’s going to be here most of the time, but then you know he’s going to move up and down that offensive line until he finds a matchup that he feels good about. That puts some stress on an offense.”
Uh-Oh, IVO is going to hunt down Aikman and kick is ****.
Comparing Julius Peppers to Reggie White? What the hell does Aikman know?

PredatorPeppers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peppers and Matthews rushing together is going to be terrifying for opposing teams QB's.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are the stats comparing the success/failure of the different alignments Capers has used? It’s not enough to say the 2-4 was used the majority of the time without knowing how that alignment compared with others. How do you know the 3-4 was more successful and what were the differences in down and distance? And you continue to exaggerate by not taking Capers entire tenure in Green Bay into account, including the 2012 regular season. BTW I missed your analysis of the Packers D vs. San Fran in the most recent playoff game. Did that look like “obviously disasterous” considering the players missing?

In the last 2 SF games Capers has played more 3-4 than against any other team. And the results were far better.

Go back and look at the SF playoff debacle, and you'll see the Niners just eating the 2-4 alive. Capers played more 3-4 in the next game, the season opener, and we shut down the run, but gave up 412 yds passing.

Out of 72 plays in that game, Capers ran the 2-4 or 1-5, 22 times. The results were, 4 punts, 10 first downs, a TD, and a FG - but the FG wasn't a stop due to the 2-4, it was a stop due to the 3-4, as we had a TFL of -7 out of the 3-4, and the Niners then had a 5 yd penalty. On third and goal from the 22, they gained 14 yds against the 2-4, and then kicked the FG.

Out of those plays, we gave up 225 yds - which is an average of 10.23 yds/play.

Futhermore, one of my chief complaints about the 2-4, is that Capers plays it on early downs, or downs that could be either/or.

On 1st and 2nd down in that game, or 3rd and 5 or less, there were 7 such plays where Capers ran a 2-4. On those 7 plays, we gave up, 115 yds, and had 1 sack.

That's an average of 16.43 yds/play on those downs.

Again, I advocated firing Capers but focusing on the 2-4 and exaggerating its impact is misplaced IMO. Over the past three seasons who were the classic 3-4 DEs that Capers could have started and left on the field in passing situations? Raji the way he’s played the past three years? (Having Raji start at DE was a sign they didn’t have traditional 3-4 DEs to play there. IMO the best thing about re-signing Raji is (1) it’s a one year deal and (2) he’s moving back to NT.) Did you want CJ Wilson at DE on passing downs? Jolly added a spark but his conditioning wouldn’t allow him to lead the DL in snaps. Where did their best pass rushing DL Daniels fit in the traditional 3-4? IMO his best spot by far is lining up inside but he certainly isn’t a NT. And what does the DC do with ‘tweeners like Mike Neal and Nick Perry? He stands them up on the LOS in the 2-4-5. Would it be better if they were in the same alignment only with their hand on the ground? No. Having players like Neal and Perry put their hand on the ground and then (on occasion) asking them to drop back in coverage ala a zone blitz would make it even harder for them in coverage – something both struggle with anyway. On most downs the 2-4-5 is used the OLBs rush the passer or set the edge so it is in effect a 4-2-5 with (supposedly) more athletic and versatile “DEs” than a 4-3. And what is a 4-2-5? That’s right, the traditional nickel alignment. Since you continue to harp on the 2-4, let us know which DL should have played the 3-man line the majority of the time over the past three seasons.

I agree that TT has not provided traditional 3-4 personnel - but that only means that Capers has to find a way to make it work. We certainly did have enough 3-4 personnel that could run a traditional 3-4 last year though. Pickett and Jolly are both effective 2-gappers, and anyone of Raji, Jolly, CJ Wilson, D. Jones, and Boyd could play DE in a rotation.

As for subpackages, the best approach would be a 3-3 nickel that allows the most talent on the field in those situations. I would save Daniels for subpackages only; I would not play Perry at OLB at all, and would save him for DE in a 3-3 front; and while I would play D.Jones some in the base, I would have looked at a 3-3 alignment D. Jones, Daniels, and Perry with their hands on the ground; Matthews and Neal at OLB; and any combination of Hawk, B. Jones, or Mulumba as the 3rd LB, depending on opponent, down/distance, etc.

Now with Peppers, I would hope to see a 3-3 of Peppers, Daniels, and D.Jones/Perry as down linemen, with Matthews, Neal, and Hawk/B. Jones/Mulumba.

I would also look at an honest 4-2, with 4 down linemen, and Matthews with any one of Hawk/Neal/B. Jones/ and Mulumba at the other LB.

I do not agree that the 2-4 is really a 4-2. Our 2-4 is very static. The OLB's always rush upfield, and the DT's very rarely stunt. It's a 4 man rush, but it's very predictable and offers no flexibility. Worse still, is the fact that Hawk and B. Jones are always on the field - they don't come off in the 2-4; whereas in a 4-2, at least one of those guys will be on the bench - a good thing.

Better questions IMO are how often did the DC send more than 4 rushers and how effective were those blitzes? How about when he rushed fewer than 4 relying on coverage? The supposed advantage of the 2-4-5 is the unpredictability of where the pass rushers are coming from so one of my biggest criticisms of Capers is not using the unpredictability of the 2-4 enough. From what we’ve heard this off season I believe McCarthy has told Capers to correct that and that should mean moving Matthews, and now Peppers, around more. And with Daniels and (hopefully) an ascending player or two from the group of Datone, Neal, Perry, Worthy, a rookie? Capers should be able to get consistent pressure just sending 4. That has been the case in San Fran and Seattle but definitely hasn’t been the case, personnel-wise, in Green Bay. It’s no coincidence defenses that do that (get pressure without blitzing) do very well in the NFL.

Capers is great at dialing up creative blitizes, he just doesn't do it very often out of the 2-4, and the personnel he has on the field severely limit the possibilies. Brad Jones and AJ Hawk are both substandard players, and are a big reason why the 2-4 as run by the Packers is so bad.

We would have infinitely better options from a 3-3, and the personnel on the field are much better suited to generating pass rush.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
When I saw the headline this morning I doubled checked the calendar: Nope, it’s not April Fools Day. (I’ll bet Clay Matthews had to double check to make sure it isn’t Christmas.) This is so out of Ted Thompson’s wheelhouse it’s a little hard to believe. It’s not a ‘first wave of free agency sign a big name for crazy money’ signing just because Peppers is a big name and productive player. But it’s obviously the biggest name Thompson has signed since Woodson. The biggest reason it is such a surprise to me is Peppers’ age. But that’s also why he was as “affordable” as he was.

Consider this from Peppers’ point of view: His chance to go to the Super Bowl was quashed by the Packers at Soldier Field. Then last season’s shot at the playoffs was ruined by the Packers. If you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em. I hope this is what it looks like: A player who has already earned several boat loads of money and all the accolades one could dream of wanting to finish his career with a championship.

The Packers defensive backfield just got better. The linebackers just got better. The other D linemen just got better. Clay Matthews will have (somewhat) less attention paid to him. Dom Capers, Mike Trgovac, and the rest of the defensive coaching staff just became a lot smarter.

I’m surprised at this signing and it’s somewhat of a gamble. But it’s not a long-range gamble. IMO it’s a gamble many Packers fans have been yearning for: A win it all within the next couple of years gamble.
As we have already discussed in another thread, Jack, I am less surprised, but totally agree that this is a gamble. It's not a guarantee and may be a wasted $8M this year. But, I like it never the less. It's what I was yearning for. I hope it pays off.

D

Deleted member 6794

Peppers deal is for three years and $28 million, including $1 million in bonuses each of the last two seasons that he has to earn.

This means a cap hit of $3.5 million this year, $12 million in 2015 and $10.5 million in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The following is how he has graded out the past 4 years for 4-3 DEs according to PFF

2013 - 36th
2012 - 18th
2011 - 7th
2010 - 3rd

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you write that yourself this time?
Wow what a funny one.
Yes even the captions.

I notice you ignored the part about Aikman mentioning Reggie & Peppers in the same sentence even though you in sulted me or anyone if we even compared the two signings/players.

Members online

Latest posts